Subject: Re: your mail

From: [email-masked] (6692)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 14:13:15 -0500 (CDT)

Someone said:
> 
> >I agree that an ISA bus would be neat and allow us to put lots of 
> >clone cards in the system, but I could live even without this.
> 
> I used to think that we could do without any sort of I/O expansion bus,
> but it does mean that you have to put _everything_ on the motherboard,
> including disgusting things like floppy controllers. If we can do an
> ISA interface (anyone have any ideas on how to do this yet?) without
> affecting the overall price too much, I'd say go for it. If not, rip
> it off and use Steve's simpler design. This will mean that we have to
> make our own cards, but they won't be difficult, and it will keep the
> cost of the whole machine down.
> 
Generally I agree.  How about, as a completely separate project, a
SCSI <=> ISA bus translator?  If SCSI is fast enough for a tape
drive it's plenty fast enough for anything I'd want to buy an
ISA-bus board for.  Would this be feasible?  Anything with a SCSI
bus (e.g., Mac, SUN-3) could use it.