Subject: REPOST: WINTERP 2.03 (Motif Widget INTERPreter + Graphics/Animation)
From: "Niels P. Mayer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 12:36:58 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

WINTERP is the OSF/Motif *W*idget *INTERP*reter -- an interactive
application development and delivery environment featuring a high-level
object-oriented interface to the OSF/Motif Widgets and Xtoolkit, a
high-level object-oriented 2.5D graphics/animation widget based on Xtango's
path-transition animation paradigm, and facilities for communicating with
other Unix processes and data (e.g. for creating non-blocking GUIs wrapped
around existing interactive text-based programs and network
services). WINTERP's interpreter is "serverized" so that other applications
can communicate with WINTERP-based applications via unix domain sockets, or
optionally, through internet domain sockets. WINTERP's built-in interpreter
is based on XLISP-PLUS, which is a small, fast, portable, C-implemented
interpreter providing a subset of Common-Lisp functionality and a
Smalltalk-inspired object system.

WINTERP 2.0 has been reported to compile and run on the following
platforms: SGI Irix 5.2, HP HPUX 8.0 and 9.0 (s300,s400,s700,s800), SunOS
4.1.3 (using 'gcc', or using Sun's product 'cc' compiler), Sun Solaris 2.3
(with Sun's 2.3 SDK supplied Motif and compiler), DEC Ultrix 4.3, DEC OSF1
V2.0, NeXTStep 3.0 (with CoXist X/Motif), Linux (using 'gcc'), and AIX
3.2.5 on IBM RS6000 (using IBM's product 'cc').

			--------------------

For further information on WINTERP, and for pointers to the latest version
of the software, World-Wide-Web/Mosaic users may want to check out the
WINTERP home page. This was recently updated to include some pages
summarizing the large number of example programs/scripts included with the
WINTERP distribution. If the description of a particular example program
interests you, you can click on a link to view the example code. WINTERP's
extensive documentation, plus some old papers describing WINTERP are also
available for browsing.

The WINTERP home page may be accessed via the following URL:
	http://www.eit.com/software/winterp/winterp.html

			--------------------

WINTERP 2.03 is a portability and documentation update, with some minor new
functionality thrown in for good measure. It contains the Linux patch
suggested by [email-masked] (Serge Kolgan) and the IBM AIX 3.2.5
patch suggested by [email-masked] (Duncan
Swain).  Since I haven't tested version 2.03 on those
architectures/machines, I'd appreciate hearing from anybody that has
success/problems compiling or running WINTERP 2.03 on Linux, AIX, or other
machines and OSs. 

You may pick up the entire 2.03 distribution, or just a patch to go from
version 2.02 to 2.03. These are available by anonymous ftp from ftp.x.org,
directory contrib/devel_tools:

-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon     284353 Jul 27 12:00 winterp-2.02-to-2.03.patch
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon    4105009 Jul 27 12:02 winterp-2.03.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon    2336781 Jul 27 12:02 winterp-2.03.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon      11305 Jul 27 12:00 winterp-2.XX.README

Also, if you've picked up WINTERP from the X Consortium X11r6 "contrib"
distribution, you may get a patch updating the original WINTERP 2.00 in
R6/contrib/Motif/winterp to version 2.03. The patch is available by
anonymous ftp from ftp.x.org, directory pub/R6/contrib-fixes:

-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon     304973 Jul 27 13:04 winterp-01
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp      daemon       3718 Jul 27 13:04 winterp-01.README

			--------------------

The following changes were made to WINTERP 2.03:

	* Linux Changes (thanks to Serge Kolgan -- [email-masked])
	  ** Updated src-server/expect/pty_bsd.c. Added #ifdef for Linux -- #include <bsd/sgtty.h>
	  ** Added Makefile.linux in all C directories (derived from Makefile.sun4)
	* AIX Changes (thanks to Duncan Swain -- [email-masked])
	  ** Patched src-server/widgets/Table.c and src-server/widgets/Graph.c
	     so they wouldn't cause compilation errors on AIX.
	  ** TODO: add Makefile.aix (for now, use xmkmf/imake to generate makefiles).
	* Updated Makefiles
	  ** fixed 'make install' for src-client/Makefile.* .
	  ** fixed 'make install' for src-server/Makefile.{sun4,sungc,NeXT,Ultrx,
	     linux}. Makefile.{hpux8,hpux9,irix5,osf1} contain SYSV-ish
	     'install -f' useage, whereas others use BSDish 'install'.
	* Updated all Makefile.solar (Solaris) -- removed '-X c' compilation mode
	  (strict ANSI) and replaced with default mode. Strict ANSI gave lots
	  of stupid warnings from procedures from stdio.h and string.h whose
	  return value declarations got changed from 'int' to
	  'size_t == unsigned int' (???).
	* Updated doc/winterp.doc with a variety of information, typo fixes,
	  new functionality, etc.
	* Updated doc/winterp.man, doc/wl-tcpip.man, doc/wl.man with
	  information on WINTERP home page, fixed some layout problems.
	* Added Motif 1.2 Manager resource :XMN_INITIAL_FOCUS
	* Added Motif 1.2 methods: 
		WIDGET_CLASS Method :GET_FOCUS_WIDGET ;
		WIDGET_CLASS Method :GET_TAB_GROUP ;
		WIDGET_CLASS Method :IS_TRAVERSABLE ;
		WIDGET_CLASS Method :GET_VISIBILITY .
	* Removed global setting of resource '*traversalOn: True' in
	  src-server/Winterp.ad -- may interfere with keyboard traversal 
	  defaults if you use Motif with '*keyboardFocusPolicy: Explicit'.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
==           Niels Mayer -- netcom!mayer -- [email-masked]               ==
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.