Subject: Kubota Graphics releases Dore 6.0 to Public Domain
From: [email-masked] (Vijay Sarathy)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 22:19:16 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.graphics,comp.graphics.opengl

As many of you might have heard Kubota Graphics Corporation will, for all
practical purposes, cease engineering operations on February 1, 1995. For the
lack of much to do here at Kubota for the past 6 months, except for putting out
maintenance releases (ho-hum), we thought that it might be fun to put Dore' out
on to the public domain. So we have cleaned it up a little bit, ported and made
sure that it works on Linux, FreeBSD and NT. Today, we at Kubota Graphics are
proud to announce Public Domain Dore' (Dore 6.0). We certainly hope that it
will be the next big graphics API ;-) Enjoy!

Vijay Sarathy

--

 Vijay Sarathy
 Kubota Graphics Corporation

 e-mail: [email-masked]
 voice: (408) 987-3309

==============================================================================

Copyright Notice
================

/**************************************************************************
# Copyright (C) 1994 Kubota Graphics Corp.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this material for
# any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
# above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all
# copies, and that the name of Kubota Graphics not be used in
# advertising or publicity pertaining to this material.  Kubota
# Graphics Corporation MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY
# OR SUITABILITY OF THIS MATERIAL FOR ANY PURPOSE.  IT IS PROVIDED
# "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
# PURPOSE AND KUBOTA GRAPHICS CORPORATION DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES,
# EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
**************************************************************************/

Abstract of Package (submitted to sunsite)
===================

Title:             Dore' API (Dynamic Object Rendering Environment)
Version:           6.0
Description:       Dore' is a powerful 3D graphics subroutine library.
                   It provides a comprehensive set of tools for creating
                   graphics applications. It is also easy to use, portable,
                   and extendable. This version has interfaces/drivers to
                   X11, PEX, IrisGL, OpenGL, Postscript and more. It has
                   been ported onto most unix systems, including Linux and
                   FreeBSD. It has also been ported to Windows NT 3.5.
Author(s):         The key authors and contributors from a long list of
                   illustrious but evanescent computer companies are listed
                   below:

                     - Companies -
                    Dana Computer
                    Ardent Computer
                    Stardent Computer
                    Kubota Pacific Computer Inc.
                    Kubota Graphics Corporation

                     - Key Authors/Contributors -
                    Michael Kaplan
                    Mark Patrick
                    Bruce Borden
                    Kevin Weiler
                    Dan McLachlan
                    Helga Thorvaldsdottir
                    Carolyn Houle
                    Lori Whippler
                    Steve Hollasch
                    & many more

                     - Public Domain Effort -
                    Doug Ambrisko
                    Larry Church
                    Rita Ozanne
                    Vijay Sarathy

Maintained-by:
Maintained-at:     sunsite.unc.edu, ftp.cdrom.com
Platforms:         SunOS, OSF/1, Irix, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows NT
Copying-Policy:    Public Domain
Keywords:          Dore', 2D & 3D Graphics API, 3D Graphics subroutine library

--

 Vijay Sarathy                   "Used-car salesman to customer: `Not only 
 Kubota Graphics Corporation       does it have low mileage, but most of 
                                    that was while it was being towed.'"
 e-mail: [email-masked]    
 voice: (408) 987-3309                          - Bob Thaves -  

From: [email-masked] (Vijay Sarathy)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Kubota - Dore 6.0. release (followup/clarifications)
Date: 19 Jan 1995 18:41:30 GMT
Organization: Kubota Graphics Corporation; Santa Clara, CA, USA
Lines: 38
Distribution: world
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 144.52.28.51

Hi Dore' fans!
          I am really heartened by the response I got to the message I posted
yesterday announcing the release of Dore' 6.0 from Kubota. Some clarifications
that I thought I should make in response to the e-mail and phone calls:

 1) Kubota has released the copyright to the public. So you are free to make
    modifications but cannot claim authorship. You are free to make changes
    and modifications as long as the copyright message is included.

 2) Many people asked where exactly on susiste and cdrom were the files
    located. I apologize for not mentioning this earlier. Anyway, I just
    uploaded the files yesterday. The file is called:

     pdore-6.0.tar.Z (about 7.25 Mb)
                     (about 25 Mb uncompressed)

    On sunsite I uploaded it to /uploads &
    on ftp.cdrom.com I uploaded it to /incoming
   
    The tar file does not have the Dore' libraries built for any system.
    It has complete sources and excellent documentation (man pages, ps
    files, troff and tools)

Alright folks! Looks like there is a lot of interest in Dore' especially
in Europe. I'm glad Kubota allowed us to do this. Hope all of you find it
useful.

--

 Vijay Sarathy                   "Used-car salesman to customer: `Not only 
 Kubota Graphics Corporation       does it have low mileage, but most of 
                                    that was while it was being towed.'"
 e-mail: [email-masked]    
 voice: (408) 987-3309                          - Bob Thaves -