Subject: SmartList - mailinglist package v3.03 has been released
From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: 12 Jul 1994 15:19:23 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

[ It is currently available from comp.sources.misc volume43. ]

The SmartList mailinglist management package. (v3.03 1994/06/30)

The SmartList mailinglist package has been built on top of the procmail
mail processing package.  In order to install it you'll need the source
of the procmail package as well.

If you now have just the SmartList sources, get the procmail sources and
unpack them on top of the SmartList source tree.
----------------------
A recent version of both packages can be picked up at various
comp.sources.misc archives.
The latest versions can be obtained directly from the ftp-archive at:

        ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de

as (g)zipped tar files:    /pub/packages/procmail/procmail.tar.gz
                           /pub/packages/procmail/SmartList.tar.gz
as compressed tar files:   /pub/packages/procmail/procmail.tar.Z
                           /pub/packages/procmail/SmartList.tar.Z
----------------------
Summary of what SmartList provides:
	+ The overseeable management of an arbitrary number of mailinglists
	+ Convenient and simple creation of new mailinglists
	+ Convenient and simple removal of existing mailinglists
	+ Fully automated subscription/unsubscription/help-request processing
	  (no operator intervention needed)
	+ Enough intelligence to overcome the ignorance of some subscribers
	  (will direct subscribe and unsubscribe requests away from the
	  regular list and automatically onto the -request address)
	+ No hardwired format for (un)subscribe requests (i.e. new subscribers
	  need not be educated, unsubscribing users do not need to remember
	  any particular syntax)
	+ *Intelligent* autoremoval of addresses from the list that cause
	  too many bounces
	+ Submissions can be limited to people on the accept list (which could
	  be the current list of subscribers)
	+ The fully automated subscription mechanism allows for a reject list
	  of unwanted subscribers and a general address screening mechanism
	  which allows you to control exactly who is allowed to subscribe
	+ Optional implicit subscription upon first submission to the list
	+ MIME-compliant auto-digest-generation (configurable per list)
	+ Joint management of several mailinglists possible
	+ Customisation per mailinglist or mailinglist group possible (simply
	  remove or create the desired hardlinks)
	+ A listmaintainer can be assigned per list;  miscellaneous requests
	  that couldn't be handled by the list automatically are then
	  forwarded to his mail address (instead of being accumulated in
	  a file)
	+ Allows for remote maintenance of any mailinglist by a
	  listmaintainer
	+ Integrated archiving service
	+ Integrated diagnostic aid to give hints to the maintainer about
	  possible problems
	+ Moderated mailinglists with an arbitrary number of moderators
	+ Automatically eliminates duplicate submissions
	+ You can set up a mailinglist to function as a standalone mail
	  archive server
	+ Extended MIME support (autorecognition of well known file formats)
	+ The archive server can send arbitrarily long (even binary) files
	  in MIME-multipart mails
----------------------
-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Time is nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen at once.

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.