Subject: Re: [SWIPL] SGML/RDF Parser and Solaris

From: "Richard A. O'Keefe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:28:27 +1200 (NZST)

Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes <[email-masked]> wrote:
	I've been trying to build the SGML package on our Solaris server,
	but Ive encountered several problems:
	
I'd like to say that I've built the SWI SGML stuff on Solaris (2.6, 2.7,
and most recently 2.8) and every time it has worked "straight out of the
box".

I'm only going to comment on one of the problems, but I think it may
suggest a resolution of some of the others.

	* I had some problems linking dtd2pl and sgml programs, but that could 
	caused by out odd solaris setup. In the end I had to specify linking with 
	/usr/lib/libc.so (Solaris' standard C library) and create a small object 
	file with a dummy "__eprintf" (Which does not exist on Solaris)
	
This is a sure sign that you have used gcc to compile a source file
that uses assert() but then you have not linked it with the gcc libraries.
I have found that using 'cc' for everything in a program works fine,
using 'gcc' for everything in a program works fine, using 'lcc' for
everything in a program works fine, mixing 'cc' and 'lcc' works fine,
but mixing gcc-compiled code with cc-compiled code *often* leads to
trouble.  Sun's C system uses a function "__assert" in assert.h; gcc
uses "__eprintf".

	I will make an effort to update the configure.in file, Ive never really 
	touched a autoconf script, but if I succeed I'll send you a patch.
	
I advise against this.  I have certainly never found it necessary or
advisable.  Just clean everything out, and redo the installation from
scratch being careful to follow the instructions *exactly*.

By the way, I _never_ install things in /usr/local, because I'm not allowed
to.  I had to use --prefix to install it all, but it did work.