Subject: i960 joke

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Dyer)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 93 17:40 PDT

>[email-masked]
>suggested to use intel 80960CA/CF chips. 
>I work in a project that uses andI960 chip, thus I should know what
>I am talking about. 
>
>      DO NOT USE I960's FOR A UNIX PORT!

;-)

The suggestion was mostly a joke.  The point was that perhaps there
might be a way to craft a more desirable piece of CPU silicon into a
486 local bus mode to leverage off of the availablility of
motherboards.  It might be cool to have a daughterboard that acts like
a 486, so you could buy an existing PC motherboard sans CPU, add the
daughterboard, a few VESA cards, and voila! Instant upgrade.
Depending on the CPU this could range from impossible to merely
annoying.  Obviously this will not give top performance, nor will it
be 100% 486 compatible, but it might be feasible.  Sorry to alarm you
all...