Subject: Stroke Recognition (Pattern Recognition)

From: Qiru Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 90 20:10:40 EST

Stroke recognition input for Chinese (or Japanese for the
Ch character part) is practical for the small amount
of information inputs, like take information or fill
up spreadsheet by computer novices. I saw some of these
devices (like a small tablet or digitizer) market available
several years ago with supporting software in PRC. They
are not depend on any writing habit or orders. The problem
is that kind of input device is not good for vast, fast input,
like typing a paper, etc. The same situation as in voice
recognition (this is more difficult problem for any language).

The stroke recognition algorithm is faster than voice
recognition. But still it need to speed up. I try to think
to do something on it by using so called "neural network"
structure. BTW, our lab. now have a project in speech
recognition by "neural network" systems. Although it
deal with English, the idea can be used in any other languages.

Qiru Zhou,
Dept. of ECE
Drexel University
Phila. PA