Subject: chpoem-l.faq

From: XiaoFei Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 12:54:54 CDT

I am sorry for the confusion I created, I hope this message will
clear it.

1) the chpoem-l.faq *has been delinked* with other newsgroups
   this gives people a *choice* whether or not to post
   their messages to other groups, and to what groups. I have added
   a paragraph in the faq on this:

"
Once you subscribed to CHPOEM-L, you can communicate with other
subscribers by sending email to either [email-masked] or
[email-masked].

If you wish also to send your postings to some newsgroups, you can do
so on your own by putting the newsgroup address
<newsgroup>@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu on the cc: line. You should replace
<newsgroup> with your favoriate newsgroup name such as
alt.chinese.text, chinese.rec.misc, etc.
"
I believe that is the consensus we have reached.

2) the `annal fee' which is to post one poem per year has been removed
   from the FAQ.

3) the current # of subscribers is around 250. I do not worry much about
   the number. I believe chpoem-l has quite good publicity. CND/HXWZ
   mentioned it quite a few times, and I put the advertisement in my
   .signature. I believe people who should know it have known it, and
   people who should come have come.

Here is the faq for new members, it is also available from
ifcss.org:/china-studies/huangxin-collection/chpoem-l.faq
It seems the complete shi1jing1 诗经 is availabe from Shann's
site in BIG5 format. See below for Shann's service.

              =======================================
              Frequently Asked Questions for CHPOEM-L
              =======================================

=================
TABLE OF CONTENTS
=================

1. How to Subscribe/Unsubscribe CHPOEM-L
2. Where to find Chinese Text
3. Some computer problems rarely meantioned in other FAQs.
4. Acknowledgement

=====================
1. What is CHPOEM-L ?
=====================

CHPOEM-L is an electronic mailing list devoted to sharing and
_discussing_ Chinese poems, either yours or others.
Postings in either uuencode GB, HZ, or uuencoded BIG5 are welcome.

Try to use as reliable a source as possible when typing poems, and
identify it in your message.  As a general rule, try to use the
following format:

  line 1:  AUTHOR TITLE     ; (Poet's name, a space, then title of poem)
  line 2:  <blank line>     ; (Leave a blank line before starting text)
  line 3:  ...text...       ; (Text of poem)
   ...        ....
  your name and email id at the end

To subscribe to CHPOEM-L, send email to either [email-masked] or
[email-masked].  Leave the subject line blank.  For the
text of the message, enter the following line only (filling in your
name as appropriate):

        SUB CHPOEM-L Yourfirstname Yourlastname

Once you subscribed to CHPOEM-L, you can communicate with other
subscribers by sending email to either [email-masked] or
[email-masked].

If you wish also to send your postings to some newsgroups, you can do
so on your own by putting the newsgroup address
<newsgroup>@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu on the cc: line. You should replace
<newsgroup> with your favoriate newsgroup name such as
alt.chinese.text, chinese.rec.misc, etc.

To unsubscribe from the list, send the message SIGNOFF CHPOEM-L
to either [email-masked] or [email-masked].

===============================
2. Where to find chinese text?
===============================

Chinese text, postings to this list as part of, is collected and archived
for your convenience by the following nice people:

Wang Huangxin ( [email-masked] ) collection can be
accessed via anonymous ftp and gopher from
  ifcss.org(129.107.1.155):/china-studies/huangxin-collection
  cnd.org(132.249.229.100):/pub/ifcss.org/china-studies/huangxin-collection
  lunix.met.kth.se(130.237.16.204):/pub/poem
Read README in the same directory for details.
Huangxin-collection is rich in poetry.

Li Xiaoyu collection can be accessed via anonymous ftp and gopher
  ifcss.org(129.107.1.155):/china-studies/xiaoyu-collection
  cnd.org(132.249.229.100):/pub/ifcss.org/china-studies/xiaoyu-collection
Xiaoyu-collection is jiang4gang1-like, including novel, prose, classics,
etc.

Shann Wei-Chang <[email-masked]> collection
can be accessed by anonymous ftp and gopher from
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw(140.115.25.3):/pub/shann/chinese/*
All of the files are coded in BIG5 format. Shann-collection concentrates
on poetry and classics.

Besides these collections, there are follow serial publications in chinese
language:

Hua-Xia-Wen-Zhai, a weekly chinese magazine by CND, can be accessed
via anonymous ftp and gopher from
  cnd.org(132.249.229.100):/pub/hxwz
  ifcss.org(129.107.1.155):/hxwz

Other on line electronic chinese magazines can be accessed via anonymous ftp
and gopher from
  ifcss.org(129.107.1.155):/org/*
  cnd.org(132.249.229.100):/pub/ifcss.org/org
For example, Xin1Yu3Si1, is in xys subdirectory under org.

alt.chinese.text, a USENET free discussion newsgroup in chinese language,
is selectively achived at:
  ifcss.org(129.107.1.155):/act
All files are coded in HZ format.

===========================
3.  About Chinese Computing
===========================

Most commonly used softwares can be obtained from
ifcss.org[129.107.1.155]:/software directory via anonymous FTP.
Read 'catalogue' first. Also some FAQs in
ifcss.org[129.107.1.155]:/china-studies/net-resources may also help.

The following items are rarely mentioned in other FAQs so I include them here.

=======================
File format conversions
=======================

mac uses CR as end of line.
msdos uses CR/LF as end of line.
unix uses LF as end of line.

The file formats are automatically converted by file transferring
programs, but sometimes not. The following are solutions:

mac to unix:
  unix-prompt> tr '\015' '\012' < infile > outfile
mac to msdos:
  can be done by add-lf.exe FTP'able from ifcss.org:/software/dos/utils
msdos to unix:
  can be done by flip.exe FTP'able from ifcss.org:/software/dos/utils
msdos to mac: see below
unix to msdos:
  can be done by flip.exe FTP'able from ifcss.org:/software/dos/utils
unix to mac: see below

Mac users:  You have it the easiest.  The Mac will interpret all three
            possible end-of-line markers without difficulty.  Beware,
            however, that downloading files in text mode causes line-
            feeds to be replaced with carriage returns--creating double
            carriage returns when downloading DOS files.  Avoid this
            by always downloading files in binary mode.

================
uuencode problem
================

Some uuencoded file has a little bug, i.e. there is an "short file" error
at the end of the uudecoded file, usually garbage tacked on to otherwise
complete text.

Fix: please replace all spaces AFTER the "begin 644....."  line with
single-back-quotes (`).  And if there's a blank line between the last line
of encoded text and the "end" line, please type a ` there as well.

Another solution is to get uuencode.c and uudecode.c from
ifcss.org in the directory of /software/unix/utils
compile them, and use them for uuencoding and uudecoding.

==================
4. Acknowledgement
==================

I would like to thank all contributors to this list and all of the
maintainers of the chinese text archives. This list is not useful
without them.

--
XiaoFei Wang ( [email-masked] )