Subject: Announcing getty_ps 2.0.7d
From: [email-masked] (Kris Gleason)
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 16:40:53 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

getty_ps 2.0.7d for linux 1.0 and higher

It's finally here!  After months of promises and work, I am finally
releasing getty_ps 2.0.7d.  I am sorry for the delay, but I have
been very careful in development, so this code should be relatively
bug-free (fingers crossed).

I have uploaded a complete set of sources and sample configuration
files to sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu.  These should be placed
in sunsite:/pub/Linux/system/Serial and tsx-11:/pub/linux/sources/sbin.
There are also binaries compiled with gcc 2.5.8, and libc 4.5.21 in
the package.

The major feature of this release is a number of bug fixes.  If you
have been having problems with 2.0.7b/c, I strongly urge you to upgrade.
Also added to this release is the ability to log via syslog, and 
support for fidonet mailer programs.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with getty_ps, here are some of
its features:

	*  A versatile config file allows modems to be initialized
	   with a chat script similar to that used in uucp.

	*  Modems can be used as bi-directional lines.  Getty will
	   monitor a tty port and reset when another program frees
	   the line.

	*  Modems can be set up in "ringback" mode.  Ringback is a
	   special way of answering a modem call.  When in ringback
	   mode, getty will only answer the line when the phone rings
	   once or twice followed by a brief delay, and then rings again.  
	   This allows a single phone line to be used for data and
	   voice calls.

	*  Getty can be scheduled to be "on" and "off" during specified
	   time periods, allowing access to be restricted to certain
	   times (this option _finally_ works with timezones and
	   daylight savings time).

	*  Fidonet mailers are supported (the ifmail package is
	   required to take advantage of this feature).

The next release of getty_ps will hopefully be ready towards the end
of the summer.  It will be drastically different from this release,
in order to support a number of new features.  Among them are support
for fax modems, callback, caller-id, and more.  If you have any
creative input about what you would like to see getty do, drop me a
line, and I will get back to you.

As always, if you have any problems with this software, I am happy to
help.

Kris Gleason  <[email-masked]>

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.