Subject: Fly8, a portable flight simulator is released
From: [email-masked] (Eyal Lebedinsky)
Date: 10 Feb 1994 14:49:44 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Hello Everyone,

This is the second release, it is available (source + bin) on:

	csc.canberra.edu.au: /pub/ise/eyal/fly8

Here is the release note from there.

 7 February 1994

This is version 1.02 of Fly8, a flight simulator which I wrote. It can be
freely redistributed in the spirit of the GNU copyleft. It includes the
full sources.

The files are:
--------------

fly81023.zip	common: data files and docs
fly8102d.zip	binaries: msdos
fly8102w.zip	binaries: mswin3
fly8102l.zip	binaries: Linux/X11
fly8102s.tar.z	binaries: Sun Sparc/X11
fly81021.zip	sources: all platfroms (also available as .tar.z)
fly81022.zip	sources: special msdos support.
fly8102.txt 	This file
udp.doc		last minute doc on Fly8 unix/udp networking usage
fifo.doc	last minute doc on Fly8 unix/fifo and serial-line
		networking usage

There is support for windows but I find it too slow to care about. I did put
the binaries here too but you are better off using the msdos version.

the Linux version expects a joystick driver (if you want to use the joystick).

The msdos port needs at least a 286!.

What you need:
--------------

To play.........................................	common+binary.

To re-build on new platform or change the programs	sources
	For msdos you will need the special files too.

After unpacking the binaries the game should be playable. However, you should
review the contents of the fly.ini file and adjust it for your environment.
For example, it defaults to run at 640x350 (which is bad and slow) and you
will want to switch to something like 800x600 or 1024x768 (or better if you
got the memory) using the 'grfast' driver. You may also wish to change the
pointing device to joystick or mouse (depending on what is available on
your platform).

The msdos port includes a modified graphics driver which may not work on all
machines. I will try and help but, real problems can only be solved by
someone with access to your type of video system.

A new program, the 'univbe' driver has been out for a while and it provides
support for most video cards. However, it is shareware, so I cannot bundle it
with my free game. If enough people start using the univbe and will ask for
a driver that uses it then I am able to do so.

Regards
	Eyal Lebedinsky	([email-masked])
--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.