Subject: selection-1.7 released (copy and paste for virtual consoles)
From: Andrew Haylett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 12:26:55 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the release of selection-1.7, a utility for xterm-like copy and
paste on Linux virtual consoles using the mouse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you weren't expecting to see another release of selection quite
this soon (one week after the last one), but there was a problem with
PS/2 support (thanks to Patrick Kane <[email-masked]> for reporting
this).  I have fixed the problem, and have also added support for key
modifiers to mouse buttons,  so that for those with  two-button mice,
a third extra function can be `overloaded' onto one key.  The default
behaviour now is for ctrl-left-button to perform the extend function.
This also means that  normal selection  behaviour can be  temporarily
restored while xterm report mode is enabled  by holding down  the ALT
key.

IMPORTANT NOTE -  This release of selection requires a kernel version
1.1.35 or greater to operate correctly. Your excuse to upgrade to the
leading edge...

If you cannot upgrade to 1.1.35,  please continue using selection-1.5
until the required kernel patches are merged into the "stable" kernel
release.   On the other hand, if there is enough demand, I might look
at providing patches for 1.0.9  to enable the use of  most aspects of
selection-1.6.

The new version can currently be found at

    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/selection-1.7.tar.gz

Fixes and new features for 1.7 include:

 -  corrected problem with PS/2 mice.
 -  added ability to modify mouse buttons with alt, ctrl and shift keys.
 -  can use normal selection mechanism even while in xterm report mode.
 -  more comprehensive error reporting.

Fixes and new features for 1.6 include, for information:

 -  added extend button functionality.
 -  added wrap-around option.
 -  added screen unblank feature.
 -  corrected problem with pastes over 1023 bytes.
 -  when switching back from graphics to text mode, re-initializes mouse.
 -  added facility to toggle mouse modem lines.
 -  corrected problems with Logitech mouse in Microsoft mode.
 -  corrected problem with PS/2 mouse protocol.
 -  added support for middle button of Logitech mice in Microsoft mode.
 -  puts itself into background after initialization.
 -  mouse cursor stays up all the time; no need for initial click.
 -  supplies xterm-like mouse events to client on request.
 -  writes selection PID to file for terminating before starting X, and
     enables running selection process to be terminated easily.
 -  allows redefinition of character classes for "select word" function.
 -  removed kernel patch from distribution; now part of standard kernel.
 -  includes pre-compiled binary in distribution.

----
Andrew Haylett <[email-masked]>		Tel: +44 245 473331 x.3283
PGP2.6 public key available on request

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.