Subject: Linux META-FAQ
From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Aug 1994 08:24:06 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux.help,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: linux/meta-faq
Last-modified: 11 Jul 94
Version: 3.09
                                 Linux Meta-FAQ 

                           Version 3.09 July 11, 1994 

        This is the Meta-FAQ for Linux. It is mainly a list of valuable 
        sources of information. Check these sources out if you want to 
        learn more about Linux, or have problems and need help. Lars 
        Wirzenius ([email-masked]) wrote the first version of 
        this document, and it is now maintained by Michael K. Johnson 
        ([email-masked]). Mail me if you have any questions 
        about this document. 

        NOTE: Filenames in this article are for the tsx-11.mit.edu ftp 
        site unless otherwise noted. (see below for names of more ftp 
        sites). Files are usually located in similar places on other 
        sites. The names are relative to the directory /pub/linux/ on 
        tsx-11. 

        What is Linux? 
           Linux is an independent implementation of the POSIX operating 
           system specification, with SYSV and BSD extensions, that has 
           been written entirely from scratch. It has no proprietary 
           code in it. Linux is freely distributable under the GNU 
           Public License. It only works on IBM PC compatibles with an 
           ISA or EISA bus and a 386 or higher processor. See the FAQ 
           for more exact hardware requirements. The Linux kernel is 
           written by Linus Torvalds ([email-masked]) from 
           Finland, and by other volunteers. Most of the programs 
           running under Linux are generic Unix freeware, many of them 
           from the GNU project. 

        The Linux FAQ 
           A collection of common problems and their solutions. Answers 
           many questions faster than the net. Stored on many Linux ftp 
           sites (docs/) and rtfm.mit.edu, the general archive site for 
           all FAQs. 

        The Linux HOWTO's 
           These are somewhat like FAQ's, but instead of answering 
           common questions, they explain how to do common tasks, like 
           ordering a release of Linux, setting up print services under 
           Linux, setting up a basic UUCP feed, etc. See 
           sunsite.unc.edu, directory /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/ for all the 
           HOWTO's. 

        Linux newsgroups 
           There are several Usenet newsgroups for Linux. It is a good 
           idea to follow at least comp.os.linux.announce if you use 
           Linux. Comp.os.linux.announce is moderated by Matt Welsh and 
           Lars Wirzenius. To make submissions to the newsgroup, send 
           mail to [email-masked]. You may direct 
           questions about comp.os.linux.announce to Matt Welsh, 
           [email-masked] 

           The newsgroup comp.os.linux.admin is an unmoderated newsgroup 
           for discussion of administration of Linux systems. 

           The newsgroup comp.os.linux.development is an unmoderated 
           newsgroup specifically for discussion of Linux kernel 
           development. The only application development questions that 
           should be discussed here are those that are intimately 
           associated with the kernel. 

           The newsgroup comp.os.linux.help is an unmoderated newsgroup 
           for any Linux questions that don't belong anywhere else. 

           The newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc is the replacement for 
           comp.os.linux, and is meant for any discussion that doesn't 
           belong elsewhere. 

           In general, do not crosspost between the Linux newsgroups. 
           The only crossposting that is appropriate is an occasional 
           posting between one unmoderated group and 
           comp.os.linux.announce. The whole point of splitting 
           comp.os.linux into many groups is to reduce traffic in each. 
           Those that do not follow this rule will be flamed without 
           mercy... 

        Other newsgroups 

           Do not assume that all your questions are appropriate for a 
           Linux newsgroup just because you are running Linux. Is your 
           question really about shell programming under any unix or 
           unix clone? Then ask in comp.unix.shell. Is it about GNU 
           Emacs? Then try asking in gnu.emacs. Also, if you don't know 
           another group to ask in, but think there might be, politely 
           ask in your post if there is another group that would be more 
           appropriate for your question. At least the groups comp.unix. 
           {questions,shell,programming,bsd,admin}, and 
           comp.windows.x.i386unix should be useful for a Linux user. 

        The World-Wide Web 

           Matt Welsh, [email-masked], maintains the home WWW page 
           for the Linux project. The URL is 
           http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html 

        The Linux Journal 

           A new magazine called Linux Journal was recently launched. It 
           includes articles intended for almost all skill levels, and 
           is intended to be helpful to all Linux users. Subscriptions 
           are 19 dollars in the U.S., 24 dollars in Canada, and 29 
           dollars elsewhere around the world, all payable in U.S. 
           funds. Subscription inquiries can be sent via email to 
           [email-masked] or faxed to (U.S.) 1-206-527-2806 or mailed to 
           Linux Journal, PO Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867 USA. 
           Please do not send credit card numbers via email; the 
           internet is not secure, and it is entirely possible that a 
           technologically adept thief may steal your credit card number 
           and cost you a large sum of money if you do. 

        0.1 Getting Linux 

        0.1.1 Linux FTP sites 

        A more complete list of Linux FTP sites is in the Linux 
        INFO-SHEET (docs/INFO-SHEET). The most important sites are 
        listed here; please see the INFO-SHEET for a site nearer to you 
        (there are many mirrors). 

           textual name             numeric addr    Linux directory
           =======================  ==============  ===============
           tsx-11.mit.edu           18.172.1.2      /pub/linux
           sunsite.unc.edu          152.2.22.81     /pub/Linux
           nic.funet.fi             128.214.6.100   /pub/OS/Linux

        These sites are the main ``home'' sites for Linux where most 
        uploads take place. There are many mirror sites; please use the 
        closest (network-wise) site to you. 

        0.1.2 Linux on BBS's 

        Occasionally, someone posts a list of BBS's that have Linux 
        available for download. Try them if you can't FTP. This list is 
        available by ftp as docs/bbs.list at tsx-11. You may use ftpmail 
        (described elsewhere in this document) to get this list if you 
        have mail access, or ask a friend with internet access to get it 
        for you. 

        0.1.3 Linux on physical media 

        Linux is distributed on physical media, including floppies, 
        CD-ROM, and tape, by several commercial vendors. Please read the 
        distribution HOWTO, posted regularily to comp.os.linux.announce, 
        and available for ftp at sunsite.unc.edu as 
        /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/distribution-HOWTO. 

        Also check advertisements/* at tsx-11 for advertisements of 
        other ways to get linux, including a list of people that will 
        make copies for you at low prices. Also available there are 
        advertisements for other commercial services related to Linux. 

        0.1.4 Commercial networks 

        GEnie mirrors most of tsx-11 and sunsite. CompuServe has only 
        very limited very old Linux archives. 

        0.1.5 Mailservers and such 

        Sunsite offers ftp-mail service --- mail 
        [email-masked]. 

        0.2 Linux distributions (aka ``releases'') 

        Linux is distributed by its author only as a kernel. Other 
        people have put together ``distributions'' that can be used. 
        These distributions pair the kernel as released by the author 
        with software, to make a complete working package. Most releases 
        include application programs as well as system software, 
        providing ``one stop shopping'' for Linux. 

        H.J. Lu (the Linux GCC maintainer) also has a set of disks, 
        including a combined boot and rootdisk, and some additional 
        disks with more programs. This package assumes you are already 
        familiar with Linux. See directories packages/GCC/rootdisk and 
        packages/GCC/basedisk on tsx-11. 

        There are several distributions of Linux, which are available at 
        various sites. Sunsite mirrors almost all the distributions in 
        /pub/Linux/distributions. The recommended distributions are 
        Slackware, MCC, and soon, Debian. These are all available for 
        free over the internet, and some are also sold on floppies and 
        CD-ROM's. 

        0.3 Linux mailing-lists 

        Used mostly for discussion between developers of new features 
        and testers of pre-release versions. See addresses in the FAQ. 
        Many lists are based in the Mail-net system at Helsinki 
        University of Technology. Send mail to 
        [email-masked], and you will get mail 
        explaining how to get any of the many ``channels'' available. 
        Save this mail, as it tells you how to unsubscribe to the 
        channels, and if you post annoying messages to the rest of the 
        list complaining about not being able to get off the list 
        (because you didn't follow instructions and save the mail 
        telling you how to unsubscribe), you will likely be flamed for 
        wasting international bandwidth and money. 

        0.4 Documentation for various programs 

        Many programs come with some sort of documentation, often in a 
        file called README or something similar. It is a VERY good idea 
        to read them with care. It is boring to see (and answer) 
        questions that are answered in the documentation. 

        0.5 More Documentation 

        The Linux Documentation Project is working on a lot of 
        documentation. Already, over 600 pages of book-style 
        documentation has been released to the general public, and a 
        large set of man pages has also been released, with more to 
        follow. Check sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/LDP for documents 
        written by the LDP. 

        0.6 Keeping track of current releases 

        New releases, programs, and ports are usually announced in 
        comp.os.linux.announce. Finger [email-masked] to 
        get some information about the current kernel (often long!). 

        0.7 The Linux Hardware Compatibility List 

        Posted occasionally to comp.os.linux.announce, and found on the 
        major Linux FTP sites (tsx-11:docs/compat.list). This list lists 
        some of the devices and hardware that Linux currently supports. 
        It's useful for anyone wanting to purchase or upgrade their 
        system. Be aware that it cannot be complete, as there is more 
        hardware out there than Linux users can own. 

        0.8 Legalese 

        Trademarks are owned by their owners. Satisfaction not 
        guaranteed. No warranties about this document. Void where 
        prohibited.