Subject: Announcing Bamboo Helper v1.0 (long)

From: Carlos McEvilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 15:53:35 EST

Announcing Bamboo Helper Version 1.0--June 22, 1993
          ===================================================

      Electronic Text Tools for Students of the Chinese Language

  What is Bamboo Helper?
  ======================

  Bamboo Helper is a shareware program for students of the Chinese
  language.  It helps students read Chinese text files on their PC-
  compatible computers by showing the correct pronunciation, the
  location of word breaks, and other useful information.  Bamboo
  Helper remembers a student's reading level and uses this
  knowledge to generate helpful output files, including vocabulary
  lists and flashcards that may be printed out for later use.
  Bamboo Helper works with popular Chinese display systems such as
  MS-Windows 3.1 Chinese Edition and ETen Chinese System.

  Although students will be the primary users of Bamboo Helper, the
  program may also be valuable to linguists, translators, teachers,
  librarians, and scholars working with the Chinese language.

  An additional, more interactive program entitled Bamboo Tutor,
  also for students of Chinese, is currently under development.

  About the Name
  ==============

  Bamboo has long played a part in Chinese writing with its use as
  a writing media, as a base for paper making, and even as stock
  for handles of writing brushes.  This transparent yet close
  connection between bamboo and Chinese writing inspired the Bamboo
  Helper name.  Bamboo Helper aims to be just as transparent a tool
  for making Chinese text more accessible to students.

  Bamboo Helper Features
  ======================

    *  Transliterates Chinese text to Pinyin, Wade-Giles, Yale, or
       Zhuyinfuhao (Bopomofo) format
    *  Identifies the correct pronunciation for po4yin1 zi4
       (Chinese characters with more than one pronunciation)
    *  Segments Chinese text to add breaks between words
    *  Provides dictionary entry numbers for quick lookup of
       characters or words (used with the Far East Chinese-English
       Dictionary from the Far East Book Co. Ltd., Taipei)
    *  Generates flashcards tailored for specific text files
    *  Generates vocabulary lists for specific text files
    *  Keeps track of your Chinese character vocabulary, to help
       you with characters you haven't yet learned
    *  Generates lists of your Chinese character vocabulary
    *  Extracts Chinese text strings from binary files
    *  Extracts ASCII text strings from binary files
    *  Automatically decodes UUENCODED files

  Bamboo Helper Requirements
  ==========================

  Bamboo Helper runs on IBM PC compatible machines running DOS
  versions 3.3 or higher. It will also run in a Windows DOS window,
  an OS/2 DOS session, or a DESQview DOS window.

  Bamboo Helper does not display Chinese characters and does not
  provide editing functions.  The program is compatible with
  popular PC-based Chinese display systems such as Eten, Kuo Chiao,
  and MS-Windows Chinese Edition.  A Chinese display system is not
  required to run Bamboo Helper, but is required to see Chinese
  characters on the screen.

  Bamboo Helper Availability
  ==========================

  Bamboo Helper v1.0 is being made available as fully functional
  shareware.  The registration price is US$37. (The only difference
  between the shareware version and the registered version is that
  the shareware version has very brief shareware reminder screens--
  'nag screens'--on startup and exit.  There are several positive
  incentives for registering.)  Bamboo Helper can be downloaded
  from BBSs that carry Chinese-language related software, and from
  the following Internet ftp sites:

       ahkcus.org
       crl.nmsu.edu
       ifcss.org

  The World Data Exchange (WDE) BBS in Taipei, Taiwan carries beta
  test versions and updates of Bamboo Helper:

       886-2-935-5783 (Node 3, for new users) Sysop: James Thomas

  The registered version of Bamboo Helper can be ordered directly
  from the author for US$37 plus US$3 Shipping/Handling (S/H for
  overseas orders is US$6; NM residents add $2.27 for sales tax):

       Carlos McEvilly
       232 Anita Place
       Santa Fe, NM  87501  USA