Subject: Australian Linux/*BSD FTP/BBS/People site list
From: [email-masked] (Andrew J. Cosgriff)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 03:01:46 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,aus.computers,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.386bsd.announce

Well, we have the beginnings of some BSD stuff here.
Any more additions ?

Enjoy,
 Andrew.
--cut--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        The Canonical List of Australian FTP sites and BBSes and People
                     that carry Linux and {Free,Net}BSD.

                          1993-4 Andrew J. Cosgriff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$Revision: 1.0.0.15 $

$Source: /home/andrew/src/lists/RCS/AustLinuxFTP.txt,v $

$Date: 1994/07/26 21:17:29 $

$Author: andrew $

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any additions and/or comments on this list, please mail me at
the following address :

                         [email-masked]

The list is by no means complete, so *please* get in touch with me if you
can correct any of the info.

You can get the list from one of two places :
    i) off of the USENET newsgroups aus.computers.linux and
       comp.os.linux.announce
    ii) by sending mail to [email-masked]
        (Make sure you have a valid "From:" header !)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 : FTP sites
-------------

bond.edu.au:/pub/OS/Linux

Distributions : SLS, MCC

Notes : Full mirror of tsx-11.mit.edu with bits of sunsite.
        Also has BSD 4.4-Lite.

--

broncho.ct.monash.edu.au:/pub/FreeBSD-1.[01]-RELEASE

Distributions : FreeBSD 1.0 and 1.1

Maintainer : Simon Lai <[email-masked]>

Notes : If people want to send me tapes or diskettes I am happy to copy
        FreeBSD onto them.  (email me before sending anything please !)

--

ftp.ctpm.uq.oz.au:/pub/linux

Distributions : Slackware

Maintainer : Jason Andrade <[email-masked]>

Notes : I usually try and carry the latest slackware release, as well as the
	latest kernel and term stuff.

--

minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au:/BSD

Distributions : FreeBSD, 4.4 BSD-Lite.
                (also has some Minix stuff.)
		
Maintainer : Warren Toomey <[email-masked]>

--

monu1.cc.monash.edu.au:/pub/linux

Distributions : MCC, Slackware

Maintainer : Tim MacKenzie <[email-masked]>

Notes : A partial mirror of sunsite + one or two other directories

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/GCC  -> pub/linux/GCC
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/X11 (except devel/ )
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/distributions/MCC
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Linux-boot/lilo
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm
nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus -> pub/linux/kernel
wuarchive.cdrom.com:/pub/linux/slackware -> pub/linux/distributions/slackware

--

sol.deakin.edu.au:/Linux

Distributions : SLS

Notes : Also has docs directory (FAQs, etc.)

--

yamabico.cs.uow.edu.au:/pub/linux

Distributions: MCC, Slackware, SLS

Notes : Also has BETA & packages dir. trees from tsx-11,
        lib dir. from sunsite,
        docs directory, and more...
	
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 : BBSes
---------

NEW SOUTH WALES
---------------

Name : Linux Support OZ (lsupoz.apana.org.au)

Number : (02) 418-8750 (v.32bis - 3 lines)

Sysop / Contact Address : [email-masked] (Anthony Rumble)

Notes : My system offers Shell Accounts for $5 a month or 12c/hour + $10
        joining fee. It has Linux Files, and Internet News/E-Mail (And it
        runs under Linux).
        ** NOTE ** We have 250 members now, so we're no longer taking new
	memberships.

--

Name : Triode

Number : (02)-389-8790

Sysop : Paul Black

Notes : The interests I'm catering for are developer oriented
        with special interests in C/C++, Object Oriented, Linux Sources,
        Music and SF. I've got heaps of online storage which I am
        populating with the latest Linux sources. Do your PC a favour login
        to Triode and download Linux or a new kernel... 

--

Name : Kralizec

Number : (02) 837-1183 (300-14400 bps + v.42bis, 8N1), login as 'guest'
         (02) 837-1868 (300-14400 bps + v.42bis, 8N1), login as 'guest'

Sysop / Contact Address : [email-masked] (Nick Andrew)

Notes : - basic charge $10/month (10 hours online per month).
        - full Internet link.
        - additional connect time $1/hour.
        - start-up fee of $60 (which gives $60 credit).
        - 5 lines (guest access on two), all at 14.4k.
        - 2 Hosts, Kralizec and Godzilla.
        - reading and posting email and news is free.
        - ftpmail access.
        - we place a lot of emphasis on quality and reliability.
        - cash spotters fee if you get your friends to join.

        - 6 CD-ROMs online, inc. Yggdrasil Plug 'n' Play, et al.
        - Slackware (and other stuff) is mirrored from Sunsite.
        - Lots of Linux stuff ! 110mb now, soon going to ~200mb.
        - Second host (Godzilla) actually runs Linux.

--

Name : ILB Computing

Number : (042) 25-8099

Sysop : Kevin Withnall ([email-masked])

Notes : News/Mail and Periodic updates of /Linux dir from Sunsite.
        Batch ftp system available.
        Mail Kevin for more info.

--

(Wollongong)

Name : dwarf.apana.org.au

Number : (042) 97 3837

Sysop : Russell Noble

Notes : Public access site with full slackware distribution online (1.1.1)
        and some other various pieces of Linux software.  Also have slackware
        1.1.0 for loan on floppy.  (BBS caters for anything-but-DOS ie.
        has Mac, Linux and OS/2 archives).  Login as "guest" and apply for 
        an account.  Has the usual news/email.

--

Name: the Toaster

Number: 049 423565 (9 am till 1 am AEST)

Sysop: Matt McLeod ([email-masked])

Notes: Modest collection of Linux sources/binaries.  The system is
       more geared towards helping Linux newbies.

--

Name: Craggenmoore

Number: 049 611695 (3 lines, 2 14k4, 1 9k6)

Sysop: Michael Brown ([email-masked])

Notes: 

--

VICTORIA
--------

Name : Suburbia

Number : (03) 596-8366 (Multiline) (2400 bps, plus 2 14.4k's)

Sysops : [email-masked], [email-masked]

Notes : - Provides IRC, email, news, telnet, ftp, etc. via a full internet
          link.
	- Shell or Menu accounts available.
	- Has an `xfer' login if you just want to download stuff from their
	  anon. ftp area.

--

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
-----------------

Name:   The Abyss (Informed Technology - it.com.au)

Number: (09) 245-2511 (mostly v32, 8 lines)

Admin:  [email-masked] (Stephen Darragh) - general contact and owner
        [email-masked] (Pat Mackinlay) - Linux stuff

Notes:  This system provides interactive Unix accounts as well as SLIP or
        UUCP connections. There are three hosts networked, the main one
        running Esix, one with Linux and one with FreeBSD. Costs are
        $120/year for a full read/write Usenet/email/file transfer account
        or $45/year for read-only news. Oh yeah - there are no time limits
        or time charges as such. Give us a call for more details.

--

Name: iiNet technologies

Number: (09) 307 1183 (voice)

Admin: [email-masked]

Notes: Have a number of linux boxen on the net. Main one is
       classic.iinet.com.au. Have full mirror of slackware, and bits
       and piece of lots of other things. Main business is selling
       internet access in the perth area. Can offer full PPP access,
       and full IP accounts.
				
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 : People
----------

SOUTH AUSTRALIA :
-----------------

Name : SALUG (see user groups list)

Address : [email-masked] (Contact address for SALUG)

Distributions : Slackware, Debian

Notes : If people contact SALUG I sure someone will arrange a loan of
        a distribution.  We are spread around Adelaide geographically.
        
--

VICTORIA :
----------

Name : Hamish Coleman

Address : [email-masked]

Distributions : Yggdrasil Alpha CD-ROM, Mirror image of his Hard Disk (!)

Disk Format : CD-ROM, Hard Disk >= 30mb

Notes : Ask for more details on this bizarre offer...

--

Name : Andrew Cosgriff

Address : [email-masked]
          [email-masked]

Distributions : MCC, Slackware, many current sources.

Disk Format : 3.5" (can change to 5.25" if given disks), QIC Tape <= 150mb

Notes : 

--

Name : Bob Smart

Address : [email-masked]

Distributions : TAMU

Disk Format :

Notes : P.S. Why TAMU: because you can get the exact sources that produced
        it. I like the idea of being able to recreate all my software from
        source.

--

Name : Noel Tippett

Address : [email-masked]

Distributions : SLS, Slackware

Disk Format : 3.5"

Notes : I have a set of 3.5 SLS linux disks I am willing to lend in the
        werribee area, or near.  I am also able to bring the disks to
        Williamstown during bus hours for pick-up from there if need be.

Phone : Bus : (03) 244 4647 Between 1pm and 2pm *only*
        AH  : (03) 741 7296 Bewteen 6pm and 10pm weekdays and all day on weekends

--

NEW SOUTH WALES
---------------

Name : Tim Posney

Address : [email-masked]

Notes : I have an older release of Linux on floppy and a release on CD (the
        JANA disk). I am about to order another distribution on CD and
        would be happy to lend that out to.

        I am more than happy for people to make copies of anything on the
        CD, but I don't have a spare CD drive to lend to people.

--

ACT
---

Name : Karl Auer

Address : [email-masked]
Phone : (06) 249 4627

Distribution : Slackware

Disk Format : 3.5" (can make 5.25" boot disks on request)

Notes : The way it works is simple - you take my disks, you bring them back
        in 24 hours or less. What you do with them in that time is your
        business provided they stay clean and readable.

Expertise : Samba

--

Name : Peter Wishart

Address : [email-masked]
Phone :  (06) 275 0908
Fax : (06) 257 6325

Distribution : SLS 1.03

Disk Format : 3.5" 

Notes :  Also about to get a CD, haven't decided which one yet.
         Happy to lend to people in the Canberra area.
         Can also create copies of most distributions from FTP by arrangement.

-- 
         - Andrew J. Cosgriff -              http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~cos
[email-masked]  [email-masked]   [email-masked]
                "It's been lovely, but I have to scream now."
--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.