Subject: RE: Modifying consulted rules

From: "Douglas Miles (Volt Computer)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:06:31 -0700

"no permission to modify static procedures"
is ussuly due to a syntactical misplacement of a comma or semicollon in code
one missing period or one comma can make the prolog engine think you are
trying to add your own  version of  ','(_,_).
 
even when you have predicates that match those in the libray modules ..
prolog will ussualy not comp[lain
since there is alot of scopeing available.
 
also if you want ot keep track of your objects in Java you can ..but in
prolog its very easy to as well .. you can modify any clauses in the proloog
database that you ever assert into it..and even delete them, and also
predicates declared :-dynamic/1 inline to your source will keep those as if
you had asserted them in later.. also if you are bringing in clauses from
multiple sources you can alows declaire as :-multifile/1
 
see this page as well
http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/Manual/sec-3.13.html
<http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/Manual/sec-3.13.html> 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Che-han Yip [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 3:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Modifying consulted rules

I'd like to thank the people who replied to my last question about reseting
the database.  I ended up having the Java class keep track of what was being
asserted so that it could retract everything when a reset() method is
called.
 
In any case, on to the next problem...  after consulting a file, is it
possible to retract or otherwise modify the rules that were consulted?  I
keep getting an error that says I have no permission to modify static
procedures.  
 
----
"Making the complex clear always helps people work smarter. Because it is a
lot easier to figure out what's important and ignore what isn't."
(Bill Jensen)
www.ee.ualberta.ca/~yip <http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~yip>