Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

From: Carlo J. Calica <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 16:31:36 CDT

> Going from memory (I'm at USENIX and my notes are at home):
> 	79R3051E-20	$79	(non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
> 	79R3051E-40	$155	(non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
> 	79R3081E-40	$297	(FPU, 8k I-cache, 16k D-cache)
> I have prices for all of the various speeds and packages but that's all
> I can remember.
> 
So we're looking at a $150 price difference.  But it also doubles the cache.
Personally I'm in favor of dropping Ethernet and video for the FPU.  If we
keep the ISA video we retain the ability to use a somewhat modified XFree
rather than rewriting it.  I also have no use for Ethernet either.  SCSI
should be kept though.  Where else can we cut cost a little to get the FPU?
Or should we increase the cap to <$600 with the FPU. 

--
 /------------------------------+--------------------------------------\
| Carlo J. Calica               | Linux:  Choice of the GNU Generation  |
|     [email-masked]       | Dittos from the People's              | 
 \ University of Wisconsin      | Republic of Madison                  /

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil Russell)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:31:40 PDT

> Or should we increase the cap to <$600 with the FPU. 

At the moment I'm figuring <$700.  Cost cutting like this is pointless
until we have the likely costs of the various other components in
the system.  From what I'm guessing though, doing it all for less than
the target price is a definate possible.

-- 
Neil Russell		(The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology			Email:  [email-masked]
3860 N. First Street			Voice:  (408) 428-7302
San Jose, CA 95134-1702			  FAX:  (408) 428-8845