Subject: xvnews 2.2 released
From: [email-masked] (Hans de Graaff)
Date: 6 Jul 1994 21:16:09 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

xvnews 2.2 is now available from: 

	ftp.twi.tudelft.nl:/pub/news/xvnews-2.2.tar.gz
	ftp.uu.net:/networking/news/readers/xvnews/xvnews-2.2.tar.gz. 
	
There are no patch-files to upgrade from a previous distribution.

xvnews is a simple, intuitive Open-LOOK compliant newsreader for the X
window system. You will need a news server with NNTP and the XView
libraries to compile it.

What's new?

The last official release of xvnews was 2.0 patchlevel 2. Since its
release another version has become available, 2.1 patchlevel 4. This
version was never officially released, but made its way through FTP
sites anyway.

Here are the most important changes since 2.1PL4:

- Bug fixes, amongst which several memory problems which caused
  crashes.
- More configurable options, such as mailer to be used, inews program
  (if any), compress program.
- Ported to Solaris 2.x and Linux. Has targets for both platforms.
- No more limitations on number of newsgroups and number of articles
  in a group.
- Support for INN's 'mode reader' command, to allow reading from the
  host that feeds you.
- Much more (See the CHANGES file in the distribution)

Most important changes from 2.0PL2:

- Sort subjects in alphabetical order
- Allow a different editor to be used instead of textedit
- A number of smaller changes

What's next?

There are still enough items on the TODO list. We will be working on
those (and in fact, some new code is already being worked on). Look
for a 2.3 release some time later this year.

Hans
--
Hans de Graaff                              [email-masked]
Delft University of Technology        Department of Information Systems
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
<a href=http://www.twi.tudelft.nl/People/J.J.deGraaff.html>WWW link</a>

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.