Subject: ANNOUNCE: Xmmix v1.0 Motif Audio Mixer
From: [email-masked] (Ti Kan)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 18:15:03 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

----------------------
			X M M I X  version 1.0
			----------------------
			      by Ti Kan

I am pleased to announce the release of xmmix version 1.0.
Xmmix is a sound mixer utility for the X Window System using the
OSF/Motif interface.  It requires the "VoxWare" sound driver by
Hannu Savolainen ([email-masked]), also known as the Linux
sound driver.  See notes below about how to get VoxWare.

This version of xmmix has been tested by the author with VoxWare
version 2.4 and 2.90.  It is expected to work with earlier and
future versions.

The OS platforms supported by xmmix is the same as those supported
by VoxWare, which includes several UNIX variants for the Intel x86
PC:
	Linux
	SCO UNIX and Open Desktop
	UNIX SVR4.2 (Novell UnixWare and others)
	FreeBSD

It should be fairly easy to port VoxWare to other PC UNIX
platforms.

Likewise, the sound cards supported by xmmix are those that
VoxWare supports.  Currently, this includes:

	Adlib
	Sound Blaster series
	Pro Audio Spectrum series
	Gravis UltraSound
	Roland MPU-401
	Microsoft Sound System
	COVOX SoundMaster II
	and others

Please refer to the VoxWare documentation for further details.
Comments and questions about the VoxWare driver and utilities
should be directed to "[email-masked]".

Comments, suggestions, and bug reports about xmmix are very welcome!
Write to "[email-masked]".

If you have a CD-ROM drive, you are invited to try a full-featured
X11/Motif CD Audio Player utility that I wrote.  It's called "xmcd"
and supports many UNIX OS platforms and CD-ROM drives.  Xmmix and
xmcd makes an ideal pair in your multimedia system.  A non-X
command line CD player "cda" is also included in the xmcd package.
See notes below about the anonymous FTP location.

WHERE TO GET XMMIX
------------------
The source code release of xmmix v1.0 is available via
Internet anonymous FTP.  Location:

	(Instructions)
	ftp.x.org:/contrib/applications/xmmix/xmmix-1.0.README
	(gzip'd tar archive)
	ftp.x.org:/contrib/applications/xmmix/xmmix-1.0.tar.gz

The package require the "gunzip" (GNU unzip) utility to uncompress.
The source code to gzip/gunzip can be found on various FTP sites
(such as prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu).

WHERE TO GET VOXWARE
--------------------

VoxWare files can be obtained via anonymous FTP from the following
directory:

	sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/kernel/sound

WHERE TO GET XMCD
-----------------

Xmcd files can be obtained via anonymous FTP from the following
directory:

	ftp.x.org:/contrib/applications/xmcd

-- 
    ///  Ti Kan                vorsprung durch technik
   ///   AMB Research Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    [email-masked]
 //////  ...!{decwrl,synopsys,tandem,tsoft,ultra}!sgiblab!bazooka!ti
///      ...!uunet!bazooka!ti

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.