Subject: New Membership Categories for Unicode Consortium, fyi

From: "K. Smith-Yoshimura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 10:01:28 PDT

For those of you who may be interested.

---------------------------- FORWARDED MESSAGE ------------------------------
Date: 6 May 92 15:08:51 U
From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Membership Categories
To: [email-masked]

Subject:   New Membership Categories            Time: 15:05      Date: 92.05.06
========================================================================
                       New Membership Categories
========================================================================

As directed by the board, the officers of Unicode Inc. have revised the
affiliate membership, replacing this category with two new categories:
associate membership and individual membership.

If you are interested in becoming a full (corporate) member, associate member
or individual member, please contact:

     Unicode, Inc.
     1965 Charleston Road
     Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
     Phone:    (415) 961-4189
     Fax:      (415) 966-1637
     Internet: [email-masked]

Current affiliate members are unaffected by this revision until their next
annual renewal. However, they may elect to switch to one of the other
categories by meeting the membership requirements. Except for full membership
rights and obligations specified in the bylaws, Unicode Inc. reserves the right
to change the membership features at any time.

The following information summarizes the differences between the three classes
of membership, and their relationship to: Unicode, Inc., the Unicode Technical
Committee (UTC) the UTC subcommittees (SCs), the email distribution lists
(DLs), and the Unicode Implementer's Workshops (UIWs).

========================================================================

Full (Corporate) Membership

1. Eligibility

a. Limited to corporations.
b. Cannot be more than 50% owned by other corporate members.
c. Committed to publicly support Unicode, as phrased in the bylaws of Unicode
Inc.
e. Fees of US$10,000 per year, due on January 1.

2. Benefits

a. Can attend and vote in Unicode Inc. membership meetings, UTC closed caucus
meetings, UTC meetings and SC meetings.
b. Can chair SC meetings.
c. Can subscribe to the restricted, minutes, and general DLs.
d. Eligible for discounts on UIWs.
e. Will receive 5 free copies of editions of the Unicode Standard.
f. Can copy UIW proceedings for no fee as long as they are only for internal
use. (The UIW proceedings are copyrighted by Unicode, Inc.)
g. Acknowledged in various Unicode publications.

========================================================================

Associate Membership

1. Eligibility

a. Open to both corporations and individuals.
b. Can be more than 50% owned by other members.
c. Committed to publicly support Unicode, as phrased in the bylaws of Unicode
Inc.
e. Fees of US$1,200 per year, due on January 1.

2. Benefits

a. Can attend and speak at UTC meetings and SC meetings.
b. Can chair SC meetings.
c. Can subscribe to the restricted, minutes, and general DLs.
d. Eligible for discounts on UIWs.
e. Will receive 1 free copy of editions of the Unicode Standard.
f. Included in a list of associates periodically made available by the Unicode
PR agency.

========================================================================

Individual Membership

1. Eligibility

a. Limited to individuals
b. Fees of US$180 per year, for one year from the date of fee receipt.

2. Meetings and Fees

a. Can observe at UTC meetings, and attend and speak at SC meetings.
b. Can subscribe to the minutes and general DLs.
c. Will receive 1 free copy of editions of the Unicode Standard.

========================================================================

Non-members

a. Can observe at UTC and SC meetings, space permitting.
b. Can subscribe to the general DL.

========================================================================

The Unicode Distribution lists include:

General:             [email-masked]
Minutes & Agendas:   [email-masked]
Restricted:          [email-masked]