Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

From: Hai Pham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 15:33:29 -0300

On Jun 23,  2:10, Bill Broadley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>I've heard rumors about cheap EISA support chipsets anyone know how much
>it would add?
>

If we are going to build this mother board, I was thinking that it might
be wise to have a slot or two (sort of like a local bus or a Mac's CPU
slot) which allows high speed access to memory and the CPU.  We may
eventually want to build upgrade CPU cards, or co-processor(s), or
whatever.  The point is, from past experience, no matter how well designed
a mother board is initially, someone will find a need to add faster
components to it later on and having to do that thru an ISA slot will be a
real liability.  So I think if having such a thing doesn't add too much to
the complexity and/or cost of the mother board, we should give it serious
thought.

hai
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Neil Russell)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:26:11 PDT

> the complexity and/or cost of the mother board, we should give it serious

Adding a high speed bus like many have proposed adds to the complexity.
Reliable high speed bus design could be considered an art.  I'm waiting
to see how the main bus stuff panes out before looking into that.

-- 
Neil Russell		(The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology			Email:  [email-masked]
3860 N. First Street			Voice:  (408) 428-7302
San Jose, CA 95134-1702			  FAX:  (408) 428-8845