Subject: NEWS: Linux Who's Who / History Project
From: [email-masked] (C. S. Hendrix)
Date: 10 Feb 1994 15:06:16 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

NEWS Update:
------------

* We have a scanner available now for scanning photographs of people
  that cannot send us a computer image of themselves to us.  

* I'm starting to get good results printing dithered GIF images in
  TeX documents.  So, it's very possible I can put some graphics into
  the LaTeX version of the Who's Who.  But, it's the HTML version where
  that's most important and I will try to make it possible to print
  the LaTeX versions sans graphics since they can eat up time and ink.

* I continue to have problems with my UUCP feed.  It's mainly a simple
  problem but the sysadmin of my upstream UUCP connection doesn't
  currently have enough time to fix things up.  Please bear with me on
  this, it WILL be fixed soon.  For the time being I don't mind getting
  mail about the project at my university account (at the end of this).

What are these projects about?
------------------------------

This is an effort to end all the fuss about my not including FSF/GNU
efforts in this document.  I keep getting mail/flames that I am wrong to
not credit non-Linux centric people and groups in these documents.

     THIS IS A DOCUMENT SPECIFICALLY ABOUT LINUX, A UNIQUE ENTITY

I think what the FSF and GNU do are great.  There are some small parts
of the picture I don't agree with, but for the most part I think it's
one of the greatest things to happen in the computer industry.  But,
it's not the subject of these two documents.  Maybe there SHOULD be a
Who's Who and History written for FSF/GNU but I'm busy with this,
separate, document about Linux.

If I were to start covering people that wrote GCC, Emacs, etc like so
many have requested, this would no longer be the Linux Who's Who and
History Project.  It would be about GNU and the FSF.  I'm also not going
to cover the people who designed my motherboard, even though they are
more important to the functioning of my computer than either GNU or the
FSF.  Just because a certain THING is created with a certain set of
TOOLS does not mean the toolmaker should receive credit for what was
created.  Aces of the Pacific (great DOS game) was written with Borland
compilers but Borland does not deserve credit for writing Aces.

Therefore, these two documents will be very Linux specific/centric.  The
tools were important but they are separate entities.

I hope this is all clear now.

Anyway, this is a slower project than I though initially but work does
progress, ableit at a crawl.  School has started back again and I spend
a lot of time working on my physics class.  Work should speed up soon
because two or three other projects have come to an end and nothing 
new has popped up (besides the requisit digging into Linux...).

Oh, and thanks to everyone who has offered to help or has actually sent
me something.  I probably won't remember everyone or be able to reply
but it's nothing personal... I'm just poorly organized sometimes.
-- 
csh
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] (UUCP)         | Cy486/40 LinuxOS system
[email-masked] (Internet)          | Christopher Newport University

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.