Subject: Announcing Splitvt 1.5.5
From: [email-masked] (Sam Oscar Lantinga)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 1994 23:37:58 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Well, I was waiting to release a complete rewrite of the
splitvt terminal driver, but I seem to be a bit too busy to get to
that for a while.  Gee. :)

Announcing the newest version of splitvt!

What it is:

	Splitvt is a program that splits any vt100 compatible 
screen into two - an upper and lower window in which you can run
two programs at the same time.  Splitvt differs from screen in 
that while screen gives you multiple virtual screens, splitvt splits
your screen into two fully visible windows.  You can even use 
splitvt with screen to provide multiple split screens.  This can 
be very handy when running over a modem.

What can I use it for?

	Well, at this time, I am aware of several ways in which
people are using splitvt.  Some people like to use it over the modem
to allow them more than one window at a time, others like to use it
in xterms because they prefer having everything on the screen at once,
and some people are using it in conjunction with the -rcfile option 
to automate system administration tasks.
	If you are using splitvt in a new and unusual way,
I'd like to hear about it! 
Direct all comments to [email-masked]

Where can I get it?

	Splitvt is available for anonymous ftp from
dewdrop.water.ca.gov in the /pub/Linux directory.  You can also get
it from sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/Incoming for now, hopefully to
be moved to /pub/Linux/utils/terminal.  The file is splitvt-1.5.5.tgz
and it is in tarred and gzipped format.

What's new?

	Well, I had planned to do a complete rewrite of the vt100
driver to make it more modular, handle a couple of minor bugs, and
give it some of the features of the great program screen, but I 
probably won't get to it for a while.  In the meantime, I'd like to
release the enhancements and bug fixes right now.
	The new enhancements for splitvt 1.5.5 include a port to
NeXT, specification of a startup file on the command line, 8-bit
output, and enabling and disabling of logging in the programs 
under the windows.

What's planned?

	Gee, lots of stuff.  With 1.6, there will be a complete
rewrite of the vt100 driver allowing it to possibly support other
terminal types besides vt100 (in the distant future).  I want to
beef up the startup file syntax so that you can specify the format
of the "status bar", or window divider.  If you have any wishes, 
just let me know, and I'll try to include them in future releases
of splitvt.  I'll try to avoid feeping creaturism, but a few bells
and whistles would be nice. :)
	If I can figure out how to enable 8-bit input, I'll include
that as well.  :)

Bugs?  What bugs?
	Well, there are a couple of bugs.  See the man page for 
a list of the ones I can reproduce.  A few other bugs have been
reported, but I can't reproduce them (i.e. running in an odd 
system software setup).  If you run into these, let me know, and
I'll try to help out as much as possible.

Will it run on my system?

	Well, if you run a UNIX that has pseudo-tty support, 
chances are that splitvt will work on your system.  Splitvt has
been ported to all of the "standard" unices, and also to a few
oddball unices, such as AIX, NewsOS, and NeXT.
Is NewsOS really a UNIX OS? 

Well, that about wraps it up.  I hope you enjoy this software,
originally conceived by Dave Ljung and created by yours truly.

Enjoy!

	-Sam Lantinga		([email-masked])

splitvt-1.5.5.lsm ------------------------------------------------
Begin2
Title        = Splitvt - a split windows utility
Version      = 1.5.5
Desc1        = A utility to split a vt100 compatible screen into two halfs,
Desc2        = upper and lower, and run a different program simultaneously
Desc3        = in each half.
Desc4        =
Desc5        =
Author       = Sam Lantinga
AuthorEmail  = [email-masked]
Maintainer   = Sam Lantinga
MaintEmail   = [email-masked]
Site1        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path1        = /pub/Linux/utils/shell
File1        = splitvt-1.5.5.tgz
FileSize1    = 30K
Required1    = VT100 emulating window (e.g. xterm, Linux console, DECterm, etc
Required2    = UNIX (See README for list of ports)
Required3    =
Required4    =
CopyPolicy1  = Shareware - no fee.
CopyPolicy2  =
Keywords     = screen vt100 emulator
Comment1     = This is a pretty useful utility, especially when communicating
Comment2     = to a UNIX system via modem, or when you want to see the output
Comment3     = of two programs simultaneously.
Comment4     = New: -login option, -nologin option, -rcfile option,
Comment5     =      NeXT port, 8-bit character support (output)
Entered      = 12AUG94
EnteredBy    = Sam Lantinga
End

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.