Subject: Check Book Balancing program for Unix/X/Linux
From: [email-masked] (Curtis L. Olson)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 17:33:54 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I am pleased to announce the first alpha release of ``cbb'', a check
book balancing program written specifically for Unix.  It is
implemented in two parts.  The data base ``engine'' is written in Perl
and the graphical front end is written in Tcl/Tk.

I consider this software still in the ``alpha'' stage.  There is still
quite a bit of work left to be done, but since the package is advanced
far enough to be usable, I am releasing it to the net.  Hopefully
others will be able to find it as useful as I do.

I embarked on this project primarily because I was incredibly sick of
having to reboot my Linux machine just to run windows and Quicken.
(Now don't get me wrong, Quicken is a fine program and is sold for a
fine price, but I hated having to stoop down to ``window's'' level in
order to keep track of my money.)

Since I am in the process of developing this software, I welcome all
questions, comments, suggestions, complaints, assistance, etc., etc.

I am including the ``README'' for those who are interested in further
details.

=======================8<====README=====8<============================

The Check Book Balancer -- by Curtis Olson.

The latest version is always available at:

    ftp.me.umn.edu:/pub/cbb-[version].tar.gz

Note, this program requires specifically:  perl 4.036 and wishx.  (wishx 
is the tclX interpreter -- i.e. extended tcl/tk)  If you run
Linux/Slackware installing the perl (d-series), and tclX (tcl-series)
packages should satisfy this requirement.

So far I have been very encouraged by the results.  Here's a quick
run down of the current features:

    - Ability to import quicken export files.

    - Ability to enter transactions.  Automatically calculates the running
      balance.

    - Some input accelerators.  i.e. +/- in the date and check # fields work
      as in quicken.  Category completion:  type the first few characters of 
      the category, and the rest will be filled in from the category list.

    - Simple, but functional undo.

    - Ability to handle ``quicken style'' splits.

    - Balancing:  Ability to enter a statement starting/ending balance, select 
      uncleared transactions, verify start balance + transactions = end balance,
      then clear all selected transactions.

Planned features (future work)

    - Have a memorized transaction list ... to speed entry.

    - A more sophisticated multilevel undo?

    - Clean up a lot of things ... certain traditional interface things act 
      funny or aren't included yet.

    - Include many more error/sanity checks.

    - Interactive category editor ... right now you must use a text editor :)

    - Generate various reports.

    - Ability to ``handle'' recurring transactions.

    - Work on increasing performance.

Things that would be nice but are far in the future (probably)

    - Ability to manage budgets.

    - Ability to handle recurring transactions

    - ??? ... The possibilities are endless :)

INSTALLATION
============

Currently I haven't written an automatic install script.  Fortunately, 
manually installing is not too difficult. :)

1.  Uncompress/untar the distribution file.

2.  Copy ``cbb'' and ``engine.pl'' to some place in your path.  
    (i.e. /usr/local/bin)

3.  Make sure they are both executable.  (i.e. mode 755)

4.  Make sure the first line of the file ``cbb'' specifies the location
    of your wishx interpreter.
    Likewise, make sure the first line of the file ``engine.pl'' specifies
    the location of your perl interpreter.

5.  Copy ``default.cat'' to someplace where ``cbb'' can find it (not
    necessarily  in your path ... i.e. /usr/local/lib/cbb/default.cat)

6.  Find the line towards the beginning of the file ``cbb'' that reads 
    ``set def_cat_path .''  Replace the ``.'' with the ``directory''
    you used for the previous step.

``fantasy.cbb'' provides a *lame* example data file to help get you
going.  Make sure you are in the directory where you unpacked the
distribution and type ``cbb fantasy'' (without the .cbb extension) to
start cbb and load the sample data file.

Curt.
-- 
Curtis Olson             Phone: (612) 626-9800            [email-masked]
                                                                   .
Try Linux ...                                                  \__[0]__/
--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.