Subject: procps-0.96 uploaded to sunsite+tsx-11
From: Charles Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1994 02:42:13 +0300
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I have just uploaded a bug-fixing, feature adding version of the procps suite
for Linux to sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu.  The final resting places
should be sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Misc/ps/procps-0.96.tgz and
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/procps/procps-0.96.tgz.

Michael Johnson, the primary author of procps, has become too busy editing
Linux Journal and asked me to take over procps for him.  This is my first
release, so bear with me if I screw up too badly :-)   All bug reports and
suggestions go to me:

        [email-masked]

Major highlights of this release include:

    Multi-process ID list arguments to 'ps' allow it to list just the
    PID's you tell it too.  This was done by Michael Shields.

    Multiple format specifications is no longer an "error".  The last
    one is used.

    Updated 'ps' and 'top' man pages

    'top' substantially improved and worked over by Michael Shields.
    New features include a "secure" mode, more command line options,
    a cumulative-time mode for fork-happy processes, better cleanup,
    and a much improved man page.  Thanks Michael.

    Bugs fixed where procps programs would dump core if /proc was not
    mounted or had screwy permissions.  Also fixed bugs where no processes
    are running on a requested controlling terminal causing seg. faults.

    Makefile is more flexible (arbitrary prefix can be added to all the
    binaries and man pages during install) and more FSSTND conformant.

    Newer kernel behavior for the tty field of /proc/*/stat handled.
    Currently a flag in the makefile has to be uncommented.  In case you
    didn't know between 1.0.x and 1.1.x it was decided that there may be
    other tty major numbers and so that field is now the full device number,
    major << 4 + minor, whereas it used to be just the minor.  Once 1.2
    is released by Linus, I'll make the default assumption be the new format
    and people using 1.0.x or earlier will have to set a makefile flag.

Happy process listings!
Chuck

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.