Subject: FElt v2.0 -- finite element analysis
From: Jason Gobat <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Feb 1994 17:15:03 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

This is an announcement for the release of FElt version 2.0.

FElt is a free system for introductory level finite element analysis.  FElt
is intended largely as a teaching tool.  At this stage it should be able
to handle most static and dynamic linear analysis problems that you'd find
in a one or two term introductory class in finite element analysis.  The
FElt element library currently contains eight elements.

The system offers three different interface options - a standard command
line application and two X11 based environments.  Velvet, the primary
graphical environment allows you to specify your problem in a CAD-like way.
Changes in this release include linear dynamic analysis, animation in
velvet, and automatic node renumbering.

There is now a FElt mailing list.  To subscribe send the message
"subscribe felt-l" (without the quotes) as the only line in the body of
an email message to [email-masked].

Getting FElt ...
The latest version will always be available from cs.ucsd.edu in /pub/felt.  
If you get it from here you'll probably want to grab a couple of 
different files.  

felt-2.0.src.tar.Z 		- all source and most documentation for FElt.
				  Get this one if you want to build the
			 	  package yourself (it should be easy).
felt-2.0.hp-pa.tar.Z		- binaries _only_ for HP-UX 9.0 Series 700
				  machines.
felt-2.0.sparc.tar.Z		- binaries _only_ for Sparc machines.
felt-2.0.linux.tar.Z		- binaries _only_ for Linux.
felt20.zip			- DOS executables for felt and feltvu.
felt-2.0.ps.Z			- Postscript file for the "FElt User's
			  	  Guide and Reference Manual".  Because
				  of it's size, this is not in the other
				  tar files.  You'll need to get it
				  separately.
CHANGELOG			- a list of changes from 1.0a -> 1.3 -> 2.0
README				- the README file for v2.0
READMEv1.3			- the README file for v1.3
README.alpha			- the README for our initial alpha release.
				  Take a look at these three or the User's
				  Manual if you want a little more information
				  on FElt before you decide to try it.

For the Linux, HP-UX and Sparc binaries you will also need to grab
felt-2.0.src.tar.Z and felt-2.0.ps.Z.  The source and binary distributions
will untar into the same directory tree so it will look just like you had
made them yourself.  You'll still want to read the INSTALL file to make
sure things end up where the belong.  The only reason we don't just pack them
all together is to save space.  For the DOS distribution you'll probably
also still want felt-2.0.ps.Z.

Version 2.0 has also been uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/Incoming/felt-2.0.tar.gz.  This file contains all source
and binaries for Linux.  It also includes a copy of the Postscript
file for the User's Guide.  If you don't find it in Incoming it has
probably been moved to /pub/Linux/apps/math.

As usual, we would like to stress that feedback is always appreciated ...
we welcome all comments as to usability and functionality.  If you're using
the package please drop us a note (or subscribe to the mailing list)
and let us know what you think, even if you've got no complaints whatsoever.
Mail bug reports, comments, hints, suggestion, complaints, etc. to one of
us at the email addresses below.

Jason Gobat					Darren Atkinson
[email-masked]					[email-masked]

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.