Subject: new version of FLASH available

From: Stephen G Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 19:05:23 -0400

I have just released a new version of my Chinese flashcard program,
FLASH.  This software is free.  Enjoy!

FLASH runs under MS-DOS and is written in Turbo C using the Borland
Graphics Interface.  Complete source code is included.  For both users
and programmers, an interesting feature of FLASH is its use of HBF,
the new standard for Chinese bitmap fonts.  I am now employing Ross
Paterson's HBF API implementation, the same one that also appears in
hz2ps-3.0 and hzview-3.0 under Unix.  Ross's HBF implementation is
much better than my old one.

The new version of Flash also includes ZIDIAN.ALL, a large file of
single-character flashcards.  If you would like to create your own
single-character flashcard files, you can now do so by using an
ordinary text editor to extract lines from ZIDIAN.ALL.  (However, in
order to create multi-character flashcard files, you will still need a
way to enter Big5 and GB Chinese characters.)  ZIDIAN.ALL was created
by Ross Paterson from his Chinese character data, available at
crl.nmsu.edu:/pub/chinese/hanzi-data.

One thing that is missing from the new version of FLASH is the bitmap
font files that you will need to run the program.  These bitmap
font files, CCLIB.24 and KCCHIN24.F00, are available elsewhere,
as explained below.

I welcome comments about FLASH, or suggestions for improvement.
Please send me e-mail at [email-masked].

software: Flash 1.5
version : 1.5, 23 Sept 1993.
function: Chinese flashcard program.  Useful for English-speaking
          students of the Chinese language.  Works with standard
          graphics hardware such as CGA, EGA, VGA, Hercules, 8514.
          Flashcard files use Big5 for traditional characters and
          GB for simplified characters.  Turbo C source is included.
ftp site: ifcss.org[129.107.1.155]:/software/dos/education
          math.psu.edu[146.186.131.129]:/pub/simpson/chinese/msdos
filename: flash-15.zip, 196883 bytes.
          You will also need cclib.24 and kcchin24.f00,
          available in ifcss.org:/software/fonts or in
          math.psu.edu:/pub/simpson/chinese/hbf/bitmap-font-files.
author  : Stephen G. Simpson <[email-masked]>