Subject: Term 2.2 and Termify 0.3 released
From: "Bill C. Riemers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 17:01:11 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

ANNOUNCING Term 2.2 AND Termify 0.3

Note: Furture announcements for Term will be posted to comp.protocals.misc.
Announcements will only be sent to comp.os.linux.announce if part of the 
announcement is Linux specific.

WHAT IS TERM?

  "term" is a program written by Michael O'Reilly which simulates many
  SLIP like features through an ordinary user's account.  At this time
  Michael is quite busy and doesn't have time to work on "term" or to 
  answer your questions, so please direct questions to me: 

    [email-masked] (Bill C. Riemers)

  I'm currently running my mail handler on this account as well so if you
  don't want an automatic reply, use a subject starting with the word "private".

WHAT IS TERMIFY?

  "termify" is a program that replaces the libc.so.4 reference in a dynamically
  linked binary with a libt.so.4 reference so that the program will use term
  networking functions.  Right now, libt.so.4 is built using Linux jump tables.
  I encourage users of other OS's to suggest more a general solution.

WHERE IS TERM AND TERMIFY?

  Term will be available at:

    physics.purdue.edu:/pub/bcr/term/
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm/term/term/

  Termify at:

    physics.purdue.edu:/pub/bcr/term/extra
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm/term/extra

  Also, you can find any patches to this version people send me at:

    physics.purdue.edu:/pub/bcr/term/patches

  Feel free to mirror these directories on other sites.

WHAT OTHER VERSIONS OF TERM ARE AVAILABLE?

        term110.tar.gz          --> Can't really say
        term111.tar.gz          --> Can't really say
        term112.tar.gz          --> Can't really say
        term113.tar.gz          --> Can't really say
        term114.tar.gz          --> fairly stable BETA version
        term115.tar.gz          --> unstable BETA version
        term116.tar.gz          --> unstable BETA version
        term117.tar.gz          --> unstable BETA version
        term118.tar.gz          --> semi-stable BETA version
        term119.tar.gz          --> stable GAMMA version
        term-2.0.X.tar.gz       --> semi-stable BETA versions
        term-2.1.X.tar.gz       --> more stable BETA versions
        term-2.2.X.tar.gz       --> New BETA versions

ANNOUNCING TERM 2.2

This release is considered BETA.  BETA does not mean I think it is full of
dangerous bugs, but rather it means I can still count the number of people
who have tested it on my fingers and my toes.

IS TERM 2.2 COMPATIBLE WITH OLDER TERM VERSIONS?

  Yes, but the reverse is not necessarily true.  If you compile
  a program with 2.2 it might not work with 2.1.

WHAT ARE PATCH LEVELS?

  These are my way of making term more stable, by releasing fixes only.
  As people report bugs, and fixes are found I generate patches to the
  current BETA version to improve its stability.  When I've gone a
  reasonably long time without any more bug reports, or the only bug
  people have been reporting for a long time gets fixed I may bump
  it up to GAMMA.

WHERE CAN I FIND TERM BINARIES AND APPLICATION SOURCES?

  You can find lots of stuff for old style term support at:
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm/termstuff/
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm/term/term/extra/

  Since the new-style term support, normally does not require patches to
  the source code, I've just been putting binaries at:

    physics.purdue.edu:/pub/bcr/term/extra

  - If you are using shared mode, you may need to set "TERMSHARE" to your
  shared directory for these to work.

  NOTE: I haven't updated some of these binaries since term 1.17.0, so if there
  are problems let me know and I'll update to a newer version.

NOTE ABOUT ALPHA VERSIONS:

  Alpha versions are made, public, but if you mirror or copy these to other
  sites, please clearly label them as ALPHA versions.  Also, I don't promise
  that future term versions will support anything compiled with an ALPHA 
  version.  So you should only use ALPHA versions if you want to help test
  that features will work in the next BETA release.

WHAT'S NEW WITH "term 2.2"?

   - tupload and tdownload will now use checksums to verify the file transfer
     and to do smart auto-resuming of interupted transfers.

   - Various optimizations to reduce the number data transfers.  For example,
     clients remember the hostnames they have already looked up.

   - "termnet" support added for daemons, and inetd.term.

   - Lots of name changes, to support termify-0.3.

   - "test" renamed to "termtest" and features added to allow term sessions
     across the network with "rsh", or a telnet script.

   - Smart compression --> If you aren't using a compressing modem, just leave
     compression on for all clients and term will figure-out if the data is
     already compressed.

   - Clients compiled with 2.2 or using libt.so.4.5.26-2.2.X will now report
     term errors in a clean manner, by intercepting perror() and strerror()
     calls.  The environmental variable TERMDEBUG may be used to increase the
     amount of 'termnet' output.

   - Misc. bug fixes.

WHAT OS'S ARE CURRENTLY SUPPORTED?

	    IBM AIX
	    BSDi
	    C220 ConvexOS 11.0
            DG/UX
	    Dynix/PTX
	    HCX/UX 5.1
	    HP/UX
            Irix
            ISC (SVR3.2 clone)
            Linux 1.0, 1.1
	    MachTen
	    MIPS
            NetBSD
            NeXT 2.1, 3.0
	    OSF/1
            SCO Unix
	    SGI
            Solaris 2.x aka SunOS 5.x
	    Solaris 1.x aka SunOS 4.x
	    SVR4
            Titan/OS
	    Ultrix 4.x
            Unix Sys V
      Others are being added constantly, as people send me the needed patches.

What is expected for term 2.3 ?

   - Protocal improvements to speedup 7 bit mode and escape characters.
   - Support for a dropin replacement libc instead of libt.
   - Auto-reconnection after an unexpected disconnect.

Have fun,

                           Bill 

--
<A HREF="    http://physics.purdue.edu/~bcr/homepage.html                  ">
<EM><ADDRESS>  Bill C. Riemers,  [email-masked]   </ADDRESS></EM></A>
<A HREF="           http://www.physics.purdue.edu/                         ">
<EM>          Department of Physics,   Purdue University            </EM></A>

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.