Subject: useful publications on character sets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 15:46:00 EST

There are some publications which members of the CCNET-L list
should be aware of:

    1. *Non-Roman Scripts: A Software Directory*, compiled by
Susan MacDougall, 1988. ( available from the compiler, 2 Wirraway
Crescent, Scullin, ACT 2614 Australia)

    2. John Clews, *Language Automation Worldwide: The
Development of Character Set Standards* (Harrogate UK: Sesame
Computer Projects, 1988) (available from the publisher, 8 Avenue
Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 7PG, Great Britain)

    -- p. 128-137 treats character sets for East Asian scripts;
    -- p. 138-149 treats multiple-byte coded character sets for East
Asian scripts, including JIS C 6226-1978 and 1983, Taiwan's CCCII
(volumes 1-3), SICGCC, CNS-11643, "Big 5," GB2312-80 and GB2313,
Korean KS C 5601-1986 and KIPS
    -- p. 150-165 treats international standardization sets REACC
(RLIN East Asian Character Code)/EACC (Eas Asian Character Code),
tape formats for MARC records at the Library of Congress and
JAPAN/MARC, and the issues of ANSI/EBCDIC compatibility and
conversion.

    3. *Sesame  Bulletin*, which deals with the automation of
text in non-Roman scripts (quarterly, same address as above)