Subject: CND-US, October 23, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1993 00:19:15 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                         Saturday, October 23, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                  # of Line
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (3 Items) ................................................ 31
2. Chinese Student Killed -- Help Sought for Family ..................... 30
3. Department of Labor Publishes Proposed H-1B Rule ..................... 41
4. Supplementary Documentation for H Visa Holders Entering U.S. ......... 35
5. IFCSS Update on CSPA ................................................. 25
6. Chinese Community Forum (CCF) Publishes Two Issues ................... 17
7. Reader's Comment --
        on CNN's Special Report on Chinese Illegal Immigrants .......... 100
8. Job Opportunities (10 items) ........................................ 192
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (3 Items) ................................................ 31
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IFCSS-HQ NR No.  5069, 10/21/1993] On the Chinese Moon Festival Weekend,
the IFCSS HQ started a donation drive among the CSPA beneficiaries to (see
IFCSS News Release No. 5065). We hope that each would donate $20 to IFCSS:
half the money will go to June 4th victims and the other half will cover the
operating cost of the IFCSS (or you can specify where your donation will go).
We are grateful that 332 people have responded to our call. Your support will
make great difference for those victims in China and for our CSS community in
the U.S. Again, your donation is tax deductible. You may make your check or
money order payable to the IFCSS, and send it to: IFCSS, 733 15th Street, NW,
Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005. (From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

[IFCSS HQ NR # 5070] The IFCSS HQ receives an invitation from Taiwan's China
Reunification Alliance (sanmin zhuyi tongyi zhongguo da tongmeng) to
organize an IFCSS delegation to visit Taiwan in mid February. The delegation
will meet with people in Taiwan's government administration, education
institutions and economic organizations, and visit some urban and rural
communities from February 16 to March 2, 1993 (dates subject to change). The
delegation will be made up of 30 people in maximum. The members of the IFCSS
Supervisory Committee, the Council, Working Committee chairs, key project
coordinators, local CSS organization leaders and activists are eligible to
apply. The IFCSS HQ encourages you to participate in the trip, but no one
can guarantee that your application will be automatically approved.
(From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

A conference on Taiwan's re-entry to the United Nations will be held at the
Chinese Cultural Center of Chicago (750 Pasquinelli Dr.Westmont, IL 60559)
(Tel: 708-323-2440) on Oct 23, 1993, at 3:00-5:00 pm.  It is an open forum.
You are invited to attend. This conference is organized by the R.O.C. for U.
N. Committee in Mid-America. IRGINIA.EDU>) (From: Qingsong Zhang)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Chinese Student Killed -- Help Sought for Family ...................... 30
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Craig Dietrich <[email-masked]>  10/21/93

Wang Bi, a master's candidate at the University of Southern Maine in
Portland, Maine, was fatally shot on October 10.

Her assailant was a former USM student, originally from New Delhi, India,
whohad left Portland to enter a graduate program in Virginia.  He and Wang
Bi had been friends for over a year.  After killing her, he took his own
life. Although he left a suicide n ote, it did not mention her, and
investigators have not been able to determine why he took her life as well.

Wang Bi was a native of Tianjin and a graduate of the Institute of
Mathematics at Nankai University.  She had also worked as a computer
programer for the Central Bank of China before coming to the United States
two years ago.  Her wish was to earn a PhD and return to China to do
research work at the Central Bank.

Wang Bi's family are shocked and grieved.  Her mother and brother will
travel to Portland to oversee final arrangements.  However their travel and
the costs of cremation, etc. far exceed what they can afford.  CAFAM (the
Chinese and American Friendship Assoc iation of Maine, a non-partisan,
non-profitsociety of Americans and Chinese dedicated to Sino-American
understanding) isorganizing an effort to assist Wang Bi's family.

Any donation, however small, will be gratefully received. Contributions may
be made out to "CAFAM Wang Bi Fund" and sent to Treasurer, CAFAM, 451Blacks
trap Road, Falmouth, ME 04105. Or communications may be sent to Craig
Dietrich, Professor of History, USM. The E-Mail address is
[email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Department of Labor Publishes Proposed H-1B Rule ..................... 41
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Bo Xiong
Source: NAFSA Central Office, 10/18/93

The Department of Labor (DOL) published, in the Federal Register on October
6, a proposed regulation to amend the labor condition application (LCA)
process for the H-1B nonimmigrant category. Among other things, the
proposed rule would: (1) reduce the validi ty period of the LCA from six
years tothree; (2) require employers to update prevailing wage information
every 18 months (instead of 24); (3) require employers to identify on the
LCA the applicable wage rate and source of information; and (4) authorize
the Labor Department to investigate employer compliance.

The proposed rule was published as an effort to further tighten the H-1B
category.  DOL is responding in part to recent press and political attention
on immigration issues. Comments on the proposal are due by November 5, 1993.
Band should be sent to: John R. Fraser, Acting Assistant Secretary,
Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue NW, Room S3510, Washington,
DC 20210.

The DOL proposal is only one of three major initiatives to be proposed this
fall.  The other two will prove to be far more serious obstacles to
overcome. The first is a plan to change the way in which prevailing wage
determinations are made nationwide.  At present, Labor feels that their
offices are not making determinations in a uniform way and that the level
of specificity in job classifications is too great.  To counteract this,
DOL is likely to broaden job classifications -- in essence, a professor or
English and a professor of biochemistry would have the same prevailing
wage.  This would force universities to go elsewhere for wage determinations
while at the sametime open themselves up to investigation by DOL (since SESA
is the only safeharbor).  The third initiative involves legislation on
Capitol Hill. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich has asked Congress to make
amendments to the H-1B law which would require employers to attest that
(1) they are taking timely and significant steps designed to develop,
recruit, and retain asufficient supply of U.S. workers, and (2) they had not
in the last year laidoff or knowingly displaced any U.S. worker in the field
in which the H-1B is hired.  NAFSA is extremely concerned about all three of
these initiatives and will be contacting Congress for legislative relief
(most likely a separate nonimmigrant category for academic institutions). To
help you with your letters to DOL and to Congress (because we'll need you to
write), a more detailed alert with our comments will be distributed over
Inter next week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Supplementary Documentation for H Visa Holders Entering U.S. ......... 35
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Bo Xiong
Source: Doug Mollenauer, NAFSA Central Office, October 21, 1993

On October 7, 1993 NAFSA's Government Regulations Advisory Committee (GRAC)
met with officials from the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the Department of
State. This discussion produced important information pertaining to the
materials which are necessary to process H-1B visa applications at the
consular posts, both for applicants making an initial entry and for those
requiring visa renewal.

In order to expedite processing, the Department of State now advises
applicants for an H-1B visa to provide consular officials with a copy of
their Labor Condition Application (LCA) and Form I-129 (petition for H
classification). These documents should be stapled to an original Form I-797
(Notice of Approval or Extension of Nonimmigrant Visa Petition). Note that
there is a discrepancy between DOS and INS instructions regarding which
I-797, the original or the copy, should be sent to the consular post. This
conflict will soon be resolved by the introduction of a new I-797 that
provides originals for both employer and employee.

For visa renewals, the State Department also suggests that an applicant
carry a letter from his or her employer stating the applicant returns for
continuing employment.

You will notice the use of the words "advises" and "suggests." The State
Department has not (yet) made the additional documentation for H-1B
applications a requirement.  The underlying rationale for these
"recommendations" is to allow consular officials to compare LCA's and
I-129 petitions in order to determine applicants' actual place of
prospective employment.

Further background information may be found in a State Department cable that
is reprinted in the October 8, 1993 issue of Interpreter Releases on page
1330.  The cable itself was issued to all diplomatic and consular posts on
September 30, 1993.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. IFCSS Update on CSPA ................................................. 25
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 10/21/93

The IFCSS HQ has contacted the INS HQ and State Department. The following in
formation is obtained for your reference.

1.  By the end of September 30, 1993 (the last day of 1993 fiscal year for
visa numbers), there were 54,224 CSPA applications filed at the four
centers, and among them 42,108 applications were proved by the
aforementioned date.  All of left-over visa numbers from world-wide quota
were used up.

2.   As beginning on October 1, 1993, the four centers continue to process
SPA applications using world-wide quota immediately available on the aboved
ate for the following fiscal year (1993/94).

3.  According to the Immigration Visa Control Reporting Division of the
State Department, there were approximately 500 visa numbers (of the 1993/94
fiscal year) issued to the CSPA applicants since October 1. During the last
few days, the State Department is sued only a few visa numbers each day
inaverage to the Northern, Eastern and Southern Centers respectively, but
around 50 visa numbers to the Western Center.

The IFCSS HQ will keep monitoring the event, and will provide you with the
latest information on the matter. We welcome your support and critique for
our work, and will continue to work for you and the CSS community.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Chinese Community Forum (CCF) Publishes Two Issues ................... 17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Weihe Guan, EBCCF, 10/20/93

Chinese Community Forum (CCF) published two recent issues continuously
focused on the new Russian revolution. Five articles reviewed from different
angles the changing situation in Russia, and analyzed the impact of the
crisis to Russia, China and the world. Intersting points were presented on
the understanding of reform and power struggle, of democracy and national
interests.

Another theme of the last Wednesday's CCF (No.9308) was IFCSS and local
CSSA. An analysis of the IFCSS's accountability and a description of a local
Chinese student association touched the most concerned issue of the
relationship between the IFCSS organization and its constituents.

Interested readers may subscribe to CCF by sending "SUB CHINA-NT first_name
last_name" to [email-masked]. Back issues of CCF is available by
anonymous ftp at cnd.org[132.249.229.100]:pub/community/CCF. Contributions
shall be directed to the Editorial Board of CCF <[email-masked]>.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Reader's Comment --
        on CNN's Special Report on Chinese Illegal Immigrants ........... 100
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: <***@***.***.EDU>, 10/18/93

Dear CND Editors:

I am writing to you with regard to CNN Moneyline's special series of reports
on the so-called illegal Chinese immigrants.  As one Chinese who has been
translating for the attorneys and visiting the refugees from the Golden
Venture since June when they first arrived, I am deeply disturbed by the
tone of the CNN report and would like to share with your readers my concerns
and reflections on this whole issue of "illegal aliens" from Fujiang Province.

I am disturbed by the CNN special report because CNN has singled out Chinese
and came down hard on them.  As a matter of fact, according to the New York
Time's recent survey, undocumented Chinese only rank number 13 in New York
City(where Chinese concentrate).  There are a lot more "illegal aliens" are
Italians, Israelis, Poles and some folks from Central and South America, and
they don't seem to bother CNN!  CNN has skipped the heavy offenders that are
white people or with politic al influence or both to come down hard on
Chinese, and this is not acceptable to the Chinese.  This is called
selectively applying the law and it ought to be stopped.

We should be for enforcing the laws, but we should not be for selectively
enforcing the immigration laws.  When the government, some members of
Congress and the media are singling out the Chinese while trying to help
with our tax dollars the over 20,000 illegal aliens in Boston area who are
white,we need to stand up and say "NO" to the government. Chinese were
excluded bythe U.S. government and the Congress for many many years on
ethnic and racialgrounds. Chinese in early days of this country were
attacked and killed indroves by mobs in this country.  All of the above
reasons accounts for thefact that Chinese only constitute 3% of the
population here.

We don't want to a revival of it, not even an indication of it!  It is time
to say enough is enough.  I am also disturbed by the CNN report because they
have completely rejected their grounds for asylum as if all the stories were
bogusand pre-coached.  It is not so.  Once you have talked to several of the
Golden Venture Survivors, you will know that each case is different. We have
in York County die-hard  republicans who were previously opposed to such
refugees and then completely changed their minds after they have had the
chance to talk to the refugees and are now convinced that they should be
allowed to stay.

And please do not think that if the vehicle is wrong, then the passengers
are bad, too.  The mere fact that some of the student leaders of the 89
Democracy Movement were resuced and shipped out the country with the help of
the so called "organized groups in Hong Kong" does not mean that the student
leaders are gang members and do not have credible stories. Jan Ting, Temple
University law professor and former assitant commissioner of the INS, puts
it very well in his article in Washington Post that "Many Chinese Americans
owe their residence and citizenship in this country to ancestors who defied,
ignored or circumvented discriminatory immigration laws.  Some owe their
residence and citizenship directly to the skills and savvy of a previous
generation of aliens smugglers.  As it enforces our immigration laws, the
INS must be sensitive to the long history of our government's discrimination
against Asian and particularly Chinese immigrants." In addition to what
professor Ting said, I might state that the current INS laws are still
unfair as a country of 1.2 billion people has a quota of 20,000 immigrants
per year as is the country of Denmark which has merely several million
people.  The idea is to keep the "undesired immigrants' out of the country
as much as possible and we must learn to say no to this.

It is unfortunate that the American public is ill-infomred on this issue and
it is therefore the responsibility and obligation of us Chinese in this
country to set the facts straight and tell them that not all the guys are
bad.  This is a country of law, and therefore we should let the law work,
not the will and whim of a few politicians who base their policies on the
mood and sentiment of the public rather than principles.  It has been
historically established that whenever the economy is down, the public
will slam the immigrants, and this time is no excpetion.  The problem is
that, this time, they are making the Chinese immigrants responsible for all
their economic ills while ignoring the contribution the Chinese have made
to this country.  The CNN report has also failed to mention the fact that
the INS has not given the Golden Venture passengers fair trials.  All the
cases were rushed, prejudged and scandalous, facts that are well documented.
The laywers have all appealed on the above stated grounds. The battle is
fare a weak political voice. Chinese traditinally do not have a strong
voting record and therefore can afford to be offended in the minds of many.
The Israels and the Poles and Italians have stronger political voices
locally and nationally and are therefore are safe from the media attacks.
We as an ethnic group in this country ought to be aware of it and try to
change this.  If not, we willcontinue to be "Chinaman" and be bullied,
slighted, belittled and marginalized.

I would urge you, as Chinese, to voice your concern and protest against the
slanted, biased and one-sided coverage of the Chinese refugees by CNN.
Please use whatever media and method you can to tell the media to stop the
crap against the Chinese.  Please don't take it as a problem of the Fujiang
Chinese or other Chinese.  When they say Chinese, they mean you, too.  If
you allow them to single them today, they will single you out tomorrow. The
fact that one Chinese student in Lexington, Kentucky was yelled at and told
to "Go back to China" is indication enough that the backlash is so strong
that if wedon't take action now, we are inviting more attacks against us.
We have no one else to protect our interest and reputation other than
ourselves.

The IFCSS as a national organization for Chinese students should not look
on when all the unevenhanded enforcement of immigration laws and media
attack are going on.  It should take a position and let the media and all
parties concerned that we will not accept such biased approaches.  Other
Chinese organizations and national leaders ought to speak out against this.
It is time to take action before it gets any worse.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Job Opportunities (10 items) ........................................ 192
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1. Assistant Professor in Biology in Maryland
  From: Bill Williams <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

The Department of Biology at St. Mary's College of Maryland, a small public,
liberal arts honors college, is seeking a tenure track assistant professor
beginning August, 1994.  Candidates must have completed a Ph.D. in cell
biology or biology with demonstrated proficiency in cell biology and have
research experience in cell or membrane biology.  Successful candidates will
be expected to participate in teaching Genetics or Principles of Biology for
majors, an upper division course in Cell Biology, and Contemporary
Bioscience for non-majors, as well as establish a research program involving
undergraduate students.  Review of applications will begin November 1, 1993
and continue until the position is filled.  Applicants should send
curriculum vitae, a statement of their teaching philosophy and future
research plans, unofficial transcripts, and three letters of reference to:
William E. Williams, Chair, Department of Biology, St. Mary's College of
Maryland, St. Mary's City, MD 20686.
                                ___ ___ ___

#2. Assistant Protein Specialist
  From: <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

Oklahoma State University is seeking an individual to serve as an Assistant
Protein Specialist in the Sarkeys Biotechnology Research Laboratory.  The
successful candidate will be responsible for the development and
dissemination of protein technologies within the laboratory.  The individual
will be expected to develop workshops and train research personnel in the
isolation and characterization of protein and computer-aided molecular
modeling.  The individual will also direct technical personnel.

Candidates should hold a Ph.D. in biochemistry, biology, molecular biology,
genetics, or related areas and have wide experience in protein isolation,
purification, and characterization techniques. Candidates with experience
utilizing modern approaches to investigate protein structure/function are
particularly desired.  This is an 11-month non-tenure track faculty-level
position initially supported for two years with excellent potential for
continuation beyond that period. Consideration of applicants will begin
December 1. Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae, a short
description of their research interests, and three letters of
recommendation to: Dr. James B.Blair, Department of Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078-0454.
Telephone: 405-744-6189.
                                ___ ___ ___

#3. Assistant Professor in Psychology in Massechussettes
  From: Kathleen Morgan <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

Wheaton College seeks an assistant professor committed to both teaching and
research for a two-year, renewable, tenure-track appointment beginning in
Fall, 1994.  A completed doctorate and previous undergraduate teaching
experience are required.  The position entails teaching six courses a year,
including social, introductory, and methods, along with other areas of
interest (e.g., minority issues, cross-cultural psychology, industrial/
organizational).

Send vita, graduate transcript, and three letters of recommendation by
January 20, 1994 to: Search Committee, Department of Psychology, Wheaton
College, Norton, MA  02766.
                                ___ ___ ___

#4. Network Technician in Massechussettes
  From: Tony Zaritheny <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

Our research efforts are computationally driven, therefore we are seeking a
highly motivated individual to be responsible for our evolving network of
SUN Solaris 2.2 systems.  Responsibilities will include operating system
upgrades, robust backup/disaster recovery plan, and configuring new devices.
You will work closely with our managers and scientists to obtain, install,
and maintain software packages, as well as, set up and support new users.
Additional duties will include:
    - Coordinate equipement repairs with vendor field service
    - Liason to NEARnet/coordinate existing Internet connection
    - Provide systems programming support; scripts, etc.
    - Install new equipemnt and network connections
    - Maintain high degree of awareness of new technologies
Familiarity with AppleTalk networking principles, Apple Macintosh, and
MicroSoft Mail Serer is desirable.

Please FAX or send your CV to: Millennium, Inc., Human Resouces, One Kendall
Square, Building 600E, Cambridge, MA 02139, Fax: 617-374-9379.
                                ___ ___ ___

#5. Doctoral Candidates in Biomedical Engineering
  From: Y. S. Prakash <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

The School of Biomedical Engineering is looking for bright committed and
enthusiatic doctoral candidates for faculty positions in the School.  The
broad areas of research interest to the School are: Bioinstrumentation,
Biomaterials and Physiological Systems Modelling.

We are especially interested in fresh Ph.D.'s with expertise in the areas of
Biomaterial Evaluation, Biorheology, Biosensors, Cellular Biophysics,
Biomechanics (jointly with Mechanical Engg.) and Computers in Medicine
(jointly with Computer Science and Engg.).

4-176 Anesthesia Research, SMH                  211 15th St. SE, #205
Mayo Clinic                                     Rochester, MN 55906
Rochester, MN 55905
(507)255-7560/7328                              (507)280-8199
                                ___ ___ ___

#6. Laboratory Technician at Purdue University
  From: Stephen Kelley <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

Position available for Laboratory Technician (Level 7) at the Hillenbrand
Biomedical Engineering Center of Purdue University.  This person will be
responsible for maintaining cell/tissue culture capabilities and performing
bioassays for identification of cytokine/growth factor activity.  Knowledge
of standard biochemical techniques such as column chromatography, gel
electrophoresis, ELISA, and immunoblotting would be helpful.  Candidates
should hold a Master's degree in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related field
or have at least 3-5 years work experience in an aggressive cell/tissue
culture or biochemistry laboratory.

Applicants should provide resume and 3 references to:
Dr. Sherry Voytik,Hillenbrand Biomedical Engineering Center, Purdue University
W. Lafayette, IN  47907. Telephone: (317) 494-2995 or (317) 494-0757.
Fax: (317) 494-1193 or (317) 494-0517. E-mail Address:  [email-masked]
                                ___ ___ ___

#7. Assistant Professor in Microbiology
  From: <[email-masked]>
  Source: AEICNR (Acadamic Exchange Information Center - News Release)

The Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences, University of South
Florida invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor position
in microbiology, anticipated for Fall 1994. The successful candidate must
establish a strong, externally-funded research program, train M.S. and Ph.D.
students, and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the microbiology
core. He/she should have expertise in molecular and cellular processes and
be able to interact closely with microbiology and cell/molecular biology
faculty.

Applications should include curriculum vitae, undergraduate and graduate
transcripts, reprints, and statements of research and teaching interests.
Three letters of recommendation are required. Send all materials for receipt
by JANUARY 7, 1994 to: Dr. Diane Te Strake, Microbiology Search Committee,
Department of Biology, University of South Florida, 4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa FL 33620-5150.
                                ___ ___ ___

#8. Post-doctoral Research Associate in Food Microbiology
  From: Qinghua Zhang  <[email-masked]>

Position:  Post-doctoral Research Associate in Food Microbiology
Available:  Immediately
Qualification: Ph.D in microbiology or food microbiology or related fields

Application:  Send letter of application, curriculum vitae, and three names
and phone numbers of professional references to: Dr. G. V. Barbosa,
Biological Systems Engineering Department, Washington State University,
Pullman, WA 99164-6120. (509)335-6188, Fax: (509)335-2722.
or Dr. B. G. Swanson, Food Science and Human Nutrition Department,
Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-6376. (509)335-3793,
Fax: (509)335-773.
                                ___ ___ ___

#9. Software Engineers opportunities in Motorola China
  From: David Wei <[email-masked]>  10/18/93
  Source: Net New <[email-masked]>

Motorola China Electronics Ltd at Beijing Software Development Center is
looking for several candidates ( Local hire only) in the following
disciplines:

1.  Experiences in SUN/HP UNIX/C workstation and Netowrking (TCP/IP)
2.  C++ and C programming Experiences
3.  Structured Analysis and design
4.  Object-Oriented development background=D4
6.  Chinese handwirting/Character recognition
7.  Image processing

Please send your resume to [email-masked] or Frank Wu/Director
of Software center, Number 39 A/ Motorola, ZiZhuYuan Rd., Beijing, 100081 PRC
                                ___ ___ ___

#10. Sales Support Specialist for Reuters
  Forwarded by: Charles Mok, 10/18/93
  [Excerpt from job announcement in South China Morning Post]:

Applications are now being invited for the position of a Sales Support
Specialist.

Qualifications:
+  Sound knowledge in one of the following markets:
   Stocks; Fixed Income Securities; Derivativ;  Money Market.
   (Trading-floor experience is an advantage)
+  Experience with trading tools, such as technical analysis, options/
   bonds calculators, etc.
+  Excellent skills in PC-based decision support software, especially
   in the MS Windows environment;
+  Good interpersonal and numerical skills with at least 3 years of
   financial market or client support experience.

Contact: Mr. Mantis Lau, Reuters Hong Kong Ltd., 18/F One Exchange Square
Central, HONGKONG, Fax:  (+852) 868 4063.  Closing Date: end of November.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|               Editor of This Issue: Shuping Lu  (New York)               |
|                Coordinating Editor: Yungui Ding (Iowa)                   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+