Subject: Re: atdisk2 patch for kernel-1.1.47 or newer.
From: [email-masked] (Delman Lee)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 18:20:39 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Timothy E. Neto wrote:
]	I've created a newer version of the atdisk2-1.0 patch.  I got
]	tired of the rejections to the 1.1.4x kernels.  I have this
]	patch to a clean 1.1.49 kernel and it works just fine.

Oops, guess I have been too quiet on the matter...

I am the maintainer of the atdisk2 patch. There have been patches to
1.1.x kernels, but I didn't widely publicize them.  Since 1.1.x
kernels are developmental kernels which aren't widely publicized, I
have only announced the patches to the KERNEL channel. Maybe I should
have announced them in c.o.l.development too. Sorry for the
frustration that this may have caused for people who doesn't follow
the KERNEL channel.

Anyway, the latest patch (that I manage to make) can be found in

    ftp://mipgsun.mipg.upenn.edu/pub/delman

]	Also, I put my vote in for having this patch or it's capability
]	added to the standard kernel package.

There are reasons for not including the current atdisk2-0.x patch in
the kernel. The major one is that atdisk2 versions 0.x are a bit of a
kludge.  It makes a copy of the primary controller code (hd.c) and
modifies a couple of constants (I/O ports and IRQ). This resulted in
code duplication.

I have recently modified the hd.c code to handle two controllers in a
unified way without code duplication. This resulted in a saving of
about 8kbytes of kernel code. I announced the code (which will become
atdisk2-1.0) to the KERNEL channel last week for ALPHA testing. The
ALPHA code can be found at the same location above. It is for the
adventurous ONLY!!

Hopefully, we will have something in the standard kernel soon....

Delman.
______________________________________________________________________

  Delman Lee                                 Tel.: +1-215-662-6780
  Medical Image Processing Group,            Fax.: +1-215-898-9145
  University of Pennsylvania,
  4/F Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive,                         
  Philadelphia, PA 19104-6021,
  U.S.A..                            Internet: [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.