Subject: Chinese Spoken-input method

From: Sluggo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 12:51:14 CDT

Hi,

I recently heard that Chinese is the EASIEST to develop a spoken-input
method for, because Chinese has only 4,000 sounds.

(English has about 10,000 sounds).

Some computer labratory has invented a 'robot'(?) that responds to
commands in Chinese (I assume Mandarin). Supposedly the CHinese
is easiest...

Of course on a PC, you'd need a speech-input board of some kind.
And, hardware runs up the expense..  ugh!

                                       Sluggo

---

From: Scott Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 15:58:50 EDT

> because Chinese has only 4,000 sounds....  (English has about 10,000 sounds).

You mean syllables--in which case, by your argument (which, incidentally, is
not valid), it would be still easier to develop a speech-recognition system
for Japanese, as Japanese has only a couple hundred syllables.

                                        --Scott