Subject: CND-US, September 28, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 00:14:04 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                        Tuesday, September 28, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (5 Items) ................................................ 48
2. Demography of Minoirities in the U.S.:
       Minorities will Dominate by the Middle of Next Century ........... 42
3. APTSJW Sends Open Letter, Urging Japan to Pay Reparation ............ 100
4. Job Opportunities in Food Science, Nutrition and Microbiology ........ 41

                         CSPA Information Exchange
                         -------------------------
5. IFCSS HQ Update on the CSPA Approval ................................. 35
6. Q&A: Is There Any Time Window for Later Arrived Dependents ........... 53
7. CSPA Updates From Networks (3 items) ................................. 42
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (5 Items) ................................................ 48
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chinese Student and Scholar Association at the University of Texas at Austin
is going to held a Moon party at Texas Union on Friday, October 1, 1993.
The party will include a new student get-together at Asian Culture Room from
7:00-8:00PM, where snackers, chips, donuts and drinks will be provided, and
a dancing party at Ball Room from 8:00PM to midnight. A dancing teacher is
also available from 7:00 to 8:00PM at Ball Room.  Everybody is welcome.
(From: Qing Fang <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

[CSSAP at UPenn, 9/27/1993] A new scholarship is open to Chinese citizens
who are graduates of one of the four Jiaotong Universities. The scholarship,
named Laurence Za Yu Moh Scholarship, covers tuition, living and travel
expenses for the two-year MBA program at Wharton conditioned on return to
China upon completion of the MBA degree. This Fall, two scholarship winners,
who came from China directly, have begun their studies at Wharton. Contact
Wharton graduate division for more information.
(From: [email-masked])
                                ___ ___ ___

[SCC, 9/26/93] We invite you to join the Cambridge Chinese Choral Society.
We explore a variety of music literature in various languages. We sing songs
ranging from Mandarin art songs to Taiwanese folk songs, contemporary
English songs to excerpts from musicals, and everything in between. Members
do not need to have experience, just the willingness to participate and learn
and have fun! We meet every Friday evening, 7:30-10:00 in room 2-190 at M.I.T.
If there are any questions, please contact Jocelyn Nee (617)225-6377 (M.I.T.),
Jerry Chou (617)277-7428 (Emerson), Le-ju Sheng (617)739-1714 (B.U.). If
interested in accompanying (on piano) or conducting, please also contact us.
(From: le-ju sheng <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

[AP, 9/23/1993] San Diego -- They were hoping for pandamania, but a federal
agency's veto of a plan to import two of the endangered animals has left San
Diego Zoo officials pondering a $1 million exhibit area that now holds only
stuffed pandas. The zoo wanted to bring Shi Shi, a male, and Shun Shun, a
female, to San Diego for at least three years. Both pandas were captured in
March 1992. The zoo said the animals were taken into captivity because they
were seriously injured or ill. In exchange for the pandas, the zoo was to
pay the Chinese government $1 million a year. China said the money would go
toward preserving panda habitat.
(Forwarded by: Daluo Jia <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

[UCLA Today, 9/23/1993] "Senso Daughters"(Japan, 1991), an investigative
documentary film, will be shown at the Film and Television Archive's
Human Rights Watch Film Festival, which opens Oct. 1. The film reconstructs
what happened during World War II to the 90,000 "comfort girls," shipped as
"military commodities" to serve as prostitutes for Japanese troops in
New Guinea. It will screen 2pm on Oct. 10. (Forward by: Sifeng Ma)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Demography of Minoirities in the U.S.:
       Minorities will Dominate by the Middle of Next Century ........... 42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Zhai Nanbin <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/24/1993

According to the 1990 US Census and the population projection based on the
latest census, today's minorities in the US will comprise nearly one-half
of all Americans by the middle of next century. These demographic changes
have significant social and political implications and will change the image
of the US from a predominately white population rooted in Western culture to
a society composed of diverse racial and ethnic minorities. The 1990 Census
revealed that balcks were 12 percent of the US total population, Hispanics
accounted for 9 percent and Asian and Pacific Ilanders made up only 4
percent. However, Hispanics and Asians are the two fastest growing groups,
each averaging 65 and 123.5 percent of changes between 1980 and 1992,
compared to 5.5 percent of growth for non-Hispanic whites and 12.5 percent
of growth for the US as a whole for the same period of time. The following
table presents the changes of the six major Asian American groups from 1980
to 1990.

Asian origin      Population (in thousand)    Change 1980-90
               1980              1990             percent

Chinese         806             1,645               104
Filipino        775             1,407                82
Japanese        701               848                21
Asian Indian    362               815               126
Koreans         355               799               125
Vietnamese      262               615               135

The Japanese have the lowest immigration speed in the last decade, while
Vietnamese, Indians and Koreans were Americanised much faster. With
rencent immigration of nearly 60,000 (?) Chinese students and their
dependents covered under the CSPA, Chinese "immigation rate" will soar in
the next census count in year 2000. However, it is believed that, as in the
case of the Japanese, with the gradual but stimulating changes and increase
of the economic status of China and the improved living standard in the
country of our origin, less Chinese will be struggling to stay and live in
the US by the next century. (Data Source: US Bureau of Census)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. APTSJW Sends Open Letter, Urging Japan to Pay Reparation ............ 100
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Ignatius Ding <[email-masked]>
Source: APTSJW Press Release, 9/27/1993

Eugene Wei, a member of the Board of Directors of Alliance for Preserving
the Truth of Sino-Japanese War (APTSJW), has accepted the appointment to the
position of APTSJW President by the full Board, effective immediately.  His
first action, as the chief executive of the non-profit educational
organization, is sending an open letter to the Japanese Prime Minister,
Morihiro Kosokawa, who is visiting the United States this week for the first
time since his inauguration in August.

In the letter, Wei provides several APTSJW key recommendations to Prime
Minister Hosokawa, including urging the Japanese government to offer written
apology and reparation for the war crimes that the Japanese Imperial Military
Forces committed during its genocidal invasion of China and other Asian
nations.
                                ___ ___ ___

The Honorable Morihiro Kosokawa San
c/o the Japanese Ambassador to the United States
2520 Massachusettes Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.     20008
                                              September 27, 1993

Dear Prime Minister,

On behalf of Alliance for Preserving the Truth of Sino-Japanese War(APTSJW),
I like to welcome you to the United States of America for the first time as
the Prime Minister of Japan.  Your visit will mark the beginning of a new
era between the American and Japanese peoples.  It surely will offer you an
opportunity to present to our nation your administration s vision and goals
guiding Japan in a new direction in the years to come.

APTSJW has written to you upon your personal and collective victory in the
parliament election and the formation of your coalition government, and
expressed our appreciation of your sincere and first-time-ever apology for
the war crimes which the Japanese Imperial Military Forces committed during
its deadly invasion of China and other Asian nations.

Please note that APTSJW's goal is not to open the old wounds.  "An eye for
eye, a tooth for tooth" would merely bring vicious cycles of ethnic hatred
and atrocities.  Your demonstrated wisdom and character in seeking true
conciliation with former foes have opened a new avenue for establishing
mutually beneficial partnership with neighboring countries for economic
development and peace initiative.

In our August letter, we have informed you that our mission is to research
and preserve the true history of the part of World War II having happened in
China.  APTSJW is set out to educate the public the cruelty of such regional
conflict and its destructive nature.  We sincerely hope that public
awareness will help maintain peace in East Asia. We have also pledged to
provide your administration with a set of recommendations to further mend
the old injuries.

We strongly recommend that Japanese government declassifies and makes
available all materials in its archive related to its invasions, and assists
historians and researchers to document the true history.  Japanese
government must correct altered contents of its history textbooks, and
educate its own population of the facts.  Your citizenry, as well as the
rest of the world, deserves to know the truth of Japan s past misdeed.

Furthermore, APTSJW urges the Japanese government to take the following
actions:

- offers written apology to the people in all Asian nations invaded and
  brutalized by the Japanese aggressions, especially the Chinese people
  who lost at least 15 million lives in the conflict between 1931 and 1945.

- assists historians to research, document or correct history, including
  funding publication and documentary movies of the Japanese aggressions.

- builds monuments in memory of innocent civilians of other nations killed
  or injured by the Japanese Imperial Military Forces.

- pays adequate reparation to the victimized individuals or their families
  for their loss of lives and/or properties.

Once again, we wish to express our condolences to the World War II victims
in Japan.  We hope that the Japanese people will finally realize that they
have actually lost their loved ones to the fatal ambition of the
militaristic extremists in their own government instead of blaming the
Chinese forces defending their homeland or the atomic bombs dropped in
Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the Americans.

We look forward to hearing from you.  Please let us know if we can offer
any assistance.  We wish you and your administration success.

                                    Truly yours,

                                    (Signed)
                                    Eugene Wei
                                    APTSJW President

cc:  Japanese Consulate General, San Francisco
     International News Media

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Job Opportunities in Food Science, Nutrition and Microbiology ........ 41
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Hong Chen <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL, 9/26/1993

The Department of Food Science/Human Nutrition and Microbiology at Michigan
State University are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate.  This
position is open immediately to study, (1) the role of signal transduction
in regulation of cell differentiation in the filamentous fungus Mucor
recemosus; (2) the genetics and regulation of aflatoxin biosynthesis in
Aspergillus parasiticus. Applicants should have received a Ph.D. degree in
Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Physiology, Molecular Biology, Botany,
or related field and have a strong background in protein biochemistry.
Experience in development and use of monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies in
protein detection and purification is preferred.  Salary is negotiable and
commensurate with experience and qualification.  Please send curriculum
vitae, seledted reprints and the names of three references to Dr. John E.
Linz, Department of Food Science/Human Nutrition, 234B Food Science
Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
                                ___ ___ ___

The Department of Food Science/Human Nutrition and Microbiology at Michigan
State University are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate.  This
position is open immediately to investigate the effects of naturally
occurring fungal toxins (trichothecenes) on T cell-mediated regulation of B
cell switching, proliferation and differentiation at the level of
gastrointestinal immune system (see Fundam. Appl. Toxicol. 20:38; Toxicol.
Appl. Pharm. 108:520). Current NIEHS-funded research program focuses on
molecular basis for toxin-induced superinduction of T helper cytokines and
employs both in vitro and in vivo models.  Ph.D. in Toxicology, Immunology,
Pathology, Microbiology or equivalent is required.  Experience in molecular
biology is also required including mammalian cell culture, ELISA,
immunohistochemistry, Northern and Western blot techniques, RNase
protection, PCR and/or in situ hybridization. Salary is negotiable and
commensurate with experience and qualfication. Applications due on Oct. 30,
1993 or until position is filled.  Please send curriculum vitae, selected
reprints and three references to Dr. James J. Pestka, Departmant of Food
Science & Human Nutrition, 234 G.M. Trout Building, Michigan State
University, East Lansing, MI 48824.  Tel: (517)353-1709, Fax: (517)353-8963.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. IFCSS HQ Update on the CSPA Approval ................................. 35
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ News Release 5062, 9/27/1993

Today, Shi Heping, IFCSS V.P., called INS Headquarters and obtained the
following update information:

          Applications Received         Applications Approved
N. Center      11,531                        7,738
W. Center      10,509                        1,272
E. Center      22,456                       10,811
S. Center       8,156                        6,920

The service centers have been working overtime and at weekends. INS is
optimistic about using up the 45,000 numbers by the end of this month.

_From February when we first met with INS, we have been trying every way
possible to ensure that we will be able to use up the 45,000 numbers. We
will continue to monitor the situation closely until the last eligible
person has got his application approved. Meanwhile, we wish to emphasize
that it is not our ultimate goal to get green cards; IFCSS has a long way
to go in protecting your interests and promoting human rights in China. It
is your duty to continue to support the organization. If you want to make a
donation to IFCSS, you can send it to the familiar address. You are also
encouraged to contribute to IFCSS June 4th Foundation. If each of us
donates $10 to the foundation, we will have over $400,000 for the victims of
the June 4th. Remember some have been permanently disabled and many have
been sentenced to as long as 20 years. Imagine what a life they would be
living without our help. You can make a difference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Q&A: Is There Any Time Window for Later Arrived Dependents ........... 53
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Mi Mi <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL, 9/26/1993

Q: Is there any time windows for lads?

A: It depends what category you are talking about, and what kind of lads you
are dealing with.

For EB-3, there is a time window. Unless the priority date for this
particular month is current, or the priority date is later than your own
priority date, you can not apply. Since September's priority date is current,
so every CSPA principal can apply EB-3 for their lads. Next month, however,
the priority date has rolled back to July 1. So if your priority date is,
say, August 1, then you must wait in August. So it is highly recommendated
you file ASAP in September.

For FB-2, there is no time window. Once you get your approval notice, you
can apply for your lads. The date INS receives your application, is the
priority date for your lads. So it is highly recommendated you file ASAP
once you receive your approval notice.

For lads in US, we have DED and Non-DED lads. DED lads problem has not been
fully solved. Some INS local offices accept DED lads application, some do
not. This is quite compicated. For Non-DED, you can file in September,
since it is current. For those principals with approval notices saying their
priority date is July 1, Mi Mi believes they can still file in October. But
if there is no particular reason to wait a while, why not do it NOW? You are
not required to submit a complete package when you file.

For lads in China, it is different. You can file I-824 for them once you get
your approval notice. But who knows how long they have to wait inside China
to be granted a visa? If you managed to obtain nonimmigration visas for them,
just let them come here. If the EB-3 window is open, apply for EB-3 for them.
If it is closed, then apply FB-2. Actually you can file both simultaneously.
It does not hurt (except your wallet).

Our world quota campaign, can save lads in many ways. It can cut off the
waiting time both in China and in U.S., and save China's quotas for
late-arriving-students. Since there is no ceiling for us (the projected
25,000 for 1994 was totally groundless, according to the telephone
conversation between Mi Mi and IFCSS HQ official), it is quite possible
a huge chunk of 94's world-wide EB-3 will be wasted. So the chance for us is
quite good: since we are not hurting anybody by using that leftover up, we
will not have much resistance. The only problem is, how we can organize
ourselvs and launch a successful campaign to grasp that opportunity. Think
about this!

Mi Mi Sr.
Member of Lads-Net Committee

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. CSPA Updates From Networks (3 items) ................................. 42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Ming Tang <[email-masked]>
Source: CSS List at UIUC, 9/26/1993

I received my approval notice from INS Northern Service Center yesterday
(Saturday). The notice was dated on Sept. 22 and shows a priority date of
July 1, 1993. I sent out my application on June 29, and received a notice
(the notice date shown is July 2, 1993) two weeks later on July 15 informing
me to go to local INS office for processing I89 form. Nothing is new in the
context of the approval notice. It informs me to go to local INS office for
final processing so that their factory can make the new alien registration
card for me. Since many people received approval notice, but are not required
for the final processing. I am not quite sure what I am going to do in the
processing. Does the final processing serve as some kind of interview or
just a trivial procedure? Hopefully, we can figure out it soon.
                                ___ ___ ___

_From: James Jia <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL net, 9/27/93

Many CSPA applicants around Chicago area have received their approval
notices from the INS Northern Service Center.  Some of them are requested
to go to local INS to do their final processing before their Green Cards can
be manufactured.  But, on their approval notice, the room number of Chicago
INS is incorrect. There is no room 333.  It should be room 323! Remenber it.

I was there. It was a three hour waiting and one minute processing. One more
I-89 was processed (I did one two months ago).  I was requested another two
photos. I asked why I need to do the final I-89 processing second time. The
INS officer said he does not know. He needs only to send I-89 out and to see
what will happen. Good luck every one.
                                ___ ___ ___

_From: <[email-masked]>

I had an experience which I'd like to share with CND readers. In the middle
of Sept, I called INS Eastern Service Center about my application status,
the answer in the answering machine was that my I-485 form had been returned
to me for additional information on Aug. 5. Since It's already been over one
months, so, I called the INS and talked to a guy there. The answer was that
the recorded message was wrong. And more, I got my approval notice just several
days ago and the recorded message was still the same now. So, cheer up, maybe,
your letter is on the way.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|               Editor of This Issue: Sifeng Ma                            |
|                Coordinating Editor: Yungui Ding                          |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+