Subject: OCR system for Chinese?

From: Charles W Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1992 14:05:55 EDT

Anyone know anything about some of the most popular OCR systems for
Chinese used in Taiwan?

Thanks,

Charles

  **** Om Ma-Ni Pe-Me Hung **** | "All the world's phenomena and ideas
  ==============================|  Are like a dream, like magic,
      Charles Wei-Ting Tang     |  and like a reflected image."
   [email-masked]  |                 -- The Diamond Sutra

---

From: Charles W Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 92 21:38:15 EDT

Hi!  I only got two replies about this.  One from Hui Zhao Wang:
------------------------
I don't know such kind of software in Taiwan, but I know in china, there is
program call Tesing chinese ocr developed by e.e. dept of Tesing univ.
the developer claimed it could recognize up to 98% multi-fonds pure chinese
document(no western character). I have found it weak in the document
which has digit, or chinese charater mix with western character. the ocr
result is gb text. no self-learing process inside(terrible).
 
hz
------------------------

The other from Avron Boretz, saying
------------------------
I would like to know about this too -- but according to the latest
info (a bit out of date, admittedly) that I have, a big consortium (with
government backing) was working on CHinese OCR, and it was not in a
very advanced state, probably nowhere near ready for commercial
release.  On the other hand, the Japanese have already come up with
commercial OCR softwa (but based on the proprietary NEC platform).
Avron
---------------------

Good luck!

-Charles