Subject: New Openwin/XView libraries for XFrere86-3.1
From: "Hendrik G. Seliger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 18:14:35 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Hello!

As the new XFree seems to have mesed up many people's shared libraries,
I have gone about remaking the openwin-stuff. As I do not know when (or
if) the official maintainer of the xview-libs is going to make such a
version himself, I will only keep these files on our local ftp-server.
Only if really requested to do so I will upload the stuff to sunsite.

The package includes:
	- static and shared libs for
	  -- libxview
	  -- libss (SlingShot)
	  -- libUIC and libUICSS
	- Basic binaries (olwm, commandtool, clock, olwmslave)

The libraries (and binaries) are linked to libX11.so.6.0, libXt.so.6.0,
libm.so.4.5.26, and libc.so.4.5.26.

I have to thank Leif Vanhorn ([email-masked]) for his
helpfull hints on where to find the right patches.

The libraries can be found on

	ftp.ikb.uni-essen.de:/pub/linux/X/xview-for-XFree3.1.tar.gz
and
	ftp.automat.uni-essen.de:/pub/linux/X/xview-for-XFree3.1.tar.gz

*Please*, do *not* ask me for patches. I have not made any and I do not
have the time to do so (just to test them I would have to spend half a
day compiling the libs). I will outline the basic way I took to build
the stuff:

- Get the xview3.2p1 sources for X11R5 (ftp.x.org:/R5contrib or mirrors)
and the R6-patches (ftp.x.org:/contrib/libraries or mirrors). It should
work with the patched sources as well, but I didn't do that so I don't
know so don't blame me ...

- Get the sources for SlingShot and UICV3 (somewhere on ftp.x.org, I
think in /R5contrib)

- Get the linux patches and jump-tables from sunsite
(sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/libs/X/xview3L5.1.tar.gz).

- Apply the patches. Those for UIC I had to apply manually.

- Edit all Makefiles, XView.cf, Imakefiles etc. to match your paths.

- Build *only* the *static* libraries in the original source trees.

- Unpack the *jump.tar files from xview3L5. Edit the Makefiles: the
/usr/X386 should now be a /usr/X11R6. Also, if you change the
destination from /usr/openwin/lib (like I did) to something else, add
'-f' to the options of mkimage.

- For the shared libs for UICSS you'll need more text space. You will
have to keep in the space reserved for libUIT, so the best is to move
the data-area for libUIC down by 0x10000, and the do the same for the
text-segment for libUICSS. See the dll-tools documentation for more
details.

- Build the shared libs.

- Build the contib-stuff from xview.

- Finally, go to bed.

There are certainly some steps missing, some files need some additional
patching. There's been some calls to setpgrp which have to be handled
like SYSV, at least one call to gethostame with a different argument
set, a -DNO_SINCOS needed somewhere, a irint to be invented, but with a
day or so time you should be able to figure out how to do it. Good luck!

	Have fun,
		Hank

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
         Hendrik G. Seliger                  Universitaet Essen
     [email-masked]                Schuetzenbahn 70
      Tel.: +49-201-183-2898                45117 Essen, Germany
----------------------------------------------------------------------
             "Handling interrupts is simple." (G. Pajari)
             "Interrupts are an unpleasant fact of life." (A. Tanenbaum)

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.