Subject: Minor update to ld.so/ldconfig/ldd package
From: David Engel <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 1994 16:44:22 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I have released a minor update to my ld.so package.  Here are the 
relevant parts of the README file and LSM entry:

For those that were not involved in the development of ld.so, its main
feature is that the user-level, shared library and dynamic linking
support has been moved to its own, special shared library.  This has
two significant advantages.  First, the startup code for all binaries,
which must be linked statically, is reduced by about 2.5k.  Second,
and probably more important, the shared library and dynamic linking
support can be upgraded for all binaries without having to relink by
simply installing a new ld.so.

In addition to ld.so, this package also includes two, related
utilities, ldconfig and ldd.  Ldconfig is used to automatically update
symbolic links to shared libraries and build the library cache used by
ld.so.  This should hopefully put an end to the common problem of
accidentally deleting a critical library link (eg. /lib/libc.so.4).
Ldd is used to list the shared libraries dependencies for a binary.

Changes in version 1.4.4:

	Changed ldconfig to support QMAGIC libraries.

	Fixed a bug in ld.so where some of the error messages had
	transposed arguments.

Begin2
Title        = Linux shared, dynamic linker and utilities.
Version      = 1.4.4
Desc1        = This package contains ld.so, ldconfig and ldd.  Ld.so
Desc2        = performs the user-level, shared library and dynamic
Desc3        = linking support for Linux.
Author       = David Engel and others.
AuthorEmail  = [email-masked]
Maintainer   = David Engel
MaintEmail   = [email-masked]
Site1        = tsx-11.mit.edu
Path1        = /pub/linux/packages/GCC
File1        = ld.so-1.4.4.tar.gz
FileSize1    = 72k
Site2        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path2        = /pub/Linux/GCC
File2        = ld.so-1.4.4.tar.gz
FileSize2    = 72k
Required1    = Linux-0.99pl12 or later, libc-4.4.1 or later.
CopyPolicy1  = Copyrighted but freely distributable.
Keywords     = Linker, library, DLL, ld.so, ldd, ldconfig
RelFiles1    = ld.so, ld.so.conf, ldconfig, ldd
Entered      = 07JUL94
EnteredBy    = David Engel
CheckedEmail = [email-masked]
End

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.