Subject: CND-US, September 22, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 01:58:26 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                         Wednesday, September 22, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Brief (3 items) ..................................................31
2. China Sidesteps U.S. Accusations of Upcoming Nuclear Test .............42
3. High-Ranking Government Religious Affairs Delegation Arrives in U.S. ..52
4. Panda Wars Heating up at San Francisco City Hall ......................26
5. CSPA Information Exchange:
   Northern and Eastern Service Centers Start Sending Approvals ..........44
6. IFCSS Updates Hu Liqun's Case, Calls for Further Support ..............40
7. The Questionair of IFCSS Survey on Parental Visits ....................44
8. Chinese Community Forum (CCF) Publishes Issue #9304 ...................18
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (3 items) ..................................................31
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[NB, 9/20/1993]LOWELL, MASSACHUSETTS -- Wang Laboratories is likely to
emerge from 13 months of Chapter 11 protection under US bankruptcy law today.
At a confirmation hearing in Boston, US Bankruptcy Court Judge William C.
Hillman is expected to approve the company's reorganization plan, freeing
Wang to resume normal operations as a much smaller company focused on
certain software areas. (Forward by: Charles.Mok)
                                ___ ___ ___

[BUSINESSWIRE, 9/20/1993] SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- L.A. Gear Tuesday
announced yet another victory against international counterfeiters. After an
intensive five month investigation L.A. Gear, along with its Chinese legal
counsel and the Chinese Administration for Industry and Commerce, conducted
a raid on The Zhangjiagang Foreign Trade Corp., an export company, and Anhui
Taili Factory, a Chinese footwear factory. Over 15,000 counterfeit pairs of
the best selling L.A. Gear Workout shoe were seized at the factory, along
with corresponding documents. In a second action in China, a raid on the
Zhan Tu shoe factory led to the seizure of approximately 700 pairs of L.A.
Gear shoes and 1500 shoe boxes bearing the "L.A. Gear" trademark.
(Forwarded by: Liu Jian)
                                ___ ___ ___

Alumni Association of East China University of Science and Technology
(ECUST, formerly East China University of Chemical Technology) was formed
after the board of directors was elected on the 5th of September, 1993
through the email ballot. The first email board meeting elected Xu, Jianguo
of Class 1977 (Lian 1 or Petroleum Refining Class 1 of 1977) as the
President of the association, Zhang, Weiguo of Class 1977 (Gang 70, or
Photochemistry 1977) the Vice President, Hu, Xiaodong of Graduate 1982
(Yian 20, Graduate 1982) and Wang, Ying of Class 1978 (Gong 80, or Chemical
Engineering 1978) as the Secretaries. The interested alumni please send
Email to:  [email-masked] (Zhang, Weiguo), or mail to: Dr. Jianguo Xu,
8121 White Birch Circle, Fogelsville, Pa 18051).
(From: Jianguo Xu <[email-masked]>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. China Sidesteps U.S. Accusations of Upcoming Nuclear Test .............42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded By: A CND Reader
Source: UPI, 9/18/1993

BEIJING (UPI) -- China on Saturday sidestepped U.S. accusations that
it soon will detonate a nuclear weapon in an undergound test, saying
only that its weapon testing program is "restrained."

"It is known by all that China has consistently adopted a very restrained
attitude toward the question of nuclear testing," the Foreign Ministry said
in a terse one-sentence statement.

The U.S. government asserted Friday that Beijing lowered a nuclear warhead
into its detonation site in remote western China desert in late July, and
said it had lodged two official protests since then with the Chinese
government.

President Bill Clinton called for a moratorium on all testing beginning in
1996, and all five major nuclear powers -- the United States, China,
Britain, France and Russia -- indicated they would abide by its principles.

But China's vague statement Saturday virtually confirmed Washington's
assertion that it will go forward with the test, which according to U.S.
satellite photographs will occur at China's usual test site of Lop Nor,
in western China's Xinjiang province.

If China detonates its nuclear warhead as planned, it would be the first
time in more than a year that either Washington or Beijing had carried out
a nuclear test, and would indicate that strong diplomatic pressure by the
United States and unnamed other nations had failed to sway Beijing.

"We've been trying for several weeks at very senior levels to dissuade
China from carrying out such a test," U.S. State Department spokesman
Michael McCurry said Friday. "The environment for negotiating a
comprehensive test ban would be much stronger if other nations observed a
moratorium on testing."

The nuclear issue, coupled with China's poor record on human rights and
weapons proliferation, also was seen as possibly hurting Beijing's bid to
host the Olympic Games in the year 2000. China has invested heavily in its
bid for host city, which Olympic officials were scheduled to decide Sept. 23.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. High-Ranking Government Religious Affairs Delegation Arrives in U.S. ..52
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded By: Jian Liu
Source: PR NEWSWIRE, 9/20/1993

SUMNER, Wash. -- The highest-ranking delegation of Chinese government
religious affairs leaders to ever visit the United States since the founding
of the People's Republic of China (PRC) arrived in Seattle, yesterday, to
begin an eight-city tour, Sept. 19 through Oct. 12, as guests of East Gates
Ministries International (EGMI), headed by Reverend Ned Graham, son of
evangelist Billy Graham.

"The purpose of our visit is to study the relationship between the
government of the United States and the Christian Church in America, to
observe religious activity in your country and to determine how the
Christian Church impacts society--both socially and spiritually," said
Zhang Sheng-zuo, Director of China's Religious Affairs Bureau upon arrival.

Following their return to China, the delegates will report to the highest
levels of authority at the Central Committee of the Communist Party of
China and in the Chinese government, headquartered in Beijing.

"It is our hope that their report will bring forth greater freedoms for all
Chinese Christians, as well as for those who observe other religions inside
that great country," said Rev. Ned Graham, president of EGMI.  "Of course
this, in turn, will also have a positive impact on the human rights issues
that have been so broadly publicized in recent years."

Dr. Han Wenzao, executive vice president of the China Christian Council,
indicated this was already taking place.  He said just before their
departure from Beijing the group learned that all clergy imprisoned for
their faith have just been released from prisons across China.  He further
emphasized that all Christians who have chosen to meet in their homes are
not being forced to register with the government.

An intensive itinerary has been planned including private meetings with
former Presidents Nixon and Bush.  The delegation will visit government
agencies and officials across the United States.

They will also have an opportunity to meet with leadership of Christian
ministries including Dr. and Mrs. Billy Graham at his Columbus, Ohio,
crusade.

Additional ministry visits will include The Salvation Army, American
Bible Society, Prison Fellowship, National Association of Evangelicals,
a home for unwed mothers and a Christian farming cooperative.

East Gates Ministries International is a Seattle-based ministry with a
three-fold purpose of bridge building, networking and equipping which is
ushering in a new era of reconciliation between China's official
Protestant church--the Three Self Patriotic Movement--and House Church
Christians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Panda Wars Heating up at San Francisco City Hall ......................26
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded By: A CND Reader
Source: UPI, 9/18/1993

Board of Supervisors President Angela Alioto, who has made no secret of her
ambitions to be mayor, leaves Saturday for a 10-day junket trip to China.
She hopes to bring back two panda cubs.

If she can succeed, Alioto will score points ahead the city's other major
panda hunter, Mayor Frank Jordan.

Both are running on what appears to be a panda platform foreshadowing their
campaigns for the 1995 mayoral election.

Jordan said Friday "there will be no pandas coming back" with his rival.

Jordan had his own panda negotiations with the Chinese during a trip there
in February. Those plans have been stalled while the city determines how to
finance a $1 million habitat for the pandas at the San Francisco Zoo.

If their efforts continue, Alioto and Jordan could lose popularity in at
least one area of the prospective voting population. Wildlife experts
question whether the animals should be taken from their natural habitat at
all, with their total numbers in China declining by more than one- third
since the 1970s.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. CSPA Information Exchange:
   Northern and Eastern Service Centers Start Sending Approvals ..........44
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: [email-masked]
Source: CCNL, 9/20/1993

Today, 9/20, I got approval notice from INS (northern center). I mailed my
application on 6/29 and my priority date is 7/1/93. The notice also lets me
wait approximately 6 months to get the manufactured "alian registration
card".
                                ___ ___ ___

>From: "JIE YUAN, CHEMISTRY, U. CINCINNATI" <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL, 9/20/1993

One friend of mine found that his wife's approval notice came today. They
applied at the same time and sent their applications in one package.  But
his approval is not here yet. The notice was dated 9-16-93, and post marked
9-17-93.

He called yesterday and received no information from the answering machine of
the INS Northern Center.  I called today but did not get through (busy line).
I am not sure if the machine is up.
                                ___ ___ ___

From: Yisheng Zheng <[email-masked]> 21-SEP-1993
Source: CCNL <[email-masked]>

A friend of mine call the Northern Center to check her status but got the
"status not available with this answering system" message. Then she was
connected with an INS officer.  She asked the INS officer what happened to
her case.  The INS officer is very nice and said that if you couldn't get a
answer from the answering system, you need to wait for written notice.

My friend then asked the officer whether it is possible to know how many
CSPA applications get approved.  The INS officer said she did not know. But
she said that with the limited resources available, things will have to go
very slowly.  She said that she would not be surprised if many cases can not
get approved before Sept. 30, 1993.
                                ___ ___ ___

>From: [email-masked]
Date: 9/20/1993

Actually, the Eastern Immigration and Natuarlization Service Center began to
send out approval notice no later than August 31. My son's notice was dated
Aug. 31, 1993.  However, I havn't got mine yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. IFCSS Updates Hu Liqun's Case, Calls for Further Support ..............40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ NR, 9/20/1993

On Aug. 26, IFCSS published on its e-mail network the story of Hu Liqun, a
student at Ball State University who has been fighting a tough battle
against discrimination. IFCSS also started an open letter campaign in
support of Hu Liqun. Up to now, about 800 individuals have signed the letter.
On Sept. 8, IFCSS President Lin Changsheng received a letter from
Dr. Beverley J. Pitts, associate provost at Ball State University. The
letter stated that Hu was not denied admission on the grounds of her
undergraduate score and complained that IFCSS acted without first obtaining
valid information from the university. On the same day, IFCSS Vice President
Shi Heping wrote back, asking for a copy of the conversion chart. But so
far, IFCSS has not received it. In fact, the campus student university
newspaper has also requested for the chart, but to no avail.

IFCSS strongly believes that Ms. Hu Liqun's case concerns every Chinese in
the United States and calls upon all our fellow students and scholars to
show your support. If you would like to help, please sign the attached open
letter by sending a mail to [email-masked]. Thank you.

Appendix: Open Letter

Dear ___

We are writing you in support of Ms. Liqun Hu's complaint against the
discrimination she suffered at Ball State University.

As students from China's Mainland, we can testify that Fu-Dan University is
one of the best universities in China and that to convert a GPA of 90.3 at
Fu-Dan University into 2.8 is utterly unjustified. Therefore, we demand that
proper measures be taken immediately to revoke such an unfair conversion
system. We also demand that Ms. Hu's applicatin to the Clinical Psychology
Department at Ball State University be reconsidered.

Your prompt attention to the case will be deeply appreciated.

(Signatures)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. The Questionair of IFCSS Survey on Parental Visits ....................44
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: IFCSS HQ, <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ NR, 9/16/93

[Editor's Note: Please refer to CND-US, September 18, 1993 issue for
                previous coverage of this subject.]

Please use the following address for returned questionnaires.
Mailing address:   Mr. Kai Hwang, 7800E Foxridge Apts., Blacksburg, VA 24060
E-mail address:    [email-masked]

                   Questionnaire on Parental Visits
                   ================================

Name_________________(first)__________________(last)
Telephone #____________________________________________________
Mailing Address________________________________________________
School or Company______________________________________________
Visa Status_________________________________(F-1, PR, etc.)

1. Have your parents ever applied for a visitor's visa?
     a) Yes    b) No

2. If yes, have they been denied?
     a) Yes    b) No

3. What was the primary purpose of their visit?
     a) To see their children
     b) To take care of their grandchildren
     c) Sightseeing
     d) To do business
     e) Other _______________________________

4. Have your parents(s) ever visited you in the U.S.?
     a) Yes    b) No

5. If yes, enter the dates of arrival and departure.
     a) Arrival________________(month/day/year)
     b) Departure______________(month/day/year)
     c) Expected date of departure_______________(month/day/year)
     d) Other__________________(no plan, will not return, etc.)

6. Are your parent(s) planning to visit you in the future?
     a) Yes    b)No

7. If yes, how long are they planning to stay in the U.S.?
     a) Less than one year
     b) One year or longer but less than three years
     c) Three years or longer but less than five years
     d) Five years or longer but will return to China eventually
     e) Permanently

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Chinese Community Forum (CCF) Publishes Issue #9304 ...................18
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Editor Board of CCF, <[email-masked]>, 9/22/93

1. Theme of the Issue: IFCSS: Today and Tomorrow (II)
 a. A History Making Conference (II)
    3. Working Committees and Contracted Projects ...........Yungui Ding 121
 b. Comments on IFCSS Budget Proposal ....................Zheng-Ping Chen 39
 c. IFCSS President's Reply to Zheng-Ping Chen's Mail .....Changsheng Lin 46
 d. Toward a Better Legislative Budgetary Oversight:
    A Response to "A History Making Conference (I)" .............Bai Yan 117
2. Community and Society:
 a. Chinese Publications Available Overseas ......................Jia Luo 13
 b. Report of the FCSSC Survey on Beijing's Olympic Bidding ........FCSSC 36
3. Betwee Reader and Editor
 a. Reader's Comment on CCF (3 items) ....................................29
 b. Reply of the CCF Editor Board ..................................EBCCF 35

(To subscribe: mail "SUB CHINA-NT First-Name Last-Name" to LISTSERV@UGA
(bitnet) or [email-masked] (internet); For back issues of CCF:
anonymous ftp to cnd.org[132.249.229.100]:pub/community/CCF; For contribution
and inquiry: mail to [email-masked])

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|               Editor of This Issue: Sifeng Ma                            |
|               Coordinating Editor:  Yungui Ding                          |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+