Subject: SPIM...

From: Patrick Mackinlay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 10:30:48 +0800 (WST)

I just thought I'd let everyone know about a software tool that could
come in extremely handy during initial development. The program is
called spim (or xspim) and is a MIPS R3k CPU simulator. The program
compiles under Linux with a bit of fiddling, and seems to perform
pretty well.

There are a couple of different versions of the program in the source
distribution:

	spim: assembly-level simulator (text mode)
	xspim: assembly-level simulator (runs under X)
	cl-spim: cycle-level simulator (text mode)
	cl-xspim: cycle-level simulator (runs under X)

I haven't looked at either of the cycle-level simulators yet, but I'd
have to assume they worked ok. There are a few BSDisms in the code that
can be fixed by modifying some #include <whatever.h> to the appropriate
#include <bsd/whatever.h> and by linking with -lbsd.

I don't actually remember where the source is archived, but I think
archie can find it ok. If there's a need for it, I guess I can put
my binaries up somewhere, but I hope we're all capable of "compiling
our own" <grin>. I probably will put the patches I did up somewhere
when I get around to it.

Anyhow, I think it could be quite a useful tool...

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
	my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r