Subject: Linux/MIPS FAQ [update]
From: Linux Hacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 18:18:04 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

This is the Linux/MIPS FAQ. If you can't find an answer to
your question here, please contact <[email-masked]>.
The current version of this FAQ is ftpable from
ftp.waldorf-gmbh.de (193.98.169.1) in /pub/linux/mips.

Last update: 94/09/12

Q) What is "Linux/MIPS" ?

A) Linux/MIPS is a Linux port for computers equipped with
   Mips R4x00 processors. For further information, see below.

Q) Who is "Waldorf Electronics" ?

A) Waldorf Electronics is a small company in Germany, mainly
   building synthesizers and other things for the music market.
   Yes, this has normally nothing to do with Linux or Un*x
   in general.
   However, we at the R&D Department use both Mips and Linux/i486
   boxes for development and believe in the future of Linux,
   even in the music world. That's why we created this project.

Q) On what hardware will Linux/MIPS run ?

A) The first target will be the Deskstation Tyne series.
   These systems support R4400PC and R4600 processors with speeds
   currently up to 133 MHz. The main boards are equipped with up
   to 2 Meg L2 Cache, 256 Meg main memory (PS/2 SIMMs) and have
   4 ISA plus 2 VLB slots.

   For further information about Tyne computers, in particular
   prices, please contact Deskstation Technology
   at 800-793-3375 (US only), ++1-913-599-1900 (international)
   or ++44-773-829-542 (Europe).

   Please note that all questions regarding Linux/MIPS
   should be directed to <[email-masked]>.

Q) Will Linux/MIPS run on Deskstation systems only?

A) Certainly not. We plan to support as many platforms as
   possible. If you have a Mips-based computer and want to
   run Linux on it, please let us know. In general, all
   ARC (Advanced Risc Computing) compliant platforms have
   good chances to be supported.

Q) Will Linux/MIPS run on my old DECstation ?

A) If someone is willing to spend some time into the necessary
   kernel and device driver changes -- yes. Feel free to contact
   us, we already know of several other people interested in Linux
   for DECs.

Q) Which I/O cards will be supported ?

A) This depends on your system. ARC systems, in particular
   the Tyne systems, support every standard ISA and VLB card,
   at least in theory. But since we don't have much experience
   yet, we cannot guarantee that just the cards *you* have will
   work too.

Q) What is the state of the project ?

A) Very early, we are still working on the kernel. Please
   do not expect a full-featured and complete Linux/MIPS
   package next week. This will take some time.

Q) Where can I get kernel patches ?

A) Since Mid-August the kernels distributed by Linus Torvalds
   include our latest changes. You can download them from
   most major Linux ftp sites.

Q) Any support/development tools available ?

A) Yes. We have a cross-compilation environment for Linux/i386
   which includes GCC, binutils and SPIM, a Mips R2000/R3000 simulator.
   Binaries and documentation are available from following ftp sites:

   ftp.uni-mainz.de:/pub/Linux/MIPS		(to be preferred)
   ftp.waldorf-gmbh.de:/pub/linux/mips

   There's also a large number of useful docs about Mips processors
   on sgigate.sgi.com:/pub/doc.

Q) Is there a mailing list ?

A) Yes. We created a linux-activists channel called "mips".
   To subscribe to this list, send a message to
   <[email-masked]> with the
   command "X-Mn-Admin: join mips" as the first and only
   line.

Q) Can I help ?

A) Yes, if you're familiar with C, the Linux kernel and
   Mips processors your help is appreciated! Please
   feel free to contact us at <[email-masked]>

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.