Subject: ASCII stereograms

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bowen)
Date: 24 Feb 92 11:15:30 GMT

Recently, there have been two ASCII stereograms on the alt.3d newsgroup
(one posted by me, after seeing the first one!). I find these things
fascinating; but surely it has been done before. I would be interested
in pointers, references, etc. to previous examples of such sterograms.
I include the two from alt.3d below for those who don't receive the
"alt" hierarchy. In fact, this is the first "alt" newsgroup I have
actually found interesting. I can recommend it to "comp.graphics"
readers.

--
Jonathan Bowen
Oxford University Computing Laboratory, Programming Research Group
11 Keble Road, Oxford OX1 3QD, England.
Tel:     +44-865-272574 (direct) or 273840 (secretary)
FAX:     +44-865-272582 (direct) or 273839 (general)
Email:   [email-masked]

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: [email-masked] (David B. Thomas)
Newsgroups: alt.3d
Subject: A genuine ASCII stereogram!
Date: 12 Feb 92 00:16:39 GMT
Organization: yenta unix pc, rio rancho, nm
Lines: 22

Here's an ASCII single image random dot stereogram for your enjoyment.
To get the 3d effect, you need to diverge (unfocus) your eyes
such that two adjacent letters in the same row come together.
To help you focus, try to make the two capital O's at the top
look like three.  Once you've done that, the rest of the image
should jump out of the screen at you!

                              O    O
n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n   n
f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f    f
e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e   e
a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a    a
a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a
r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r    r
r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r   r

Hope you enjoyed it!

						little david
-- 
Who *cares* if your child made the %&*#@! honor roll?

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bowen)
Newsgroups: alt.3d,comlab.cracker
Subject: Re: A genuine ASCII stereogram!
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 92 15:36:09 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bowen)
Organization: Programming Research Group, Oxford University, UK
Lines: 49

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(David B. Thomas) writes:
>Hope you enjoyed it!

Yes I did, thank you very much. So much so, that I have created
one of my own. The instructions are as before:

>Here's an ASCII single image random dot stereogram for your enjoyment.
>To get the 3d effect, you need to diverge (unfocus) your eyes
>such that two adjacent letters in the same row come together.
>To help you focus, try to make the two capital O's at the top
>look like three.  Once you've done that, the rest of the image
>should jump out of the screen at you!

Try moving your head back from the screen and moving it about a bit
once you have focused on the image to increase the stereo effect even
more.  Have fun!  Perhaps we can have a whole series of these!

                            O         O
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
   .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .
   .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
     .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .
 .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .
      .        .        .        .        .        .        .
   .         .         .         .         .         .         .
.          .          .          .          .          .          .
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
|          |          |          |          |          |          |
   .         .         .         .         .         .         .
      .        .        .        .        .        .        .
 .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .       .
     .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .      .
   .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .
   .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

--
Jonathan Bowen, <[email-masked]>
Oxford University Computing Laboratory.

----- End Included Message -----

--
Jonathan Bowen, <[email-masked]>
Oxford University Computing Laboratory.