Subject: Unicode (forwarded info)

From: John Delacour <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 1994 00:12:54 +0100

Asmus Freytag
Vice President Marketing
The Unicode Consortium

    The Unicode(R) Consortium is pleased to announce the availability
    of an implementers tutorial "Introduction to Unicode(tm)" created for
     the Consortium by  the Institute for Advanced Professional Studies.

    This Tutorial has been presented at several recent Unicode
    Implementers Workshops, by its author, Glenn Adams of Metis
    Technology, and is now available separately in print for the first time.

    "Introduction to Unicode" presents an in-depth discussion of the
    architectural features of the Unicode Standard and how they
    relate to the writing systems in use throughout the world.

    The Tutorial starts with a survey of the requirements of different
    scripts and writing systems, continuing with a discussion of
    what character codes represent. The terms Text Element and
    Code Element are introduced and examined. A detailed look
    at individual architectural features of the Unicode Standard
    follows, including the display, processing and interchange model
    underlying the design of the Standard.

    The Tutorial concludes with a focus on implementation issues for
    bi-directional text and Indic Script processing. Helpful appendices
    include a glossary and an extensive bibliography.

    Spiral bound, 207 pages. Price: $40.00 plus shipping and handling.
    Please contact [email-masked] to order.