Subject: Gnu Ada 1.78 available
From: [email-masked] (Rolf EBERT)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 02:43:56 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Voila, a new version of GNAT.

Here comes the Gnu Ada compiler for Linux as of April 2nd (1.78). I have
uploaded gnat-1.78-l1.tar.gz to SunSite, tsx-11, and Nic. You can find
it in the following directories:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/devel/ada/gnat-1.78.l1.tar.gz
nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/util/languages/gnat-1.78.l1.tar.gz
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/packages/Ada/gnat-1.78.l1.tar.gz
cs.nyu.edu:/pub/gnat/gnat-1.78.l1.tar.gz

They replace the previous version gnat-1.75.l1.tar.gz

Read the file 'features' for what has changed since the last version
(mostly bug fixes). There is a cross-referencer gnatf. For its usage see
the file gnat-intro.

The GNAT project will implement the full Ada9X language which has full
support of Object Oriented Programming (using a slightly different
approach than C++, see the paper intro-9x.txt), has already working
Generics (aka templates), exception handling, and a full tasking support
within the language itself (the runtime support is not yet ready, but
they work heavily on it)

I have tested the compiler on the examples and of course on itself. The
executable that you find in this distribution has compiled itself. There
was a bug in previous versions of the Linux assembler 'as'. If you got
yours before X-mas'93, I recommend an update to the current version.

You find some documentation about using GNAT and Ada9x in
./usr/src/gnat/doc

Since version 2.5.0, Ada support already is included in the main
distribution of GCC. So we don't need a special driver program anymore
(/usr/bin/gcc). This means that you must have installed a version of GCC
2.5.X. (I don't support 2.4.5 anymore) You will need libc-4.5.19.  at
least.

Perhaps it is a good idea to get the latest Ada9X reference manual from:

ajpo.sei.cmu.edu:/public/ada9x/rm9x/v4.0

It might look a bit thick, but there are a lot of instructive examples
and you better understand the list of supported and unsupported features
of the current release.

examples are in 

./usr/src/gnat/examples

I have not yet build a dyn. library since I don't really know how to do
it and the Runtime Library changes quite rapidly.

Please read gnat-intro (a kind of user guide for GNU-Ada)

BUGS

There are still a few, mostly known. It is not yet a complete system.
If you have problems using gnat please tell me ([email-masked]) first. I
will check on a Sparc Station if it is a Linux port problem or a bug in
GNAT.

If you have general questions concerning Ada, please read comp.lang.ada
and the useful FAQ. A lot of Ada information can be found at

  wuarchive.wustl.edu:/languages/ada

and for Mosaic users:

  http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.