Subject: XFilemanager V1.0 - ALPHA
From: [email-masked] (Ove Kalkan)
Date: 8 Jul 1994 16:43:37 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

XDTP V1.0 - XDesktopProject
===========================

This is an ALHPA Release. Don't expect error free software.

This package includes:
======================
  Xfilemanager 1.0
  Xtt 1.0
  Xmore 1.0
  file2hex 1.0
  txt2tex 1.0
  xdtp-library 1.0

Under construction:
===================
  Xhelp		- Help tool
  Xbc		- Talk and mail tool
  Setup tools

Xfilemanager 1.0:
=================
Features:
 - drag and drop
 - configurable user interface (pull down menus, buttons)
 - user defines filetypes
 - many more features

Xtt 1.0:
========
xedit (from the x11 distribution) like editor, but handles buffers.

Xmore 1.0:
==========
Similar to xless but handles buffers and uses some utilities for
displaying files with linenumbers etc.

file2hex 1.0:
=============
Create a hexdump of a file.

txt2tex 1.0:
============
Converts various files (News articles, c or fortran sources, etc.) into
the LaTeX format.

libxdtp 1.0:
============
Has a few routines for managing dialogs, reading icons and a few new or
modified widgets.

Where to ftp:
=============
ftp://ramz.ing.tu-bs.de/pub/kalkan/xdtp1.0-linux-alpha.tar.gz
ftp://ramz.ing.tu-bs.de/pub/kalkan/SunDesk.tar.gz

THIS SERVER HOLDS ALLWAYS THE ACTUAL RELEASE. ALLTHOUGH SOME OTHER
SERVERS MAY DISTRIBUTE THIS PACKAGE TOO THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT UP TO
DATE.

Copyright:
==========
Copyight (c.) 1994 Ove Kalkan. All rights reserved.

Xdtp Version 1.0 is no pulic domain software or shareware.  Permission
too use, copy and distribute Xdtp for non-commercial purposes is hereby
granted without fee, provided that the in-programm copyright notice,
this manual and the copuright notice distributed with the source code
appear in all copies. Xdtp may be modified for your own purposes, but
modified versions may not be copied without prior consent of the
author.

Selling Xdtp, distributing it bundled within any product, using it for
non-privat purposes, distributing modified versions or using portions
of the sources in someother programs, etc. is considered to be a
commerical purpose.

Xdtp includes Xfilemanager V1.0, Xtt V1.0, Xmore V1.0 and the xdtp
library. No of the parts of Xdtp can be copied or distributes without
the whole package.

This software is provided "as-is" without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event the author be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.  Remember it's ALPHA software.
Allthough it seems to run quite stable there may be several
undiscovered bugs.

Contact address:
	 Ove Kalkan
	 Vor der Burg 2a
	 38162 Cremlingen
	 Germany
	 [email-masked]

Finally the INSTALLATION guide:
===============================
Allthough this guide is very short it probably helps you to install the
programs.  This is a binary release. All programs have been configured
to use /usr/local/lib/xdtp for icon and configuration filestore. There
should be no problem for experts to change a few locations by using
symbolic links.

Well before you start make sure that you libraries are compatible with
the ones I used.

	linux
	libc.so.4.5.19
	libm.so.4.5.19
	libX11,so.3.0.1
	libXt.so.3.0.1
	libXaw.so.3.0.1
	libXpm.so.3.2g

The xdtp/bin directory hold the allready compiled and stripped
executable. After you installed the icons and configuration files you
can try to execute one of these programs.  If you can't get them
working you can also try to recompile them with the object files. (I
don't know if this works, but it's your last chance)

To install the configuration files type BUILDBIN. This program creates
a few directories and copies a lot of files.  ATENTION: Cause this
release is an ALPHA only you have to install the SunDesk. This is done
by BUILDBIN automatically. You only have to ftp this package too. The
SunDesk icons are not included in the distribution itself, cause I'm
not sure about the copyright of some of these icons.

To recompile the software type 'make binary'

Machines supported:
===================
 The ALPHA release is a binary only release and is avaiable for:
  - Linux ( > 19.4 )
  - HpUx (in a few days)
  - AIX (in a few weeks)

Known bugs:
===========
Linux:  - The implemented automounter works only for root (uid=0)
	- Folder parameters are not saved. (e.g. if iconified, sorttype, etc.)
	- Suffixes like .copy or ~ should be ignored, but still are not.
	- An /etc/magic like filetype detection is still missing
	- The workspace is still a special file instead of a directory
	- Allthough the program is very small in some situations it wasts a little
	  bit of memory
Other systems:
	Will be added on release.

--
Ove Kalkan - Herrscher ueber diverse Rechner
Rechenanlage des Mechanikzentrums der Technischen Universitaet Braunschweig
Tel: (0531) 391 7074
Email: [email-masked]

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.