Subject: Newest batch of HOWTOs uploaded to sunsite
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 20:17:59 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux.help

I have uploaded the most recent batch of Linux HOWTOs to sunsite.unc.edu.
They are available via anonymous FTP from the directory
	/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO

This includes a new version of the NET-2-HOWTO as well as updates to the
XFree86 HOWTO, Mail HOWTO, News HOWTO, and UUCP HOWTO. 

The directory /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats contains formatted
versions of many of the HOWTOs, in PostScript, .dvi, and HTML format.

As always, the Linux HOWTOs and other documentation are available via
WWW from the URL
	http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html

If you do not have FTP access you can request Linux documentation via
a mail server. Send mail to [email-masked] with the subject "Help".

I will continue to post the HOWTOs to c.o.l.* periodically, but many
people have requested notice of new uploads to the FTP archives.

--
  Linux HOWTO Index
  by Matt Welsh, [email-masked]
  v2.0, 17 March 1994

  This is an index to the Linux HOWTO documents.

  1.  What are Linux HOWTOs?

  Linux HOWTOs are short online documents which describe in detail a
  certain aspect of configuring or using the Linux system. For example,
  there is the Installation HOWTO, which gives instructions on
  installing Linux, and the Mail HOWTO, which describes how to set up
  and configure mail under Linux.  Other examples include the
  NET-2-HOWTO (previously the NET-2-FAQ) and the Printing HOWTO.

  Information in HOWTOs is generally more detailed and in-depth than
  what can be squeezed into the Linux FAQ. For this reason, the Linux
  FAQ is being rewritten. A large amount of the information contained
  therein will be relegated to various HOWTO documents.  The FAQ will be
  a shorter list of frequently asked questions about Linux, covering
  small specific topics. Most of the ``useful'' information in the FAQ
  will now be covered in the HOWTOs.

  HOWTOs are comprehensive docs---much like an FAQ but generally not in
  question-and-answer format. However, many HOWTOs contain an FAQ
  section at the end. For example, the NET-2-FAQ has been renamed to the
  NET-2-HOWTO, because it wasn't in question-and-answer format. However,
  you will see the NET-2-HOWTO named as the NET-2-FAQ in many places.
  The two docs are one and the same.

  2.  Where to get Linux HOWTOs

  HOWTOs can be retrieved via anonymous FTP from the following sites:

  o  sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO

  o  tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO

     as well as the many mirror sites, which are listed in the Linux
     META-FAQ (see below).

  The Index, printed below, lists the currently available HOWTOs.

  HOWTOs are also posted regularly to the newsgroups comp.os.linux and
  comp.os.linux.announce. In addition, a number of the HOWTOs will be
  crossposted to news.answers.  Therefore, you can find the Linux HOWTOs
  on the news.answers archive site rtfm.mit.edu.

  3.  HOWTO Index

  The following Linux HOWTOs are currently available. The list is small,
  because this is a relatively new project.

  o  Linux INFO-SHEET, by Michael K. Johnson ([email-masked]).
     A general technical introduction to Linux, listing its features,
     supported hardware, and other general information.

  o  Linux META-FAQ, by Michael K. Johnson ([email-masked]).
     A list of sources of information about Linux, such as
     documentation, newsgroups, FTP sites, and so on.

  o  Installation HOWTO, by Matt Welsh ([email-masked]).  How to
     obtain and install Linux. This is the first document which a Linux
     newcomer should read. It discusses how to obtain Linux, both from
     the Internet and via Snail-mail, and how to install it.  Focuses
     primarily on the SLS distribution of Linux, which is the current de
     facto standard.

  o  Linux Distribution HOWTO, by Matt Welsh ([email-masked]).  A
     list of many of the major Linux distributions available via
     anonymous FTP and via mail order on diskette, tape, or CD-ROM.
     Also includes other Linux-related goodies that you can only get via
     mail order.

  o  NET-2 HOWTO, by Terry Dawson ([email-masked]).
     Describes how to install and configure the Linux NET-2 TCP/IP code,
     in kernels 0.99.pl10 and above. (This has nothing to do with the
     so-called BSD NET-2 distribution.) Discusses various aspects of
     TCP/IP networking under Linux, including the use of SLIP. The
     complete instruction manual for TCP/IP under Linux.

  o  Ethernet HOWTO, by Paul Gortmaker ([email-masked]).  A
     HOWTO about the various Ethernet device drivers which are available
     for Linux. Should be read along with the NET-2 HOWTO by anyone
     using Ethernet for TCP/IP on Linux.

  o  Serial HOWTO, by Greg Hankins ([email-masked]).  Information
     on serial communications, devices, and software packages for Linux.

  o  Term HOWTO, by Bill Reynolds ([email-masked]).  Information
     on using the term communications package with Linux.

  o  XFree86 HOWTO, by Helmut Geyer ([email-masked]
     heidelberg.de).  This HOWTO describes how to install and configure
     the X-Windows software distribution for Linux. Most of this is
     Linux-specific, and expects you to read the documentation included
     in the XFree86-2.0 package.

  o  MGR HOWTO, by Vincent Broman ([email-masked]).  A HOWTO
     describing the MGR window system for Linux, another graphical
     interface somewhat like X.

  o  Mail HOWTO, by Vince Skahan ([email-masked]).  All about
     configuration of electronic mail with Linux, including UUCP and
     TCP/IP mailers such as Smail and sendmail.

  o  UUCP HOWTO, by Vince Skahan ([email-masked]).  How to
     configure UUCP to transfer files, mail, and news to other UNIX
     machines on a UUCP-based connection. Includes discussion of Taylor
     UUCP for Linux.

  o  News HOWTO, by Vince Skahan ([email-masked]).  Setup and
     configuration of news software, such as C News, INN, and
     newsreaders (such as rn and tin) under Linux.

  o  Printing HOWTO, by Grant Taylor ([email-masked]).  How to
     configure and use printing software under Linux, such as lp, lpr,
     etc. including remote printing.

  o  SCSI HOWTO, by Drew Eckhardt ([email-masked]).  All
     about SCSI tapes, drives, and CD-ROMs under Linux.

  o  Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, by Ed Carp ([email-masked]).  An
     extensive list of hardware supported by Linux.

  o  Ftape HOWTO, by Kai Harrekilde-Petersen ([email-masked]).  A
     HOWTO describing the setup and use of various QIC ftape drivers for
     Linux.

  o  Sound HOWTO, by Jeff Tranter ([email-masked]).
     Information on sound-related hardware and software for Linux, such
     as how to configure your system for use with a sound card.

  o  JE HOWTO, by Yasuhiro Yamazaki ([email-masked]).
     Information on JE, a set of Japanese Extensions for Linux,
     including software to edit, display, and print Japanese text.

  o  Busmouse HOWTO, by Mike Battersby ([email-masked]).
     Information on using busmice with Linux and XFree86.

  o  Tips HOWTO, by Vince Reed ([email-masked]).  Miscellaneous tips and
     tricks for Linux, which don't fit well into any of the other
     HOWTOs.

  o  Keystroke HOWTO, by Zenon Fortuna ([email-masked]).  Information
     on binding macros to keystrokes under Linux.

  4.  Wanted HOWTOs

  I would be very happy if someone would write the following HOWTO
  documents, and submit them to me (see the instructions in the next
  section below). Most of these are modifications of existing FAQ
  documents, and should be easy to put into HOWTO format. Keep in mind
  that HOWTOs generally aren't in FAQ format, but can contain an FAQ
  section at the end.

  Some of these are under construction; however, if you're interested in
  working on one of them, please let me know.

  o  GCC/LIBRARY HOWTO. Discussing installation/upgrading of the GCC and
     shared libraries under Linux. How to build shared libraries.  Most
     of the material would come from Mitchum DeSouza's GCC FAQ.

  o  KERNEL HOWTO. How to upgrade and compile the kernel. Basic kernel
     tweaking, including how to turn on debugging output. How to decrypt
     panic messages. Basic introduction to kernel structure and hacking.

  o  If you have an idea for another HOWTO, please mail me!

  5.  Writing and submitting a HOWTO

  If you would like to write a Linux HOWTO document, there are a few
  guidelines that you should follow.

  o  Format the document neatly. HOWTOs must be available in plain ASCII
     format, but you are free to use a formatting tool (texinfo,
     LameTeX, nroff) to format the document. Try to use meaningful
     structure and organization, and write clearly. Remember that many
     of the people reading HOWTOs do not speak English as their first
     language.

  o  You may wish to use the Linuxdoc-SGML package, available from
     ftp.cs.cornell.edu:/pub/mdw/, to format the HOWTO. This package
     allows you to produce LaTeX, plain ASCII, and HTML from a single
     source document, and was designed specifically with the HOWTOs in
     mind.  If you are writing a new HOWTO you should seriously consider
     this.

  o  Make sure that all of the information is correct. I can't stress
     this enough. When in doubt, speculate, but make it clear that
     you're only guessing.

  o  Make sure that you are covering the most recent version of the
     available software. Also, be sure to include full instructions on
     where software can be downloaded from (FTP site name, full
     pathname).

  o  Include an FAQ section at the end, if appropriate. Many HOWTO
     documents need an "FAQ" or "Common Problems" section to cover
     information which can't be covered in the regular text.

  o  Use other HOWTOs as a model.

  After you have written the HOWTO, mail it to me (Matt Welsh) at
  [email-masked]. If you have use Linuxdoc-SGML, simply mail me the
  SGML source; I take care of formatting the documents.  I'll also take
  care of archiving the HOWTO and posting it to the various newsgroups.

  It is important that you go through me when submitting a HOWTO, as I
  maintain the archives and need to keep track of what HOWTOs are being
  written and who is doing what.

  All you have to do is send me periodic updates (every month or so, as
  needed) and I will take care of posting the HOWTO regularly.

  6.  Miscellaneous and Legalese

  If you have questions, please feel free to mail [email-masked].
  The Linux FAQ rewrite is being coordinated by Ian Jackson,
  [email-masked], with help from others.

  Unless otherwise stated, Linux HOWTO documents are copyrighted by
  their respective authors. Linux HOWTO documents may be reproduced and
  distributed in whole or in part, in any medium physical or electronic,
  without permission of the author. Translations and derivative works
  are similarly permitted without express permission. Commercial
  redistribution is allowed and encouraged; however, the author would
  like to be notified of any such distributions.

  In short, we wish to promote dissemination of this information through
  as many channels as possible. However, we do wish to retain copyright
  on the HOWTO documents, and would like to be notified of any plans to
  redistribute the HOWTOs. If you have questions, please contact Matt
  Welsh, the Linux HOWTO coordinator, at [email-masked].