Subject: The BOGUS Linux Release, version 1.0.1
From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 15:31:03 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

The BOGUS Linux Release, version 1.0.1, is now available for ftp.  BOGUS is
an unsupported, ftp-able distribution targeted at competent Linux hackers
who want a stable development system.  If you do not have experience
developing, installing, and maintaining a Linux system, BOGUS is probably
not for you.

BOGUS is a "bootstrapping" release: all of the patches needed to compile
the complete system are provided, including explicit instructions on how we
did the compilation.  Indeed, the final build was totally automatic, and
required the user to invoke a single command.

BOGUS has many other features, but the inclusion of pristine source,
detailed patches, and a utility to support automatic patch application and
compilation is the most important feature of BOGUS.  For more information
and a complete list of features, license restrictions, and other details,
please see the Announce-BOGUS-1.0 file.

WHERE TO GET BOGUS

The following sites are official mirror sites for the BOGUS release:

    ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/bogus
    ftp.gwdg.de:/pub/linux/bogus
    ftp.cps.cmich.edu:/pub/linux/packages/bogus
    ftp.nvg.unit.no:/pub/linux/bogus [*]
    ftp.thepoint.com:/pub/linux/BOGUS
    ftp.ibp.fr:/pub/linux/distributions/bogus
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/distributions/bogus

[*] While all users are welcome, users outside Scandinavia will probably
not get very good throughput from ftp.nvg.unit.no.

WHAT'S NEW IN THE BOGUS 1.0.1 RELEASE:

NetKit-A-0.07       NetKit-B-0.06       Plotmtv-1.4.0       auctex-9.2g
bash-1.14.2         blt1.7l1-src        cipher-3.0          cron-3.0p1
deliver-2.0pl11     dig-2.0             elisp-manual-19-2.3 emacs-19.27
extra-manpages-bsd  fvwm-1.22t          httpd-1.3           itcl1.5l1-src
lgrind-1.4          linux-1.1.51        macutils            mail-8.1
man-pages-1.4       man_db-2.2          mkboot-1.0.1        pdcrypt
procps-0.96         sendmail.8.6.9.base snobol4-beta2       tcl7.3l1-src
tclX7.3bl1-src      tcsh-6.05           tk3.6p1l1-src       tvtwm-pl10
ucblogo             util-linux-1.10     vm-5.72beta         wavplay-021
wu-ftpd-2.4         xanim-2683          xless-1.7           xplaces
xrn6-17             xypic-2.11          yamm-2.5.2

WHAT'S STANDARD IN THE BOGUS 1.0 RELEASE:

Checker-0.4         ImageMagick-3.1     NetKit-A-0.04       NetKit-B-0.03
Seyon-2.14c         XFree86-2.1.1       Xtacy-1.12          agrep-2.04
arc-5.21            auctex-9.1f         autoconf-1.11       bash-1.14
bc-1.02             bin86-0.1           binutils-1.9l.4     bison-1.22
bogo-1.2            byacc-1.9           calc-2.02c          ckermit-189
cpio-2.3            cvs-1.3             dc-0.2              diffutils-2.6
dmacro-2.0          doschk-1.1          dungeon-2.7B        dviljk-1.1
dvipsk-5.55a        e2fsprogs-0.5a      ed-0.1              elvis-1.7
emacs-19.25         extra-fonts-1.0     extra-macros-1.0    file-3.14
fileutils-3.9       find-3.8            flex-2.4.6          freeze-2.5
games               gas-2.2             gawk-2.15.5         gcc-2.5.8
gdb-4.12            ghostscript-2.6.1   ghostview-1.5       gnuchess-4.0.pl70
gnuplot-3.5         grep-2.0            groff-1.09          gzip-1.2.4
indent-1.9.1        ispell-3.1.08       iv-3.1              kbd-0.87
ld.so-1.4.3         less-177            lgrind-1.4          libXpm-3.4b
libc-4.5.26         libg++-2.5.3        lilo-0.14           linux-1.1.19
m4-1.1              make-3.70           makeindex-2.12      man-2.0a2
man-pages-1.3       mkboot-1.0          mpage-2.13          mpeg_play-2.0
ncftp-1.7.5         ncompress-4.2.4     nenscript-1.13++    netpbm-1mar1994
patch-2.1           perl-4.036          pms-3.33            procps-0.95
ptx-0.3             rcs-5.6.0.1         recode-3.3          remind-3.0.13
rzsz-9305           sauter-2.1          screen-3.5.2        sed-2.05
sh-utils-1.10       shar-3.50           strace-3.0          tar-1.11.2
tcsh-6.04           term-1.17           texinfo-3.1         textutils-1.9
time-1.6            tncftp-1.7.5        tools-2.11          tput-1.0
transfig-2.1.8      umoria-5.5.1        units               unzip-5.0.p1
util-linux-1.9      uuencode-1.0        vtwm-5.3            wdiff-0.04
web2                web2c-6.1           words-linux-3.0     xboard-3.1.pl1
xcal-4.1            xcalendar-3.0       xcb-2.2             xcmap
xdu-2.1             xdvik-1.8           xearth-0.92         xfig-2.1.8
xfm-1.3             xgrabsc-2.3         xgraph-11           xinfo-1.01.01
xkeycaps-2.11       xless-1.4.1         xlife-3.0           xloadimage-4.1
xlock               xmahjongg           xmelt-xflip         xminesweep-2.1
xneko               xpaint-2.1.1        xpalette            xphoon
xpostit-3.3.1       xroach              xswarm-2.3          xtetris-2.5.2
xv-3.01             yabba-1.00          zip-2.0.1           zoo-2.1

Note that due to licensing restrictions or ITAR regulations, a few packages
are not supplied in source and/or binary form (e.g., xv).  However, after
you legally obtain the source and determine that you can legally use the
program, the included Notes files can be used to compile and install the
package.

OTHER NOTES

To join the BOGUS mailing list, send mail to "[email-masked]" with
"subscribe linux-bogus" in the body of the message (i.e., *NOT* in the
subject).  When you do this, make sure that you have a valid return address
-- many people who set up a mailer for the first time have a return address
which looks like joe@pizza instead of [email-masked].  If you
interact with the majordomo server successfully, you will receive mail.  If
you don't receive mail in about an hour, please don't continue to use the
majordomo server as test bed.

Please note that the BOGUS release is COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED: mail sent to
the mailing list may not be answered, bugs may not be fixed, and it may be
quite a while before there is another BOGUS release.

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.