Subject: Linux Journal FAQ
From: "Michael K. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 1994 16:45:13 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

+--------------+    P.O. Box 85867 * Seattle, WA * 98145-1867 * USA
|    Linux     |  (206)524-8338 * fax: (206)526-0803 * [email-masked]
|   Journal    |   Subscriptions: (206) 527-3385 FAX: (206) 527-2806
+--------------+

                        LINUX JOURNAL FAQ
                             6/23/94

This  FAQ  contains information about Linux Journal, the magazine
covering the Linux Community. Topics covered are:
  o general/history
  o content
  o subscriptions
  o writing for LJ
  o advertising in LJ
  o Linux-related product releases
  o consultants directory
  o distributors/retailers
  o misc
  o if all else fails ...

General/History

We see our mission as serving the Linux community  while  working
to  promote  the  use of Linux. Although most of our initial sub-
scribers have come from the Internet we expect half of our future
readers  will  find  LJ as their initial source of information on
Linux. This means that LJ can provide a way for  people  to  find
hardware,  software  and help in getting themselves going. We see
this as a benefit to the Linux newsgroups  by  reducing  "newbie"
questions as well to our advertisers by providing them with a new
way to reach potential new users.

The idea for producing Linux Journal arose in early 1993. In late
February, 1994 we mailed our first issue. The magazine received a
very positive response - both on the Internet and elsewhere.  Is-
sue #4, the August issue, will be released in mid-July.

SSC,  publisher  of  Unix  and  C  pocket references for over ten
years, is now the publisher, with Phil Hughes having the  overall
responsibility  for  the complete publication. Phil's 11 years in
publishing and 15 years of experience with Unix will  be  applied
to  ensure  the  quality of the publication as well as its promo-
tion.

Michael K. Johnson is now the editor.  He  founded  the  original
"man  project",  which  was  the forerunner of the current "Linux
Documentation Project", and maintains a few  Linux  packages,  as
well as the "Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide".

Content

Each  issue  of Linux Journal offers articles that appeal to new-
comers as well as serious technical articles for  long-time  Unix
users. Although LJ is Linux-specific, many of the articles are of
interest to Unix users and other users of freely  redistributable
software.

Regular columns include:
  o Interviews with prominent Linux personalities
  o Linux Programming Tips by Michael Johnson
  o What's GNU? by Arnold Robbins
  o Cooking with Linux by Matt Welsh
  o The Debian Distribution by Ian Murdock
  o New Products
  o Letters to the Editor
  o Book and Product Reviews
  o Linux Counter
  o Linux Consultant's Directory

Features that have appeared in Linux Journal include:
  o Tips for Optimizing Memory Usage by Jeff Tranter
  o Sendmail+IDA by Vince Skahan
  o World Wide Web by Bernie Thompson
  o Comparison of Linux, Windows NT and OS/2 by Bernie Thompson
  o Onyx: a copylefted 4GL by Michael Kraehe
  o Icmake: a new make tool by Frank Brokken and Karel Kubat
  o Linux and Hams: what hams involved in Linux have to say
  o Hints & Tips for Optimizing Linux Disk Usage by Jeff Tranter
  o Linux Systems Administration by Mark Komarinski
  o Linux Journal Survey Results
  o Linux Around the World
  o The Linux File System Standard by Daniel Quinlan
  o Linux Distributions
  o Wine Status

Advertisers include:
  o Algorithms Corporation
  o Amtec Engineering, Inc.
  o Basmark
  o Fintronic
  o FYL
  o InfoMagic
  o Prime Time Freeware
  o PromoX Systems
  o Sequoia International, Inc.
  o Signum Support
  o Springer-Verlag
  o SSC
  o Trans-Ameritech
  o Usenix
  o Unix Expo
  o Windsor Technologies
  o Yggdrasil

Subscriptions

Subscriptions are available internationally through SSC directly.
They are also available in specific regions through our  interna-
tional distributors. Magazines are mailed internationally through
a "surface air lift" service which delivers the magazines quickly
to  the countries of destination where local mail will be handled
by surface delivery.

Subscription rates are as follows:
    $19/year U.S., $24/year Canada, $29/year Foreign
    $34/2 years U.S., $44/2 years Canada, $49/2 years Foreign
    Back issues are available for $4 ($6 airmail) while supplies last.

    Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 527-2806, Phone: +1 206 527-3385
    E-mail: [email-masked]
At this address we can accept payment by  checks  in  U.S.  funds
drawn  on a U.S. bank or a foreign bank in their native currency,
American Express, Visa and MasterCard.  Since the internet is not
a  secure  network,  you may not wish to send credit card numbers
via email.

Subscriptions start with the next issue of Linux  Journal.   Back
issues,  if  still available, are $4 each or $6 each for air mail
delivery.

Writing for Linux Journal

Articles in Linux Journal cover the range  from  "how  do  I  get
started"  to kernel hacking. We intend to try to strike a balance
so the magazine will be accessible to the newcomer and  yet  con-
tinue to contain useful information to long-term Linux users.

Also,  in  order to legitimize Linux to many business unix users,
we need to offer articles on commercial uses for Linux. They  can
be  in  the  form of documenting a place/job where Linux is being
used commercially, a technical article on the  development  of  a
commercial application, or a review of a commercial product.

If you are considering writing for LJ or have a lead to a commer-
cial use, contact our editor, Michael Johnson. He can be  reached
via e-mail at [email-masked], or as Editor, Linux Jour-
nal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867

Advertising in LJ

Linux Journal is supported by a combination of  subscription  and
advertising  revenue.  Rates  are  competitive  for the number of
readers we reach and our specific  target  audience  matches  the
needs of those who have products targeted to the Linux market.

We currently only offer display advertising. Future plans include
classified advertising and a card deck. If  you  are  interested,
request a media kit and rate card.

Our advertising manager is:
    Joanne Wagner, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803, Phone: +1 206 524-8338
    E-mail: [email-masked]

Linux-related Product Releases

If  you  have  a  new product that you feel is of interest to the
Linux community, send us a press release. We have a  regular  new
products column and will publish information on the most relevant
products.

We also have a review team and may  be  interested  in  reviewing
specific  products. If you would be willing to make a review copy
of a product available, please let us know.

Send new product information to:
    New Products, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803, Phone: +1 206 524-8338
    E-mail: [email-masked]

Consultant's Directory

We maintain a directory of consultants that work with Linux.  The
directory  is  published periodically in Linux Journal. The first
listing is currently free, and rates for subsequent listings  are
reasonable. To be listed, send your name, company, address, phone
and e-mail and/or fax contact information along with a brief  de-
scription of what you work on to:
    Consultant Directory, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803, Phone: +1 206 524-8338
    E-mail: [email-masked]

Distributors/Retailers

We are in the process of setting up newsstand distribution of LJ.
Computer Literacy Bookstores and Barnes & Noble carry  the  maga-
zine  and  we  expect to get distribution to many other stores in
the next few months.

If you are aware of a store that should carry LJ you can  suggest
they  contact SSC at (206) 527-3385 about reselling or send us e-
mail at [email-masked] with their contact information.

Misc

Q: Is LJ available Electronically?
A: Not yet. Once we have the paper copy under control we plan  to
work on this. It requires contract arrangements with both authors
and advertisers before we can do it.

Q: Can information printed in LJ be reprinted?
A: Authors may use the material with the only  restriction  being
that if they use it immediately they include the phrase "reprint-
ed with permission of Linux Journal". Other people wishing to use
material  should contact LJ.  Permission is generally granted ex-
cept where restricted by author or other prior copyright.

If All Else Fails ...

If your question isn't  answered  here,  send  e-mail  to  ljedi-
[email-masked].   We  will send a e-mail response and, if it
is a common question we will add it to this  FAQ.  If  you  don't
have  e-mail,  you  can  fax  questions to (206) 526-0803 or call
(206) 524-8338.

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.