Subject: Linux Who's Who and History Projects
From: [email-masked] (C. S. Hendrix)
Date: 21 Jan 1994 00:00:06 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Linux Who's Who and History Project 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK.  escape.twuug.com is back up on the net and ready once again.  My
upstream host had some problems upgrading to Slackware 1.1.1 and I have
been in net withdrawals for a week and a half.  This was not in any way
a problem with Slackware.  My host had some custom setups that didn't
work too well under the new standards.  It's starting to work fine now
and there should be no more problems. 

The bottom line is, I'm back up and running.  If you tried to send me
anything recently please send it again or if you were waiting to send
until my system was connected again, go ahead.

Now for a status report.

* I've finished my format for the document under LaTeX.  

* CNU is has ordered a color scanner.  Basically that means I can scan
  pictures for the Who's Who for those people that do not have access to
  a scanner.  However, we are a state college and you all know how long
  it can take the bureaucrats to move purchase orders.  I'll announce
  when I am ready so don't ask for an address until I post it.

The Linux History document is not very easy.  Only two people have
offered any help or to send me any information.  I need things like
change logs for parts of Linux and related software, dates you can
remember, etc.  The history is much harder than the Who's Who so please
send me any information that I can use to piece the history together.
It's definitely worth doing and once we have a history then we can work
on making sure we maintain it.  The more time passes, the harder it will
get.

Something else I need help on.  While the documents will not initially
have it, I would like someone to send me some LaTeX documents with
pictures in them.  My efforts to get a picture converted to Postscript
in LaTeX or TeX document have not worked.  Please send me an example if
you have one, all datafiles included.  I don't want anything huge of
course.  What I'm currently doing is taking a GIF, converting it into
a B&W dithered Postscript file, and trying to include it in a TeX/LaTeX
document.  I know it's possible, I've just not been able to figure it
out.

A group of people sent me information about themselves.  However, they
were not developers.  Eventually, the Who's Who will cover other people
but at least the first version will focus on people writing code for the
kernel, drivers, networking, and other Linux specific/centric work.
That will eventually change.  I'm currently thinking about making a
separate section in the document for other contributors to Linux but not
right away.  

Also, someone said I should include the people at GNU/FSF who wrote the
GCC compiler, Emacs, etc.  I disagree.  While I'm sure we all appreciate
the efforts of those people, they did not develop Linux.  This is a
document about Linux developers, not developers of GNU and FSF software.
That software is for *ALL* UNIX and similar systems, not just Linux.
Maybe there should be a Who's Who for GNU and FSF but this isn't it.  I
Hope everyone understands this.  If I start going out of scope, I'll be
putting in the people who build Linus' motherboard!  And no, this isn't
something that will appear in the future either.  It will never be a 
part of the Linux Who's Who.   

Anyway, keep sending me any information or ideas you have.  I'm going to 
assume the Who's Who questionaire never made it out alive and try again.
Thanks for your patience.  You'll be needing a lot more of it... :-)

-- 
csh
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] (UUCP)         | Cy486/40 LinuxOS system
[email-masked] (Internet)          | Christopher Newport University

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.