Subject: Linux/68k Version 0.9 patchlevel 3
From: "hamish (h.i.) macdonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 14:55:43 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

This message announces the availability of version 0.9.3 of Linux/68k.

It can be ftped from directory /pub/linux/680x0 at tsx-11.mit.edu.

A precompiled kernel executable can be found in vmlinux-0.09pl3.gz in
the "kernel" subdirectory.

The corresponding "bootstrap" program for the Amiga is available in
file amiboot-1.9.gz in the "kernel" subdirectory.  This is a new
version which allows one to specify how much memory there is and where
it is.  Instructions for this procedure can be found at the bottom of
this message.

If available, the "bootstrap" program for the Atari will be found in
file "ataboot-0.2.gz" in the "kernel" subdirectory (the author of this
ANNOUNCE-* file cannot compile such a "bootstrap" program and thus is
waiting for one from someone else).

The source patch for the this version of the kernel can be found in
linux-0.9.pl3.diff.gz in the "src" subdirectory.

The changes in this release against 0.9:

 - Fixes to the Amiga serial port driver to fix 8 bit input and to
   reduce serial overruns somewhat.

 - Lots of bug fixes from various sources (Thanks folks!).

 - Inclusion of the Linux-1.0.9 networking software, with appropriate
   patches for bigendian/m680x0 support.  The only devices currently
   supported are loopback, slip and compressed-slip.  

 - Scatter-gather support added to the WD33C93 SCSI driver and the
   A3000 SCSI driver.  It is not yet written for the A2091 or GVP
   Series II drivers.  People with an A2091 or GVP Series II
   controller can change the drivers for those to support it and send
   me the patches.

The precompiled kernel executable includes an Atari configuration, so
if you are using an Amiga, you will probably want to reconfigure and
recompile the kernel to exclude the Atari sources.  Similarly, if you
are using an Atari, you will probably want to reconfigure and
recompile the kernel to exclude the Amiga sources.  Heck, you'll want
to reconfigure anyway, to remove the drivers you don't want, so that
you'll have a lean and mean kernel.

Further hints and installation instructions should be gleaned from the
older ANNOUNCE-* files found in /pub/linux/680x0 directory at
tsx-11.mit.edu.

Note also that binary distribution of various GNU and Linux source
packages are available from the "bin" subdirectory of the 680x0
archive on tsx-11.mit.edu.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
amiboot-1.9 instructions:

  To specify to the Linux kernel how much memory you have, you need to
  create a file containing the information, and then provide the:
           -m <filename>
  argument to bootstrap when booting.

  The format for the file is:

      chipramsize
      [0xfastchunkaddr fastchunksize]
      [0xfastchunkaddr fastchunksize]
      ...

  For example, if you don't want Linux to use your 2nd meg of chipram,
  you would create a file that looks contains only:

    1048576

  If you had 1M of chip ram, 2M of 16 bit FAST ram at address 0x200000
  and 16M of 32 bit FAST ram at address 0x80000000, and you didn't
  want Linux to use the slow 16 bit FAST ram, you'd create a file that
  looks like:

      1048576
      0x80000000 16777216

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.