Subject: EISA/arc 100

From: Bill Broadley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 10:25:09 -0500 (EDT)

So anyone have an appoximate price of the Intel 82350 EISA chipset?

The Nec chipset can handle lots of buffered dma devices for on board
goodies, but I believe the implementation of the arc 100 motherboard
puts almost nothing on the motherboard.

If things were on the motherboard why would they offer video, etherenet,
serial, audio, mouse as seperate boards (actually designs for boards)?

I don't have a good handle on the design time/difficulty moving the
devices from the EISA expansion boards that come with the ARC 100 production
kit onto the motherboard.  But the EISA bus is fairly fast/robust
so I think it will be mainly a price and design effort consideration
to decide were things like etherenet, serial, audio etc end up.

We don't HAVE to implement any of the features, but then the cost
of the ISA or EISA purchased seperately devices can add up.  For me
personally the cost of the EISA adaptec scsi controller would make
the system price prohibitive to me.

-- 
Bill					1st>	[email-masked]
[email-masked] <2nd 	3rd> 	             [email-masked]
Linux is great.         Bike to live, live to bike.                      PGP-ok

---

From: [email-masked] (Keith Rohrer)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 09:53:16 -0600 (CDT)

> So anyone have an appoximate price of the Intel 82350 EISA chipset?
What about the SiS or other (non-intel but still full 32-bit dma,
unlike the hint nice thingie...)?  The big problem with EISA in the
early days was that only Intel made the chips, and charged the usual
Intel connector-conspiracy prices...

	Keith