Subject: Linux Projects Map (LPM)
From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:18:21 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Archive-name: linux/Projects-Map
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-Modified: 14 Sep 1994

                             Linux Projects Map

This is the Linux Projects Map (LPM). Here you'll find some information
concerning popular projects that are currently in the design or coding
stage. The map supersedes the former Linux Projects-FAQ; the name "Map"
seems much more appropriate to me.  

BEFORE YOU ASK FOR CERTAIN PROJECTS PLEASE CONSULT THIS DOCUMENT FIRST. 

Code for these projects is not publicly available yet or in early ALPHA
stage. However, the software is being worked on and will be eventually
available. Please DO NOT send hundreds and thousands of questions to the
developers but instead let them spend their time working on the project.
The Linux Projects Map will be updated regularly and will be available on
sunsite.unc.edu as /pub/Linux/docs/Projects-Map.gz. The latest and greatest
version is always being kept on ftp.ix.de:/pub/Linux/docs/Projects-Map.gz.
A HTML version will be eventually available on ftp.ix.de.

If you are about to develop a certain piece of software and if you think it
would be good to let people know, please send me an entry according to the
template shown below. The fields "AuthorEmail" and "ETA" are optional; if
you don't believe people won't drown you in email or don't think it's wise
to tell a potential release date, simply leave these fields empty. Please
don't forget to send me updates if the status of your project changes, or
I'll have to query you eventually. ;^) 

If you are not working on a specific project yourself but know someone else
is, please drop me a note. 

After the initial release of code to the public, I intend to leave the
respective entry in the list for some weeks or so, adding a comment where
the code can be found, then delete the entry to avoid redundancy (with the
Linux Software Map, LSM).  

The LPM is for non-commercial Linux software projects only. As a supplement
for commercial software, I just announced the Linux Commercial Software Map
(LCSM) in several newsgroups.  

Linux-specific hardware projects are not covered here -- it doesn't seem as
if there were too many of them.  

Sample entry follows (similar to the old LSM format, thank you Jeff). Some
sample entries (e.g.  "Assistance") don't cover every possible item - feel
free to enter what you like, but don't create new fields and PLEEZE DON'T
CHANGE FIELD NAMES. Field lengths are now arbitrary, but for better
readability avoid an overall length of more than 78 characters.  If you are
a group of developers, please name only one of you in the "Author*" fields
and write the rest in one of the "Remarks:" fields.

The format is subject to change -- it will reflect Lars' new LSM format
RSN. By now, please stick to the current format.

(BTW: I moved the Map maintenance from home to my office. Please do _not_
send any messages to my home address but use this one, OK?) 

Field:          Description
-----------     ------------------------------------------------------
Title:          The name of the package.  example: "Linux for DEC 21064"
Desc1:          5 lines of text describing the package's function or purpose
Desc2:          The more descriptive you are the more useful the entry 
Desc3:          will be.
Desc4:        
Desc5:        
Author:         Who is going to write the package.
AuthorEmail:    The author's email address (optional)
InfoSources1:   Some hints where to get additional information such as 
InfoSources2:   mailing lists or local newsgroups
InfoSources3: 
Assistance:     assistance needed? {required | appreciated | not required }
CurrentStat:    {still in the design phase | first code runs | approaching 
                 ALPHA status | in ALPHA | code is available on (FTP path)}
ETA:            Estimated time of arrival (optional & conservative ;) 
Remarks1:       Other info of value (up to the developer), 5 lines.
Remarks2:       Additional info that won't fit in one of the above fields.
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:     

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Dump and restore for ext2fs 
Desc1:          This is a port of the 4.4BSD dump and restore backup suite. 
Desc2:          dump can make full and incremental backups of file systems. 
Desc3:          restore can restore individual files or the entire file system. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Remy Card 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   ALPHA test releases are announced on the NORMAL channel 
InfoSources2:   of the Linux Activists mailing list 
InfoSources3:   BETA releases will be announced on c.o.l.a 
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    ALPHA status (ftp://ftp.ibp.fr/private/remy/dump/dump-0.1.tar.gz) 
ETA:            Second test version is available (contact the author) 
Remarks1:       The dump/restore port seems to work well. 
Remarks2:       There are some problems with multi-volumes backups (restore 
Remarks3:       does not succeed to resynchronise on a new volume and some 
Remarks4:       files are not restored). This bug is present in the first 
Remarks5:       ALPHA test releases. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Xu-lib & Widget Set 
Desc1:          A library & widget set to "emulate" the look&feel and 
Desc2:          the programming interface of OSF/Motif (R) 
Desc3:          The title is likely to change sometimes 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Udo Baumgart 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    first code runs 
ETA:            first beta: end 1994 
Remarks1:       I hope i can compile mosaic in autumn 1994 so there 
Remarks2:       will be a non Motif version of mosaic. 
Remarks3:       I would like to have public available source for Motif 
Remarks4:       to test the stuff. BUT: Please ask via e-mail before 
Remarks5:       posting anything >20 KB. My disk is full enough 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux-MCA 
Desc1:          Micro-Channel differ from the ISA machines in their 
Desc2:          interupt and device handling. Hence, enough changes 
Desc3:          need to be made to the original Linux to support 
Desc4:          MCA machines. The goal of this project is to create a 
Desc5:          stable release of Linux for the MCA. 
Author:         Arindam Banerji,Peter De Schrijver,Craig McNeil,Arnd Gronenberg 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Although, the Linux-MCA channel exists, we currently 
InfoSources2:   operate by simply exchanging e-mail. Send mail to any of 
InfoSources3:   us and we'll try and answer, to the bst of our availability. 
Assistance:     We're certainly looking around for more volunteers. 
CurrentStat:    Developer's release available from invaders.dcrl.nd.edu:/pub/misc/linux 
ETA:            Nothing official 
Remarks1:       Currently, the release supports ESDI drives and the token 
Remarks2:       ring support is almost done. Some problems with serial 
Remarks3:       communication still exist. A very important step towards 
Remarks4:       stability is addition of ABIOS support. We're looking for 
Remarks5:       additional volunteers for this. Full Slackware release coming soon. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          HUFS 
Desc1:          HUFS is compressed filesystem for Linux that's 
Desc2:          heavily based on the second extended fs. 
Desc3:          HUFS brings online compression and decompression 
Desc4:          but doesn't use a container file. 
Desc5:          Different compression methods can be used. 
Author:         Michael Beck 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     currently not required, but this will be changed in the future 
CurrentStat:    ALPHA / available only for selected testers 
ETA:            more public alpha tests next planned for next month 
Remarks1:       The implementation is done, but some bugs are still alive 
Remarks2:       and some major things needs to be changed for higher speed 
Remarks3:       and better compression performance. 
Remarks4:       It doesn't depend on any compression, the compression methods 
Remarks5:       can be loaded as modules or be included in the kernel. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          bochs 
Desc1:          Portable Intel x86 emulator. 
Desc2:          multi-platform emulation of the Intel 80486 & 
Desc3:          associated PC hardware suite. support for graphics via 
Desc4:          X11R5 & text mode via curses. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Kevin P. Lawton 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   to join mailing list: 
InfoSources2:   mail to [email-masked], with body of: 
InfoSources3:   subscribe bochs-developers FirstName LastName 
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    still in the design phase 
ETA:            few months to bare 8086 version 
Remarks1:       Creating modular interface for developers to add emulation 
Remarks2:       support for favorite hardware. Framework being coded 
Remarks3:       for 80486, though currently adding support only for 
Remarks4:       real-mode instruction set, protection model, etc. 
Remarks5:       Shareware licensed. check out 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Multi-threaded Linux kernel (Viper 1.0) 
Desc1:          This project involves converting the Linux kernel to support 
Desc2:          threads(or Light Weight Processes). We plan to make the 
Desc3:          implementation suitable to ease port of multi-threaded 
Desc4:          applications from other OSes and also at the same time be as 
Desc5:          clean in designing the kernel as possible. 
Author:         We are a team of 5 people working on this project. 
AuthorEmail:    
InfoSources1:   Watch out for announcements/details posted onto c.o.l groups. 
InfoSources2:   In case of great need, send mail to [email-masked]. 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    still in the design phase 
ETA:            Sometime in Dec '94 or Jan '95 
Remarks1:       We are not using clone system call to do this job. 
Remarks2:       More when things are more definite. 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux GPIB Package 
Desc1:          Driver for National Instruments AT-GPIB and 
Desc2:          AT-GPIB/TNT IEEE488.2 boards. 
Desc3:          Including C-Call Library and 
Desc4:          Tcl/Tk GPIB extension. 
Desc5:          
Author:         C. Schroeter 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Send email with the word "info" in the subject 
InfoSources2:   to [email-masked] 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    pre ALPHA 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       
Remarks2:       
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        14 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          x2600 
Desc1:          An atari 2600 emulator for xwindows. Graphics, but no 
Desc2:          sound. Could turn out VERY SLOW! 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Alex Hornby. 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   file /computing/systems/atari/umich/8bit/Vcs/2600doc.zip 
InfoSources2:   at src.doc.ic.ac.uk 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     assistance appreciated 
CurrentStat:    65xx emulator running, TIA a nightmare 
ETA:            2001 
Remarks1:       Due to the wierd memory mappings an all i/o being 
Remarks2:       memory mapped it runs very slow. If you have written 
Remarks3:       a 6502/6510 based emulator I'm interested in your ideas. 
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux/PowerPC 
Desc1:          A port of the Linux 1.0 kernel to the PowerPC platform. Our current 
Desc2:          hardware is an Apple PowerMac 7100/66, but we intend it to run 
Desc3:          on all PowerPC/PCI/SCSI platforms (essentially, the current 
Desc4:          PReP hardware plus some Power Macs.) 
Desc5:          
Author:         A team of five people; contact Charlton Wilbur or Jem Lewis. 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   None yet; mailing list/WWW site on the way. You can sometimes 
InfoSources2:   read interesting speculation on comp.sys.powerpc. 
InfoSources3:   PowerPC news mentions us every now and again. 
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    some development tools ported; kernel in 1st code runs 
ETA:            kernel, Sept 94; device drivers, good question. 
Remarks1:       The biggest FAQ we've run into: 
Remarks2:       This runs *instead* of System 7, not on top of it or 
Remarks3:       on top of SoftWindows. Although I don't think it's been 
Remarks4:       tried, Linux probably won't run on top of SoftWindows because 
Remarks5:       it only emulates a 286 at the moment. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          xdoom 
Desc1:          An X port of the DOS game DOOM. Supports keyboard 
Desc2:          and net play. Sound effects support included. Merged 
Desc3:          with latest DOOM versions. Supports pixel doubling, 
Desc4:          tripling, & quadrupling. Uses 16-bit sound to improve 
Desc5:          mixed sound quality. 
Author:         id Software (Linux port by Dave Taylor) 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] (Linux), [email-masked] (otherwise) 
InfoSources1:   For info on DOOM: alt.games.doom, alt.games.action, WWW 
InfoSources2:   (announced in c.o.l.*) 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     Not required 
CurrentStat:    (available on sunsite. This entry will be deleted soon.) 
ETA:            now. 
Remarks1:       Showing the Irix v5.2 port at SIGGRAPH. The Linux port 
Remarks2:       will be literally identical with the exception of speed. 
Remarks3:       xdoom will be free. Can use the registered DOS data to 
Remarks4:       play the registered version in Linux. Will require a 
Remarks5:       new sound driver version just released by Hannu. 
Entered:        13 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          dtalk - A multi-user talk program 
Desc1:          dtalk is an attempt at an efficient multi-user talk 
Desc2:          program, requiring one over-the-wire connection per 
Desc3:          user rather then N^2 connections. It is NOT talk 
Desc4:          compatible. dtalk uses an extensible protocol intended 
Desc5:          to provide backwards compatible expansion capabilities. 
Author:         Matthew Dillon 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    ALPHA / ftp.west.oic.com pub/linux/dillon_src/dtalk01.tgz 
ETA:            RELEASE in 6 months 
Remarks1:       I am undecided whether to hack in talk/talkd compatibility. 
Remarks2:       I am leaning against it since talk/talkd is such an incredible 
Remarks3:       hack (I feel the old talk protocols should be abandoned), but 
Remarks4:       realize that compatibility may be the key to acceptance as 
Remarks5:       well. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux driver for Qlogic FAST!SCSI boards 
Desc1:          VESA and ISA versions are anticipated. PCI is not 
Desc2:          currently planned because it differs significantly 
Desc3:          from the other designs. May work with boards based 
Desc4:          on the NCR53c406 chip, though. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Michael A. Griffith 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   anon-ftp from cs.ucr.edu:/pub/linux/qlogic/stable 
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     Testers actively sought. 
CurrentStat:    in BETA 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       Merged code with Tom Zerucha's ([email-masked]) 
Remarks2:       driver. Tom is now the primary author. 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        07 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Xtbackup 
Desc1:          a tcl/tk interface to Koen Holtman's tbackup 
Desc2:          floppy & tape backup software. 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Jon Madison writing the tcl/tk interface 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   just email me. 
InfoSources2:   http://indyunix.iupui.edu/~jmmadiso/tktbackup.html 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     assistance not required really. 
CurrentStat:    coding is going on as you read. it looks kinda pretty. :) 
ETA:            I'd give it until about the end of September before ALPHA but... 
Remarks1:       i put up a copy of what's here so far (hardly ANYTHING works!) 
Remarks2:       so that people could email me on what they'd like to see. 
Remarks3:       I decided to put it up since i got a full time job, and I 
Remarks4:       won't have as much time to work on it. so please, tell 
Remarks5:       me what you think! When school kicks in, i think i'll have 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Trantor T130B (NCR 53C400) SCSI drivers. 
Desc1:          This is an extension to Drew Eckhardt's generic NCR5380 SCSI driver 
Desc2:          It will be merged into a common NCR5380/53C400 driver. 
Desc3:          They will support PSEUDO DMA on the T130B. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Kevin Lentin 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    now available in BETA 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       Pseudo DMA reads and writes are now working. A clean patch 
Remarks2:       has been sent to Drew Eckhardt 
Remarks3:       to incorporate into the NCR5380 driver. 
Remarks4:       /pub/Linux/kernel/patches/scsi/53c400.tar.gz contains 
Remarks5:       patches against 1.1.41 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux on Mach 
Desc1:          Get Linux to run on Mach! I'm currently pursuing this goal 
Desc2:          by adding Linux capabilities to the Hurd. 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Louis-Dominique Dubeau 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   http://step.polymtl.ca/~ldd/ 
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     required 
CurrentStat:    the ext2fs server is ALPHA. 
ETA:            I whish I knew... 
Remarks1:       The ext2fs server is running. I'm polishing it a bit and 
Remarks2:       then I'll spend time on source and bin compatibility. 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       If you have time, equipment or money to donate... let me 
Remarks5:       know. 
Entered:        14 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          /proc/dev 
Desc1:          An automatically generated device file directory used for 
Desc2:          updating /dev from it. MAKEDEV will be obsolete, and there 
Desc3:          there will be no more confusions about how device are named. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Michael Haardt 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     Currently not required 
CurrentStat:    first code runs 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       
Remarks2:       
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux/AXP 
Desc1:          Port of the Linux 1.0 kernel to Digital's Alpha AXP 
Desc2:          family of microprocessors. 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Jim Paradis & others 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   None yet; I'm too busy coding 8-) I'll be putting out 
InfoSources2:   a progress report in the next few weeks, though. An article 
InfoSources3:   for Linux Journal is also in the works. 
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    approaching ALPHA status 
ETA:            September '94 
Remarks1:       Assistance: Not requred *yet*, but will be soon 8-) 
Remarks2:       Once I get it to a shell prompt, I'll package up the sources 
Remarks3:       and development tools into a hackers' kit that I'll distribute 
Remarks4:       to interested parties. 
Remarks5:       I'll also put out a WWW page with up to date status soon. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          XSequencer for Linux 
Desc1:          A notation based MIDI file recorder, player, and 
Desc2:          editor for linux (and any other machine that 
Desc3:          runs tclmidi-2.0) 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         J. Patrick Narkinsky 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   mailing list [email-masked] 
InfoSources2:   mail majordomo@uswest... message "subscribe tclmidi" 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     Some device drivers need to be written, and I can't write em. 
CurrentStat:    first code runs (kind of) 
ETA:            12/94 
Remarks1:       Uses tclmidi-2.0, and the included MPU401 driver. 
Remarks2:       Will require major mod's to tclmidi to run onthe 
Remarks3:       standard linux device driver, or devlopment of 
Remarks4:       device drivers like the included one for other cards. 
Remarks5:       Linux MIDI support needs to be improved. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Generic Linux System Admin Tool 
Desc1:          A package of tools, accessed through a user-freindly 
Desc2:          menu system for adminstrating, installing, and 
Desc3:          configuring Linux distributions. Done in cooperation 
Desc4:          with Linux International. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Pat Spinler, Ross Becker, others whom I forget right now :( 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   linux-config channel mailing list 
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     assistance appreciated 
CurrentStat:    in design 
ETA:            optimal: Sept 94, conservative: Dec 94. 
Remarks1:       Targeted to work with the major Linux distributions 
Remarks2:       and probably any distrib conforming to the FSSTND. 
Remarks3:       Might optionally be extended for different OS's such as 
Remarks4:       Net/Free BSD later. 
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Speech recognition for Linux 
Desc1:          First goal is a speaker-dependent, medium-vocabulary, 
Desc2:          isolated-word system that shouldn't be too language- 
Desc3:          dependent. Parts are a training system and a speech 
Desc4:          driven commander that sends characters to other programs. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Ralf W. Stephan 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   just email me 
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     assistance appreciated, esp. NN/AI or speech gurus 
CurrentStat:    early coding phase 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       I can throw in max. 25 hrs/week, so without assistance 
Remarks2:       this will be a long time project, though there are 
Remarks3:       already some useful packages available. 
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        05 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux for MIPS R4000 
Desc1:          Port of Linux to the MIPS R series CPUs. Initial support 
Desc2:          will be for R4x00, others will follow. 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Ralf Baechle 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Mailing list channel "MIPS" on niksula.hut.fi. 
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    first code runs 
ETA:            October '94 
Remarks1:       Ports to different MIPS based platforms appreciated, author 
Remarks2:       will support as far as possible. 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Simple Linux System Manager 
Desc1:          A SMIT like program, that let you manage your Linux system 
Desc2:          without knowing about all those little System Administrator 
Desc3:          tools that make a nightmare your life. 
Desc4:          Good for newbies. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Riccardo Facchetti writing the perl core and the dialog I/O 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Don't ask but on Usenet News, group comp.os.linux.admin, 
InfoSources2:   don't expect any answer (i have too few time to read news 
InfoSources3:   every day), Don't write by e-mail unless really important. 
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    first code runs 
ETA:            conservative: end of 1994, maybe. 
Remarks1:       The package is still in development, but the main core of 
Remarks2:       I/O is finished. I've started to add functionality 
Remarks3:       and i'm still open to new ideas (e-mail me if you think you 
Remarks4:       have a good one). 
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          gpm-Linux 
Desc1:          Gpm is general purpose mouse server for the linux text 
Desc2:          console. Applications can register as clients and get 
Desc3:          cooked mouse events. I'll provide sample clients as well. 
Desc4:          Gpm is based on "selection" and "selection" is the default 
Desc5:          behaviour when no clients are there. 
Author:         Alessandro Rubini 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     slightly appreciated (to test mouse types) 
CurrentStat:    
ETA:            beta available, 1.0: Sep-Oct 1994 
Remarks1:       Andrew Haylett can be regarded as co-author. 
Remarks2:       The current release is available by ftp from 
Remarks3:       iride.unipv.it:/pub/gpm 
Remarks4:       an emacs package to support the mouse 
Remarks5:       on the text coinsole is being written 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          aic7770 SCSI driver 
Desc1:          driver for all scsi controllers using the aic7770 chip, 
Desc2:          such as Adaptec's AHA-274x and AHA-284x models, 
Desc3:          as well as some motherboards. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         aic7770: Scott M. Ferris, aha274x: John Aycock 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked], [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Announcements will be made in comp.os.linux.announce 
InfoSources2:   (ed's note: a status report from c.o.l.a is available 
InfoSources3:   in ftp.ix.de:/pub/Linux/docs/AHA2742.status ) 
Assistance:     accepted, as are hardware donations (2840AT, 2742AT) 
CurrentStat:    aic7770: working on microcode, 274x: pre-alpha 
ETA:            
Remarks1:       John Aycock ([email-masked]) has a seperately 
Remarks2:       developed aha-274x driver in pre-alpha. It is available 
Remarks3:       via FTP at: ftp.cpsc.ucalgary.ca /pub/systems/linux/aha274x 
Remarks4:       His 274x driver may be merged into the generic aic7770. 
Remarks5:       Which way development will proceed has not yet been decided. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Linux Device Driver for the Digiboard COM/Xi card 
Desc1:          This is a driver for the COM/Xi intelligent serial card 
Desc2:          produced by Digiboard Inc. The card can provide 4 or 8 
Desc3:          ports (RS232 or RS422). The card uses an onboard 
Desc4:          i80188 processor, has 16K rx buffers, 8K tx buffers 
Desc5:          per port and its firmware is in an onboard EPROM. 
Author:         Simon Park 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Linux SERIAL mailing list 
InfoSources2:   Digiboard BBS for programming specs (+1 612 943 0812) 
InfoSources3:   Digiboard ftp site : ftp.digibd.com 
Assistance:     Any suggestions appreciated. 
CurrentStat:    Approaching ALPHA (not complete in all areas yet) 
ETA:            Sometime during autumn '94 I'll release the ALPHA version. 
Remarks1:       The COM/Xi board is an old 8bit multiport serial card. 
Remarks2:       AFAIK it has been superseded by the newer 16bit PC/Xe 
Remarks3:       card. This driver will not work with the PC/Xe since 
Remarks4:       that card requires a module to be downloaded into its 
Remarks5:       RAM. 
Entered:        07 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Specialix SI-Host device driver. 
Desc1:          Driver for the Specialix Intelligent modular RS-232 
Desc2:          serial I/O system. 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Simon P Allen 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Available when driver goes into Alpha test. 
InfoSources2:   Feel free to E-mail me at the above address with questions 
InfoSources3:   specific to this driver. No general questions please :-) 
Assistance:     Testers required soon. 
CurrentStat:    Definitely approaching ALPHA status. 
ETA:            Date for interim release will now be Sept/Oct 94. 
Remarks1:       Driver works. Can login on all ports. SLIP works after 
Remarks2:       a fashion. Hardware supports 32 RS-232 ports per system. 
Remarks3:       Driver will support 32 but only tested with 8 as yet. 
Remarks4:       Performance is very good - high I/O rates load system CPU 
Remarks5:       very little. Some interfaces to rest of kernel in flux. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Software for the Metec VDG-8 Framegrabber 
Desc1:          Software for controlling this Framegrabber from Unix, 
Desc2:          capturing a picture, displaying it and saving it to disk 
Desc3:          
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Steffen W. Schilke 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   
InfoSources2:   
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     assistance appreciated 
CurrentStat:    design phase && first code runs 
ETA:            up to pi month 
Remarks1:       Planning to do the software for X with possibility to 
Remarks2:       save the picture in at least on format (tiff, gif, pcx 
Remarks3:       or jpeg (for manipulation you should use xv or so)) 
Remarks4:       As the VDG-8 uses RS232 as interface this software 
Remarks5:       should run on the most Unix Systems (I hope ;-) 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Digiboard PC/Xe driver for Linux 
Desc1:          The PC/Xe can have 4, 8, or 16 high-speed RS-232 serial ports. 
Desc2:          Maximum config: 4 boards totaling 64 ports. The PC/Xe 
Desc3:          features an onboard microprocessor running Digi's FEP/OS to 
Desc4:          relieve host CPU of serial I/O tasks. 
Desc5:          
Author:         Troy De Jongh 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Author by email 
InfoSources2:   ftp.digibd.com 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     
CurrentStat:    Coding. 
ETA:            Fall of '94 
Remarks1:       After this driver is completed, other Linux drivers for our 
Remarks2:       intelligent products may follow. 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        07 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          ALT - Administrators little tool 
Desc1:          ALT is a Motif-based system administrators tool which 
Desc2:          can be used for dealing with Software-packages, Users, 
Desc3:          configuring Networks, etc. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Thomas Woerner 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Email & WWW-page at 
InfoSources2:   WWW: http://134.2.172.13:4711/alt.html/ 
InfoSources3:   Email: [email-masked] 
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    first code runs 
ETA:            maybe December 1994 until ALPHA (conservative ;-) 
Remarks1:       Co-author: Christian Huettermann 
Remarks2:       ([email-masked]) 
Remarks3:       
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Caching file system, benfs 
Desc1:          This will be a file system that will cache files from 
Desc2:          another directory structure (that is currently mounted) 
Desc3:          onto the local hard disk. Thus if you have a slow CD-ROM 
Desc4:          drive you would mount it normaly, then mount its directory 
Desc5:          structure using benfs and access the files via the cache. 
Author:         Ben Frank 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Mail me if your interested :) 
InfoSources2:   or if you want me to include something 
InfoSources3:   
Assistance:     not required 
CurrentStat:    still in the design phase 
ETA:            Alpha code in October/November 94 
Remarks1:       The file system will prob only be able to mount read only 
Remarks2:       directories, but this may change depending on how things 
Remarks3:       go ;) 
Remarks4:       
Remarks5:       
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Network Accounting Kernel Patch 
Desc1:          Aquisition of network traffic for the purpose of user accounting. 
Desc2:          Data is collected per program and logged thru syslogd mechanism. 
Desc3:          Logged data: user, bytes in, bytes out, host, starting and 
Desc4:          ending time of connection, type of transfer (UDP, TCP, RAW), 
Desc5:          name of program, pid 
Author:         Hubert Weikert 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   First version (1.1.8.0) posted on de.comp.sources.unix 
InfoSources2:   [email-masked] managed by Majordomo, 
InfoSources3:   send request (in body) to [email-masked] 
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    code is available, please request by mail 
ETA:            available 
Remarks1:       New versions are mainly driven by changes in kernel networking 
Remarks2:       code. The present version (1.1.31.0) based on kernel 1.1.31 
Remarks3:       runs stable at an internet site. The packacke doesn't include 
Remarks4:       any post-processing, you are at your own. Contributions 
Remarks5:       are higly appreciated. 
Entered:        26 Aug 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

Title:          Postgres Object Oriented Relational Database 
Desc1:          I am working on reviewing the code of Postgres, and 
Desc2:          implementing missing features, like crash recovery, 
Desc3:          aggregate queries, and such. 
Desc4:          
Desc5:          
Author:         Kai Petzke 
AuthorEmail:    [email-masked] 
InfoSources1:   Join mailing list by sending mail to: 
InfoSources2:   [email-masked] 
InfoSources3:   ftp to marie.physik.tu-berlin.de:/pub/linux/postgres 
Assistance:     appreciated 
CurrentStat:    usable for many purposes, unusable for others. 
ETA:            unknown 
Remarks1:       Postgres was written by a team around Prof. Michael 
Remarks2:       Stonebreaker at the University of California, Berkeley. 
Remarks3:       So most credits go there, not to me. However, that 
Remarks4:       project has been finished. 
Remarks5:       
Entered:        14 Sep 1994

------------------------------- snip -------------------------------

There are several projects I've heard of but for which I haven't received 
an entry yet. Here they are: 

Linus Torvalds ([email-masked])
	Alpha AXP port for Linux (-> 64 bit version)

Pete Kruckenberg ([email-masked]) is in contact with SDL to get a
driver for their V.35 board done. 

Laurent Chemla ([email-masked])
has a 2.5.8 version of the pentium optimized Intel gcc 2.4.0. He didn't
succeed to upload it to tsx-11 yet. It's on sunsite, though (as per Sep 14).

Peter De Schrijver ([email-masked])
has uploaded an ALPHA Linux Token Ring driver to
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/
The patch also contains a PS/2 ESDI driver.

--
Harald Milz ([email-masked])      WWW: http://www.ix.de/editors/hm.html
iX Multiuser Multitasking Magazine	phone +49 (511) 53 52-377
Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625 Hannover	fax   +49 (511) 53 52-378
Opinions stated herein are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.