Subject: pattern recognition

From: Tin Kam Ho <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 09:55:36 EDT

For those who are interested chinese character recognition:
  Please refer to

  Shunji Mori, Kazuhiko Yamamoto, and Michio Yasuda,
  "Research on Machine Recognition of Handprinted Characters",
  IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
  Vol. PAMI-6, No. 4, July 1984, pp 386-405.

  This paper contains a very good survey on methods for recognizing
  handprinted chinese characters.

  As a worker on a closely related topic,   I'll also be happy to
  discuss with you if you'd like to know more or want to share some ideas.

---

From: "J.B. WANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 90 11:27:00 EDT

It really depends on what you would define as pattern recoginition. If you
ask if anybody has developed a algorithm that can recoganize a Chinese
character according to its image or strokes, I would say yes.

Pattern recogonition of Chinese characters may have formed its own way
un-intentionally due to some effort of creating stroke input schemes.
It does not follow the traditonal momentum of insertia, and center of gravity
concept. That concept has also brought English characters pattern recogonition
into a stagnation point since proportion fonts have all different
characteristics although same character is being scanned. This scheme will
never work for Chinese fonts and handwritten fonts. Some institutions of
mainland China have successfully produced pressure-sensitive boards on
which you write Chinese characters that will appear on the screen. I
would also believe that it is not too far away from recoganing characters
through a scanner.

J.B. Wang