Subject: Summary for CALL in Chinese

From: Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 11:20:39 BST

Hi there,

I made inquiry about Chinese language teaching programmes a couple of weeks
ago. As requested, I am sending a list of the e-mails I have received
with my thanks to all the senders.

From: [email-masked] (Yuan Jiang)

I remember someone has uploaded some teaching aid software to
ifcss.org.  I also have couple of brochure from Taiwan companies.
But they mostly for teaching children to read and write Chinese
I don't know how to translate their company names and addresses.
But here are their phone numbers
1) (02) - 7056252, (02) 8947502
2) (02) 5044124, Fax, (02) 5070069

From: Huijie <[email-masked]>

Did you try NJStar?  This program has a function call "DispCode" which will
display the input code of the current character.  Now, if you are in the
Pure Pinyin mode, it will display the pinyin for the current character.  If
you are in the Pinyin mode, it will display the pinyin plus the tone number.
Another function is to output of the current file with input codes for each
character into a file.  You may think about several ways to use this
function.

And you can get a trial version of it free of charge by ftp to ifcss.org,
the file is under software\dos\editor, I believe.

From: Thomas Bartlett <[email-masked]>

May I suggest that you send an email message to Dr. Otmar Foelsche at
Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, USA.  Dr. Foelsche is director of the
Computer Services Laboratory there and, in collaboration with several
faculty members of the Asian Studies Program, has produced some
interesting and useful software for Chinese language teaching.  Also ask
them about the work done by Prof. Ted Yao (YAO Tao-chung/ Yao Daozhong) at
Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts.

The email address of Dr. Otmar Foelsche:  "[email-masked]".

From: [email-masked] (Mr Bill Louw)

Telephone Tim Johns at ELR School of English,  University of Birmingham
Box 363 Birmingham B15 2TT.

He is an expert on this subject.

From: [email-masked]

The best new Chinese Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) program
I have seen is MacZi, developed by IPACE at the University of NSW in
Australia (University of NSW P.O.  Box 1 Kensington, NSW 2033 Australia
ph 61 2 697 3175 fax 61 2 662 6566) This is a colourized hypercard
program that has A LOT of sounds in it (about 30 MB worth).  It teaches
the first 600 Chinese characters, through a variety of drills and
exercises, and includes animated sequences for every character showing
the stroke order.  There are also phonetic/comparison exercises,
recognition drills etc.  They can send you a demo disk if you write or
fax.

Qiao Zhang
U.K.