Subject: Re: cost of fpu? EISA?

From: Patrick Mackinlay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 09:32:02 +0800 (WST)

>	79R3051E-20	$79	(non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
>	79R3051E-40	$155	(non-FPU, 4k I-cache, 8k D-cache)
>	79R3081E-40	$297	(FPU, 8k I-cache, 16k D-cache)

This is a bit late, but I believe the cache sizes above are wrong. As
far as I'm aware, the '51 has 4k i-cache + 2k d-cache. The '52 has 8k
i-cache + 2k d-cache. The '81 I'm not so sure about, but I suspect it's
16k i-cache + 8k d-cache, not as indicated above. Anyone have a book
with the '81 spec?

I suspect there's not much of a price difference between the '51 and
the '52 either - perhaps we'd do well by going for the '52 when the
time comes? As Steve mentioned, we don't really have to worry about
this yet anyhow...

Pat -- "There's only one thing left to do Mama, I got to ding a ding dang
	my dang a long ling long" (Jesus Built My Hotrod -- Ministry)
GCS d* -p+ c++ l++ m--- s+/- !g w- t- r

---

From: Stephen Siu-ming Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 10:05:19 HKT

Hi Risciers,

>time comes? As Steve mentioned, we don't really have to worry about

Do you guys and gals have benchmark results for '51, '52, and '81?  As
long as all the above CPUs are pin compatible (really?) why should we
argue the choice of CPU?  We can make a board without CPU and everyone
can put in his/her affordable CPU on the board!  Any other special
issue for this setup despite we have to deal with floating point
emulator in software if the hardware doesn't have one?

I think we have to decide (are we already said 40MHz?) the CPU clock
frequency and go on to other tricky part, such as ISA bus, ethernet,
video, etc.

*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*
v Stephen Wong Siu-ming    v internet: [email-masked]  v
^ Computer Services Center ^ bitnet  : [email-masked] ^
* Chinese University of    * phone   : (852) 609-8904       *
v Hong Kong                v fax     : (852) 603-5001       v
*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*