Subject: LINUXASTRO mailing list
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 14:44:26 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

WHAT IS THE LINUXASTRO MAILING LIST?               Tue Sep 13 20:35:17 EDT 1994

I have a mailing list of people who are interesting in porting software 
packages for reducing astronomical data (typically used by professional 
astronomers) to Linux.  These packages are typically large (100's of MB) 
in size, and demand a significant effort for porting, documenting the port, 
and updating.

There are also some people who are interested in porting smaller programs, 
such as utilities for amatuer astronomy, and then there are those who are 
working in image display programs for images in FITS format and other standard
astronomical data formats.

Basically, I am just keeping a list of who is doing what, and if you want to
tackle anything, you can look on that list and contact others who are also
interested, and maybe save yourself some time.   This list, the last "updates"
that were sent out, and other tidbits are kept on-line for anonymous-ftp on
site "astro.umd.edu" in directory "pub/linuxastro":

File:		Description:

README		This file
maillist	List of people on mailing list, alpha by last name
alias		Unix mail alias for send mail to everyone on the list
updates/	Directory containing all of the updates that were sent out.
misc/		Directory containing miscellaneous hints for specific packages

Sending mail to "linuxastro.umd.edu" will forward your message to all
people on the list.

Try the WWW page by Peter Teuben ([email-masked]):
"http://bima.astro.umd.edu:80/nemo/linuxastro/"

-----

Edward Colbert ([email-masked])

Address: Dept of Astronomy, Univ of Maryland          Tel: (301) 405-1554
         College Park, MD 20742-2421 USA              FAX: (301) 314-9067

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.