Subject: RFD: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: [email-masked] (Danny Gould)
Date: 14 Feb 1994 18:37:11 -0500
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy

Request for Discussion (RFD) on comp.os.linux.advocacy

Proposed by: Daniel L. Gould <[email-masked]>

Summary: comp.os.linux.advocacy is to be an unmoderated group for the
discussion of the positive and negative sides of Linux and comparison 
of Linux with other operating systems.

Sent to newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups (followup to news.groups), comp.os.linux.misc, 
comp.os.linux.announce, comp.os.os2.advocacy, comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,
comp.sys.next.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.unix.advocacy

---

   Recently on comp.os.linux.misc, there have been many debates of Linux
versus DOS, Windows, NeXTstep, and other operating systems.  There have
been postings requesting that those discussions move to a
comp.os.linux.advocacy group.  The creation of this group would leave
Linux-only and technical questions in the existing comp.os.linux.misc
and comp.os.linux.development groups, and move all inter-operating
system (and platform) discussions to this proposed group.

   Linux is a free UNIX clone written by Linus Torvalds and many other
developers.  The source code to the OS is also distributed for
free.  The various FAQs on Linux are posted regularly to
comp.os.linux.misc, and are availabe by ftping to sunsite.unc.edu
in the pub/Linux heirarchy. It is distributed under the Free Software 
Foundation's licensing system (reffered to as the "copyleft").  Many UNIX
applications have been ported to Linux, it supports TCP/IP, and it can
run X-Free, a free X windows implementation for the 80x86 architectures.
(Linux will only run on 80386 and above systems, but there may be
plans in the future to port it to other systems.)

CHARTER:

   The proposed group will provide a forum for the discussion of Linux.
In addition, it will allow comp.os.linux.misc to deal with Linux-specific
issues.  Discussion will include (but not be limited to) the discussion
of the pros and cons of Linux and appliactions for Linux, and the
comparison of Linux with other operating systems and enviromnets such
as Microsoft DOS and Windows, SCO UNIX, Coherent, NeXTstep, Macintosh
System, etc.  It will be an unmoderated forum.

---
The process for the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy:

**1. RFD: During this period discussion about this proposed newsgroup will
take place.  All discussion should be crossposted to news.groups.  The
discussion period will take place for approximately one month.
Though I have tried to stay with the standard naming scheme, name
changes may also be proposed.

If there are no major disagreements during this time, and the name
and charter are agreed on, we will proceed to step two.

2. CFV (call for votes): We will ask the UVV (USENET Volunteer Votetakers)
to run the CFV according to standard USENET votetaking procedures (that
will be posted at the time of the CFV.)

3.  There will be a counting of votes and a public display of votes.

If all conditions are met,

4. The new group will be announced, and created if the site admin so
chooses.

Thank you very much.
-- 
Danny Gould   AGE   16   N3HCH     Supercomputer/Internet Addict
Montgomery Blair High School    UNIX sysop
finger [email-masked] for accts, curent project information, as
I keep adding to it...