Subject: Slackware Professional Linux 2.0 on CDROM
From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Jul 1994 16:43:35 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

LONG BEACH, NY, July 4th

Morse Telecommunication, Inc. and Patrick Volkerding, author of the popular
Slackware(tm) Linux distribution are pleased to announce the long awaited
Slackware Professional Linux 2.0, the authorized edition, ready-to-run 
on CDROM.

SUMMARY

Slackware Professional Linux 2.0 is the authorized CDROM-runnable version
of Slackware version 2.0, now available on most common Linux FTP sites.
This version continues the distribution's tradition of being the easiest
and most flexible version of Linux to install and maintain.

Slackware Professional Features and Enhancements:

	+ Linux kernel 1.1.18
	+ Xfree 2.1.1
	+ Beta version of X11r6 (XFree86 3.0) is included in binary form.
	+ Can be run almost entirely from CDROM
	+ Minimum installation is 8 meg on a native Linux partition
	+ For users wishing to run from an MSDOS parition, Slackware
	  Professional can be be run directly from CDROM while using as 
	  little as 11 megabytes of DOS file space.
	+ For unsupported CDROM drives, installation is supported
	  through either floppy disk or MSDOS partition. What this means
	  is that if your CDROM drive is unsupported, you can still 
	  run Slackware Professional.
	+ 90 days of on-call technical support

WHAT IT IS

Linux is a mostly POSIX compliant Unix(tm) clone for 386 and 486 PC's and
compatibles. Since its introduction on the Internet two years ago, Linux has
grown in popularity by leaps and bounds. Slackware has, for some time, been
the most popular version or distribution of The Linux Operating System.
With Slackware Professional Linux from Morse Telecommunication, users now
have, for the first time, a professionally produced and supported version of 
this operating system.

WHAT IT DOES

Slackware Professional Linux allows users to begin running Slackware almost
immediately, directly from their CDROM drive. A minimum installation,
which is CDROM dependent, can be accomplished in as little as 8 megabytes
of hard drive space. Additionally, you can now run Slackware from your 
MSDOS partition by using 11 Megabytes of space and mounting the CDROM. This
means you no longer have to partition your drive to begin using Slackware.

Tailoring Slackware Professional is both simple and flexible. Any package
which is runnable from the CDROM can be installed to the hard drive to
increase the speed of execution. By the same token, packages which are
deemed less necessary can be removed from the hard drive and run from the
CDROM. You're not limited to arbitrary assignments of binary location.

WHAT IT INCLUDES

Slackware Professional includes the following:

	+ The Slackware Professional CDROM
	+ The Slackware Professional Installation Supplement
	+ The Linux Installation & Getting Started Guide (200+ pages, bound)
	+ Demonstrations of commercial Linux Applications
	+ A coupon for a free copy of Linux Journal
	+ 90 Days of on-call technical support
	+ A collection of special offers
	
The entire package is boxed and shrink-wrapped with attractive artwork along
with a picture of Patrick Volkerding, the creator of Slackware, his signature
and endorsement of the product.

Morse Telecommunication, Inc. sponsored development of Slackware 2.0. 
Slackware Professional Linux from Morse Telecommunication, Inc. is the only
authorized and official distribution of Mr. Volkerding's work. 

HARDWARE COMPATABILITY

SYSTEMS:	386/486/Pentium PC Compatible with ISA, EISA or VESA Local Bus.
		(Microchannel Unsupported)

MEMORY:		4 Megabytes (8 or more recommended)

DISKS:		IDE,MFM,RLL,ESDI, SCSI (With one of the supported SCSI
		controllers listed below)

TAPES:		Floppy Tape (experimental), SCSI Tape (with supported 
		controller)

CDROM:		Sony CDU-31a, CDU-33a,531,535, Soundblaster CDROMS,Mitsumi,
		Pro Audio Spectrum CDROMS, all SCSI CDROMS( with supported
		SCSI controller)

SOUND:		Adlib, Soundblaster, MediaVision,Gravis Ultrasound, PC Speaker

VIDEO:		8514/A (and true clones), ATI Mach8, Mach32, Cirrus CLGD5420,
		CLGD5422, CLGD5424, CLGD5426, CLGD5428,S3,86C911,86C924,86C801,
		86C805, 86C805i, 86C928,Western Digital WD90C31,Tseng ET3000, 
		ET4000AX, ET4000/W32,Western Digital/Paradise PVGA1, 
		Western Digital WD90C00, WD90C10, WD90C11, WD90C24, WD90C30, 
		WD90C31,Genoa GVGA,Trident TVGA8800CS, TVGA8900B, TVGA8900C, 
		TVGA8900CL, TVGA9000,TVGA9000i, TVGA9100B, TVGA9200CX, TVGA9320,
		TVGA9400CX, TVGA9420,ATI 28800-4, 28800-5, 28800-a,NCR 77C22, 
		77C22E, 77C22E+,Cirrus Logic CLGD5420, CLGD5422, CLGD5424, 
		CLGD5426, CLGD5428,CLGD6205, CLGD6215, CLGD6225, CLGD6235,
		Compaq AVGA,OAK OTI067, OTI077

		Diamond Cards remain UNSUPPORTED, due to their proprietary
		nature.

SCSI ADAPTERS: 	Adaptec AHA152X, AHA1542,AHA1740 ,Future Domain 16xx,
		Generic NCR5380,PAS16, Seagate ST-02 and Future Domain TMC-8xx,
		Trantor T128/T128F/T228, UltraStor,7000FASST

		An additional bootimage is included which is based on 
		the kernel 1.1.18 and  supports Buslogic and Always IN2000
		controllers.

PROTOCOLS:	TCP/IP, SLIP, CSLIP, PPP, AX25

ETHERNET CARDS:	PLIP (parallel port),NE2000/NE1000,WD80*3,SMC Ultra,
		3Com 3c501,3c503,3c505,3c507,3c509/3c579,HP PCLAN,
		AT1500 and NE2100 (LANCE and PCnet-ISA), AT1700 support,
		Zenith Z-Note,EtherExpress,DEPCA,NI52EE,NI65EE,
		Ansel Communications EISA 3200,Cabletron E21xx,
		D-Link DE600 pocket adaptor,AT-LAN-TEC/RealTek pocket adaptor

FILESYSTEMS:	Minix, Linux Native, Xiafs, MSDOS, /proc, NFS, ISO9660, 
		OS/2 HPFS (Read-only),UMSDOS, System V and Coherent

ADDITIONAL:	Parallel Printer,Logitech Busmouse,PS/2 Mouse,
		C&T 82C710 mouse port ,Microsoft busmouse,ATIXL busmouse

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

Slackware 2.0 continues to be available via the normal FTP sites where
it has always been. The version of Slackware on these FTP sites is unrestricted
in any way. This means you can download it and use it just as you always have.
When you are ready to run the package from CDROM, with additional documentation
and support, you can order Slackware Professional Linux from any of 
Morse Telecommunication's authorized resellers.

Slackware 2.0 can be found on:

	tsx-11.mit.edu
	sunsite.unc.edu
	ftp.cdrom.com

SUPPORT SERVICES

Morse Telecommunication believes that if Linux is to become an accepted 
alternative version of Unix(tm), it must receive the same high level of 
support and service that the proprietary implimentations receive from their 
manufacturer. With this in mind, we continue our tradition of providing free 
technical support for up to 90 days from the date of your first call with us.

The first time you call for support you will be asked to register with us. 
After that, you have full, on-call access to our technical support staff
for 90 days.  Support will also be provided via electronic mail and fax,
as the user desires.

SUMMARY OF CONTENTS

Slackware Professional Linux 2.0 contains the following software in 
both source and binary form:

BSD-4.4-make BSD-mailx-5.5 BSDgames-1.3 ConfigXF86 FAQs GNU-Emacs-19.25
GNU-Smalltalk-1.1.1 GNU-as.1.38.1l2 GNU-as.2.2l GNU-bash-1.14 GNU-bc-1.02
GNU-binutils-1.9 GNU-bison-1.22 GNU-chess-4.00p69 GNU-cpio-2.3 
GNU-diffutils-2.6 GNU-fileutils-3.9 GNU-find-3.8 GNU-flex-2.4.6 GNU-gawk-2.15.5
GNU-gcc-gxx-objc-2.4.5 GNU-gcc-gxx-objc-2.5.8 
GNU-gdb-4.12 GNU-gnat(Ada)-1.79 GNU-gpc(Pascal)-2.5.7 GNU-grep-2.0 
GNU-groff-1.09 GNU-gzip-1.2.4 GNU-info-files GNU-ispell-4.0 GNU-ld.1.9l.3 
GNU-libg++-2.5.3 GNU-m4-1.1 GNU-mtools-2.0.7 GNU-patch-2.1 GNU-rcs-5.6
GNU-sed-2.05 GNU-shellutils-1.9.4 GNU-tar-1.11.2 GNU-texinfo-3.1 
GNU-textutil-1.9 GNU-time-1.6 GNU-tput-1.0 LDP-docs LaTeX2e Linux-1.0
Linux-1.0.9 Linux-1.1.10 Linux-1.1.18 Tcl-7.3
TclX-7.3a Tk-1.6 Tk-3.6 Umsdos-0.3a X11r5 XFree86-2.1.1 XFree86-3.0-beta
acct-1.1.18 andrew-toolkit-(ATK)-6.3 apsfilter-2.3 ash at-2.7 byacc clisp
cnews cron(dillon's)3.0pl1 deliver dialog-slackware-0.3 dungeon e2fsprogs-0.5a
elm-2.4pl23 elvis-1.8pl3 f2c+libf2c.so.0.9.2 file-3.9 ftape-0.9.10a
ftape-0.9.9d ftape-1.12 gentle-TeX-intro getty_ps-2.0.7e
ghostscript-2.6.1+SVGAlib ghostview-1.5 gnuplot-3.5 ifs-5.1 inn-1.4
international-ispell-3.009 interviews-3.1 itcl-1.3 jed-0.96 joe-1.0.8
jove-4.14.7 jpegsrc.v4 kbd-0.87 ld.so-1.4.3 less-177 lharc-1.02 libc-4.4.4
libc-4.5.26 libgr-1.3 lilo-0.14 linux-ppp-0.1.5 loadlin-1.4 lpr
lucid-emacs-19.10 lynx-2.2 lynx-2.2+term man-1.3 man-page-source manpages-1.2
mc-0.6 minicom-1.6 modutils-0.99.15 mt-st-0.1 ncftp-1.7.3 ncurses-1.8.1
ncurses-1.8.5 nn-6.4.18 p2c-1.19 perl-4.0pl36 perl-5.00a pine-3.89 pppd-0.1.4
procps-0.95 quota-1.32 sasteroids-1.3 sc-6.21 selection-1.5 seyon-2.14c
slackware-color-ls smail-3.1.28 spider splitvt-1.5.2 stix sudo-1.2 
svgalib-1.11 sysklogd-1.2 sysvinit-2.4 szrz tcpip(net032d) tcsh-6.04
term-1.14 tetris tin-1.2pl2 tncftp-1.7.3 tools-2.11 transfig-2.1.8 trn-3.4.1
unarj230 unzip-5.0p1 util-linux-1.6 uucp-1.04 uucp-1.05 vim-2.0 workbone-0.1
workman-1.2.2a x11r6 x3270-3.0.1.3 xboard-3.0p9 xbombs xcolormap xcuckoo
xfig-2.1.8 xfilemanager-0.5 xfm-1.2 xfractint-2.03 xfsprogs xgrab-2.3
xgrabsc-2.3 xhextris xlander xlock-23.21p2.3 xmahjongg xmenu xpaint-2.1
xpm-3.3 xpm3icons xroach xspread-2.1 xtetris xv-3.01 xvier xview-3.2 
xxgdb-1.08 zip-1.9 zoo-2.10 zsh-2.4

Slackware also contains the following extra source:

mbase50.tar.gz, mbase51.tar.gz, wu-ftpd-2.4.linux.tar.gz, wbuild-1.17.tar.gz
mmdf-IIb-4.3.tar.gz (a Sendmail/Smail replacement), the iBCS2 emulator, DOSemu,
gated-routed, GNU-finger-1.37, sendmail-5.67b+IDA1.5.tar.gz, and all the Free
X Widgets from the Free Widget Foundation.

Additionally, and for the first time, demonstration versions of the
following commercial software for Linux are included:

	Metacard
	Crisp Editor

PRICES AND ORDERING

The suggested retail price of Slackware Professional 2.0 from 
Morse Telecommunication, Inc. is $49.95. 

Where possible you should contact the authorized reseller near you to order.
These resellers are listed by region below. Prices, shipping charges and
return policy may vary by reseller.

Morse Telecommunication, Inc. expects to ship Slackware Professional to
these resellers, on or about the 17th of July.

UNITED STATES
	Eastern Region

		ACC Bookstore
		PO Box 3364
		Westport, CT 06880

		(800) 546-7274	Orders
		(203) 454-3242
		(203) 454-2582	Fax 

		------

		InfoMagic
		PO Box 708
		Rocky Hill, NJ 08553-0708

		(800) 800-6613		Orders
		(609) 683-5501		Orders
		(609) 683-5502		Fax
		[email-masked]	Email

	Central Region

		Linux System Labs
		49884 Miller Ct.
		Chesterfield MI 48047-2333

		800 642 5203	Orders
		810 716 1700 	Voice
		810 716 1703	Fax
		[email-masked]	Email

	Western Region

		Just Computers!
		PO Box 751414
		Petaluma, CA 94975-1414

		(707) 769-1648		Orders
		(707) 765-2447		Fax

		[email-masked]	Orders and Information
		800-800-1648	Toll Free US orders
                707-769-1648	Voice
                707-765-2447	Fax
                707-769-4248	24 Hour ordering
                E-Mail: 	[email-masked]
                MailServer:	[email-masked]
                (Include word "help" in message to automatically
                       receive ordering, catalog information)

CANADA

	ACC Bookstore
	Suite 1042 	(Phone and mail orders)
	7B Pleasant Blvd.
	Toronto, Ontario
	Canada M4T 1K2

	(416) 969-0612		Orders
	[email-masked]	Orders and information

EUROPE

	Lasermoon, Ltd.
	2a Beaconsfield Road
	Fareham
	Hants
	England PO16 0QB

	Voice: +44 (0) 329 826444
	Fax:   +44 (0) 329 825936

	[email-masked]		Technical Support
	[email-masked]		Orders
	[email-masked]		Sales inquiries
	[email-masked]		General Information
	[email-masked]		Linux Journal Desk

Customers in other regions may contact Morse Telecommunication, Inc. 
directly:

	Morse Telecommunication, Inc.
	26 East Park Avenue, Suite 240
	Long Beach, NY 11561

	(800) 60-MORSE	Orders
	(516) 889-8500	Inquiries
	(516) 889-8665	Fax

	[email-masked]		Support Services
	[email-masked]			Orders

30 DAY UNCONDITIONAL RETURN POLICY

If within 30 days of purchase you are unsatisfied with Slackware Professional
Linux for any reason, simply return to the reseller from which you purchased
it for a full refund. Returned copies should be undamaged and contain
all original packing materials and documentation. 

Individual reseller policies may vary. Check with your dealer.

RESELLERS

For dealers in the U.K., please contact Lasermoon, Ltd directly. All other
inquiries please contact Michael Johnston at Morse Telecommunication, Inc.
(516) 889-8500

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.