Subject: Changes to Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers
From: [email-masked] (Ian Jackson)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 12:35:04 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux.help,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-Name: linux/faq/diff
Last-Modified: 21 Sep 1994

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

This document gives an English description of what has changed in the
most recent version of the Linux FAQ.

Comments on and submissions for the FAQ are strongly encouraged and
welcomed - I don't have time to read every article in col.help, and
thus need your assistance to spot the FAQ-threads that I miss.

Changes August - September 1994.

Structural:
 Section 6 split into:
  Section 6.  Solutions to common miscellaneous problems
  Section 7.  How do I do this or find out that ... ?
  Section 8.  Miscellaneous information and questions answered
 New section:
  Section 11.  Questions applicable to very out-of-date software

Some changes to question contents may be missing from this change summary due
to the reorganisation.

Modified questions:
Q1.1.  What is Linux ?                  Played down 386-specificity.
Q1.3.  Does it run on my computer ?     NCR PCI SCSI in alpha kernels.
Q1.4.  What ... other processors ...    Split out from Q1.3 and updated.
Q2.3.  What newsgroups are there ...    Mentioned de.comp.os.linux by name.
Q2.5.  Where can I get ... by FTP ?     List of sites updated.
Q3.1.  Can Linux coexist with ... ?     Mentioned OS/2 HPFS read support.
Q3.2.  ... DOS partition or floppy ?    Mentioned the fd-patches.
Q3.5.  Can I access BSD FFS, ... ?      Mentioned SysV support in 1.1.x.
Q3.6.  Can I run Microsoft Windows ...  Removed old brickbat for SLS.
Q4.1.  How can I undelete files ?       Improved and more newbie-oriented.
Q4.2.  Is there a defragmenter ... ?    Yes, defrag-0.6.
Q4.11. My AHA1542C doesn't work ...     >1024-cyls option should be off.
Q5.7.  What does gcc -O6 do ?           -O3 is in GCC 2.6.0.
Q5.7.  ... errors [compiling] kernel.   ld: unrecognised option `-qmagic'
Q7.6.  How do I [compile] my kernel ?   Correct reference for FTP site.
Q9.11. ... unchecked filesystem         bootutils now part of util-linux.
Q9.16. ... not ... on cylinder boundary Newer fdisk is in util-linux.
Q13.1. Feedback is invited              Refer to Q's by title, not number.
Q13.4. Disclaimer and Copyright         Partial distribution restricted.

Minor changes:
Q1.5.  How much hard disk space ...             Slight wording change.
Q1.6.  Is Linux PD ?  Copyrighted ?             Slight wording change.
Q2.1.  Where can I get the HOWTOs ...           Slight wording change.
Q2.6.  I don't have FTP access.  ...            Typo fixed.
Q12.2. ... in a posting to comp.os.linux.help   Several minor changes.

Changes July - August 1994.

Structural and administrative:
* Made it much harder to post a copy of the FAQ if you're not me.
* ASCII text version doesn't look like a pair of news postings any more.
* Now also as HTML (this has meant some minor changes to other formats).

Modified questions/sections:
Document header / introduction          Also on 586 (Pentium).
Q1.1.  What is Linux ?                  Also on 586 (Pentium).
Q1.3.  Does it run on my computer ?     Also on 586 (Pentium).
Q1.4.  How much hard disk space ...     No longer mentions SLS.
Q2.1.  Where can I get the HOWTOs ...   List of HOWTOs updated.
Q2.2.  Where ... World Wide Web ...     FAQ now HTML, mdw's page name amended.
Q2.10. What is the Linux Journal ...    Corrected bogus contact info.
Q5.5.  Can I use code ... for a 486 ... Optimisation problems for 586.
Q5.9.  [errors compiling] the kernel.   Mentioned asm-i386 etc.
Q6.3.  How do I switch VC's ?  ...      Need to use _Left_ Alt key.
Q6.20. How ... recompile my kernel ?    Russel Nelson's change summaries.
Q6.24. How do I remap my keyboard ...   `Keyboard FAQ' => `Keystroke FAQ'
Q7.6.  ... Internal compiler error      Need stable kernel to know it's a bug.
Q7.12. EXT2-fs ... maximal count ...    e2fsprogs version `0.4a' => `0.5a'
Q8.4.  I can't get X Windows to work .. Grammar typo fixed.
Q9.1.  You still haven't answered ...   rtfm has mirrors, linux-support dead.
Q10.2. Formats ... FAQ is available     At last, HTML is here !
Q10.4. Disclaimer and Copyright         Sigh, I've had to tighten it again.

All question numbers should refer to the numbering in the new edition
in each case (eg, for the January to February changes the numbers
would refer to the February edition).

-- 
Ian Jackson, at home.         [email-masked] or [email-masked]
+44 1223 575512    Escoerea on IRC.   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iwj10/
2 Lexington Close, Cambridge, CB4 3LS, England.   Urgent: [email-masked]