Subject: KX (~{?lQ'~}) Chinese Teaching Tool

From: Norm Matloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 21:31:38 -0700

As I mentioned earlier today, I have developed a program for viewing
Chinese files, which is intended to help accelerate the process of
learning new characters.  It does this via electronic dictionary
lookup of any character at which the user clicks the mouse.  This
eliminates the tiresome tedium associated with manual lookup, which
means the student can learn more characters, faster.

As another learning aid, the program records to a file all the
characters the student has mouse-clicked.  The student can later
make a hard copy of the file, and thus have a handy printed paper
from which to review the new characters he/she has learned.

(Also, faculty who teach Chinese can use this file as a means of
collecting data for research purposes, say to investigate which
characters are clicked the most often by students who are
learning Chinese.)

KX is a free program (subject to mild conditions regarding educational
use).  If you wish to have a copy, just send me e-mail.

Several people have asked me if I plan to make KX available by ftp.
The answer is yes, later on, but for now I am asking you to request
it from me by e-mail, so that I can see how much interest there is
in it.

Again, the current version of DOS is for the Big5/KC environment.
Important question:  Is there much interest in an Hz/ZWDOS version?
This would be very easy for me to do, needing only a few small changes
to the source code.  But in my opinion the fonts in ZWDOS are not
clear enough for students who are learning Chinese (I think ZWDOS is
otherwise excellent).  Please let me know if you wish to have an Hz/ZWDOS
version of KX.  If there is sufficient interest, I will maintain both
versions.

    Norm Matloff
    [email-masked]