Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Linux Help Files By Mail (monthly post)
From: "Bill C. Riemers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 18:11:46 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Linux help files by e-mail!

	This service is intended for those without ftp access.  If you do
	have ftp access, ftp bohr.physics.purdue.edu instead of use the
	mail handler.  (Currently I'm using the BCRMailHandler312 with 
	to respond to process your requests.)

INFO ON LINUX, UNIX, AND XFREE86.  How does it work?  Send a message to
one of the following servers with a Subject line specifying your request.

SERVERS:

  [email-masked]    (U.S. server)
  [email-masked]          (European server)

For the U.S. server only:
 Requests received between 8:00am and 11:59am EST will be mailed at 12:00pm EST.
 Requests received between 12:55pm and 4:59pm EST will be mailed at 5:00pm EST.
 All other requests will be mailed as soon as they are received.

For the European server only:
 All requests are mailed as soon as they are received, but the local mailer
 is very slow.  (This server occassionally hangs.)

REQUESTS:

Your Subject line will determine what information you are sent.  The
following Subject lines are recognized.  My mail handler attempts
to correct common errors, if the Subject still isn't recognized
your message is forwarded to me as e-mail, and you will be sent
form-letter informing you of the error.

SUBJECT                           ACTION (commands the mail handler)
======================== ==============================================
ascii                    don't use uuencode and gzip
binary                   use uuencode and gzip
silent                   silently forwards your message to me
bugs                     SAME AS silent
re:                      SAME AS silent  (i.e. I recieve replies...)
incoming                 SAME AS silent  (for submitting new files)
======================== ==============================================

SUBJECT                           ACTION (mails you)
======================== ==============================================
help                     An updated version of this file
------------------------ -------------------------------Maintained here
xconfig-ati              Lists ATI Xconfig files available.
xconfig-cirrus           Lists CIRRUS Xconfig files available.
xconfig-diamond          Lists DIAMOND Xconfig files available.
xconfig-misc             Lists misc. Xconfig files available.
xconfig-orchid           Lists ORCHID Xconfig files available.
xconfig-paradise         Lists PARADISE Xconfig files available.
xconfig-trident          Lists TRIDENT Xconfig files available.
xconfig-tseng            Lists TSENG Xconfig files available.
------------------------ ------------------------------Updated:  3:38am
faq-gcc                  FAQ about GCC
faq-lilo                 FAQ about LILO (boot loader)
faq-ext2fs               FAQ about ext2fs (Linux filesystem type)
faq-linux                The general Linux FAQ (plain text)
faq-nfs                  FAQ about NFS
------------------------ ------------------------------Updated: 20MAR94
install-guide C          The Linux Installation Guide 2.0 Contents
install-guide 1          Chapter 1, Introduction
install-guide 2          Chapter 2, Getting  Linux, a few ways to get it
install-guide 3          Chapter 3, Installing Linux
install-guide 4          Chapter 4, Linux Tutorial, UNIX introduction
install-guide 5          Chapter 5, System Administration
install-guide 6          Chapter 6, Advanced Features
install-guide A          Appendix, all the Appendixes
install-guide C 1 2 3 4 5 6 A    The whole guide (8 letters)
------------------------ ------------------------------Updated:  3:38am
howto-busmouse           Using busmice with Linux and Xfree86.
howto-distribution       Distributions of the Linux software
howto-ethernet           Using Ethernet cards and networks
howto-ftape              Using QIC ftape drivers for Linux
howto-index              INDEX to HOWTO docs (READ ME!)
howto-hardware           Hardware compatibility list
howto-info               Basic Linux information
howto-installation       Getting and Installing Linux
howto-je                 JE, a set of Japanese Extensions for Linux.
howto-meta               Linux sources of information
howto-mail               Using electronic mail with Linux
howto-mgr                The MGR windowing system for Linux
howto-mini-bogomips      What is a BoGoMip?
howto-mini-swap          Sharing swap space between Windows3.X and Linux
howto-net2               Configuring NET-2 (TCP/IP) software for Linux
howto-news               Setting up USENET news for Linux
howto-pci                Information on Linux & PCI boards
howto-printing           Printing and configuring printing software
howto-reading            A list of references to read.
howto-scsi               Using and configuring SCSI devices 
howto-serial             Information on serial devices and communications
howto-sound              Using sound-related hardware and software
howto-term               Describes how to setup and use TERM
howto-uucp               Setting up UUCP with Linux
howto-xfree86            Installing and configuring X-Windows for Linux
------------------------ ------------------------------Updated:  3:38am
unix-faq c               The comp.unix.questions FAQ table of contents 
unix-faq 1               General questions.
unix-faq 2               Relatively basic questions, asked by beginners
unix-faq 3               Intermediate questions.
unix-faq 4               Advanced questions
unix-faq 5               Questions pertaining to the various shells.
unix-faq 6               An overview of Unix variants.
unix-faq 7               An comparison of configuration management sys.
unix-faq c 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 The full comp.unix.questions FAQ
------------------------ ----------------------------------------------
<anything else>          delivers an error, and forwards your message 
======================== ==============================================

  NOTE1: If your mail server does not support a Subject line, send a message
         with the key-word SUBJECT: followed by one of the above subjects.

  NOTE2: Most of the help files are posted in comp.os.linux.announce
         if you have access to this newsgroup obtain the HELP and FAQ files
         there!  

  NOTE3: Additional files are avialable by mail at [email-masked]
         and [email-masked].  When mailing "mail-server", please
         include "help" in the body of your message.

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.