Subject: CND-US, January 22, 1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 21:27:34 -0600

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                        Saturday, January 22, 1994

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (4 Items) ................................................ 39
2. Family Reunion Legislation H.R. 3182 Pending ......................... 28
3. An Ordeal in My Trip Back to China ................................... 55
4. Job Opportunities (2 Items) .......................................... 50
5. NCCA Report on CSPA Implementation
   and Expiration of the Executive Order ............................... 150
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (4 Items) ................................................ 39
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[CND 1/20/94] The controversial BBC film "Chairman Mao: The Untold Story"
will be aired on January 28, 1994, 7:00 p.m. CDT in cable channel Arts &
Entertainment. It will last one and half hours. Besides the sexy allegation
made by Mao's personal doctor Li, the film "examines the political
achievements and failures of the Chinese Communist leader", TV guide said.
There is an half hour program named "Madame Chiang Kai-Shek" right after it.
                              ___  ___  ___

After 3 weeks of nomination/self nomination and election process according
to CAL by-law, The new CAL Board of Directors has named its 1994 term
president and vice presidents. The new CAL president is Wang, Yaxin (Ph.D.,
Case Western Reserve University). The 3 vice presidents are: Wu, Yegang,
(Ph.D., South Florida Water Management District), Hu, Zhiliang, (Ph.D.(c),
University of Wisconsin-Madison), and Zhao, Yue, (Ph.D.(c), State University
of New York at Buffalo). (From: <[email-masked]> 1/20/94).
                              ___  ___  ___

According to the Purdue Exponent, the University is considering to change
its medical insurance requirement for international students. "The changes
will make the proposed University policy, effective in the fall of 1994,
mandatory for all non-immigrant international students to participate in the
student medical plan created by Purdue," the newspaper reported. Many
Chinese students at Purdue are currently insured with the IFCSS health
program. "It is noticed that Purdue is IFCSS's most profitable institution
in medical insurance plan," added Yi Zhang.
(From: Yi Zhang <[email-masked]>)
                              ___  ___  ___

Of the four bidding proposals to professionalize the IFCSS accounting system
received by the HQ by the deadline of December 31, the HQ recommended that
Jeff W.S. Lin proceed the task of reforming and professionalizing the IFCSS
accounting system. The HQ has notified Mr. Jeff W.S. Lin that he may
immediately proceed to take up the task. The HQ will work with the Council
and SVC to set up reform rules and regulations that would ensure greater
professionalization and accountability of the IFCSS accounting system.
The HQ will open all its financial records to the Council and SVC members
for scrutinization in the scheduled joint working meeting and clarify any
questions that may be raised thus far.
(Source: IFCSS HQ News Release; From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]> 1/17/94)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Family Reunion Legislation H.R. 3182 Pending ......................... 28
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:  January 20, 1994
_From: <[email-masked]> or <FEI@BNLDAG>

Family Reunion Legislation H.R. 3182 Pending in the U.S. House of
Representatives.

Rosa L. DeLauro, a member of the U.S. Congress in my district, wrote me a
letter on Jan. 12, 1994 regarding my concern about immigration policy for
the family reunion issue. Here is the important part:

"Spouses of U.S. citizens or resident aliens who marry outside of the United
States are often forced to wait months, if not years, before being able to
join their spouses in this country. This lengthy process separates families
unfairly, at great financial and emotional expense.

H.R. 3182 seeks to address this problem by designating a special
"nonimmigrant" status for the spouse and minor children of U.S. citizens and
legal residents.  The spouse would not be automatically granted permanent
resident status, but the family would be able to enter the United States. In
the interest of protecting American jobs, the bill prohibits the spouse from
working in the U.S. and states that if the marriage ends, so does the special
status.

This bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, where it has
been the subject of hearings in the Subcommittee on International Law,
Immigration, and Refugees. Although I do not sit on this committee, you can
be sure that I will carefully monitor the progress of this legislation,
keeping your views in mind."

Now we have legislations from both the Senate (legislation S. 618, see
CND-US issues on Dec. 12, 1993 and Dec. 18, 1993) and the House of
Representatives (legislation H.R. 3182).  Please write/call and ask your
Senators and Representatives to support these legislations. If you are
willing to work on this issue, please send me an e-mail message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. An Ordeal in My Trip Back to China ................................... 55
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 20 Jan 94 14:36:00 EST
_From: USA::JMD25218 <[email-masked]>

I went back to China this past Christmas and New Years to visit my hometown
Shanghai, Beijing, and Hongkong.  My impression of China is that there is
still too much "personal power" control in many circumstances.  I had a very
bad experience in China.  I will share my unpleasant story with the many
Chinese students in US, so that they will be aware of the situation that
they might encounter in the future.

My trip route was US-Shanghai-Beijing-Hongkong-Shanghai-US.  After one and
half weeks tour in China, I decided to go to Hongkong.   I was very excited
about my first trip to HK.   I had a lot of preparation work done in US,
such as called to Hongkong consular  to make sure whether I need a visa.  I
told the consular my trip plan, and was told that the new rule for a Chinese
passport holder is that within 7 days a traveler does not need a visa.  I
got to the Beijing airport, paid the 60 Yuan airport fee, and ready to go.
But I was stopped at the passport control, and was told that I was holding a
Chinese passport so that I needed a visa to Hongkong.  Their reason was that
my trip route was wrong.  I should not travel from
Mainland-Hongkong-Mainland.   They told me to get a ticket immediately in
the airport from Mainland-Hongkong-US (or anywhere), then they will let me
go.  I told them that I had a  ticket back to US already, it was just from
Shanghai to US, because I wanted to visit HK first then back to Shanghai to
stay with my family for two days before going back to US.   This plan
certainly did not work in China.   It is simply because THEY DO NOT LIKE IT!
One of the soldiers even told me that I have a tendency to sneak into
Hongkong.  I told them it is ridiculous, because I am a permanent resident
of USA, I can go to Hongkong any time I want if I stay there for less than 7
days, and I do not need a visa.  Anyhow, I did not pass the control.  I
stood there and felt that those soldiers (these soldiers are in a different
unit from the regular custom department) were laughing at me, and using
their laughter to tell me that you are under our control now, we just won't
let you go.  In the mean time, there was one person in the regular custom
department who felt the sympathy for me, in attempt to help me he asked
them: Is a visa necessary?  Burying my furious anger, I spent additional
$100 to get a flight ticket back to Shanghai, that is on top of my $250
wasted ticket from Beijing to Hongkong.

I was too upset to give up just like it was.  I called up my friend who is
in charge of the regular custom department in Shanghai, and was told that I
did not need a visa to Hongkong if it is a within 7 days trip.  Taking his
advise, I spent another $200 on the ticket to HK from Shanghai.  At the
Shanghai airport, I was stopped by a soldier again, and he told me that I
should change my passport to US so that I will not need visa.  Should I
change my passport or citizenship even if I do not really want to just to
get away from the Chinese bureaucracy which was executed incorrectly by
some people who misunderstood it?!   But I was finally released with the
help of a custom staff who is working in the same department of my friend.
When I got to the HK custom, I WAS NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A VISA.  SURPRISED?!

I finished my trip as I wished, despite the difficulties I had encountered.
I was very stressed and frustrated, and spent extra money too.  I could not
keep myself quite every time when I think about the trip to China.  There
were many adventures I experienced, and I learned a lot from this trip.  I
will not spill all them out here, because only you are the master of your
own feelings.

A CND news reader

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Job Opportunities (2 Items) .......................................... 50
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 21, 1994
Forwarded by: Yeh Hsueh <[email-masked]>

*** Casting of Asian Actor and Actress for Short Film

We are looking for an Asian woman, age 18-25, to play a Chinese
Goddess, and an Asian man, over 40, to play a Chinese-American professor.
Both parts are being cast for a 20-minute thesis film at the Florida State
University Film School in Sarasota, Florida.   Please call Matt Shapo
at (813) 355-6611 x 1135 for more information, before January 27, 1994.

Anyone interested in playing one of the two parts should mail his or
her resume and photo to:

        Film and Television Conservatory
        Florida State University at Sarasota
        5555 North Tamiami Trail
        Sarasota, FL 34234

        FAX: (813) 359-5762

We will cover the transportation and lodging for the chosen actor and actress.

                              ___  ___  ___

Date: January 21, 1994
_From: Jiyuan Tu <[email-masked]>

*** RESEARCH  ASSOCIATE (Fixed Term)

Salary :  $36,285-38,950,  depending on qualifications and experience
Contact:  Professor C.A.J. Fletcher on 02-697-5745, 02-662-7792 (fax) or
          [email-masked] (email).

Applications close February 7, 1994.

The above two-year position is available as part of a DITARD Generic
Technology Grant to develop "Design Software for Power Utility Boilers".
The R&D program is being undertaken jointly by the University of N.S.W.,
Pacific Power, ANSAMS and the University of Sydney.

The R&D program will require the development of innovative, robust
computational algorithms able to predict complex turbulent, high
temperature two-phase flow through power utility boilers and the conversion
of the research codes into operational design software to be used by
non-specialist engineers.

Applicants should have a PhD, research experience in computational fluid
dynamics and/or heat transfer and a willingness to contribute to the
production of commercially viable software.  Experience in developing and
using industrial computer codes is desirable.  Experience on vector
supercomputers or massively parallel computers an advantage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. NCCA Report on CSPA Implementation
   and Expiration of the Executive Order ............................... 150
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: <[email-masked]>

DATE:     January 18,  1994
TO:       Chinese Nationals Nationwide
_FROM:     Dr. Haiching Zhao, National Council on Chinese Affairs

In the last few months, we have worked extensively on the issue of CSPA
interim rules.  The following is a summary of the current situation
regarding CSPA implementation.

(I) OUR LOBBYING ACTIVITIES

On September 7, 1993, NCCA sent a letter to the Department of Justice once
again raising our concerns regarding the interim regulations.  The issues we
raised included:

(1) CSPA dependents should be under the worldwide quota instead of the China
    quota;
(2) DED dependents eligible to adjust status in the U.S.;
(3) 90-Day applicants eligible for case-by-case review;
(4) Dependents over 21-year be judged at the time of filing;
(5) Waiver of birth certificate evidence for dependents.

Subsequently, we had a series of conversations with high level
administration officials regarding CSPA implementation.

On December 7, 1993, NCCA received a response letter from Phyllis Coven,
Assistant to Attorney General from the Justice Department.  In that letter,
it was stated that the Justice Department and the INS were still unwilling
to put CSPA dependents under the worldwide quota.  As a result, dependents
will have to wait under China country quota and some children may be over
21-year by the time they can adjust.

We also strongly feel that DED dependents should not be deemed to have lost
legal status.  However, INS maintains that DED dependents are not directly
covered by CSPA and therefore will have to go to a third country for
immigrant visa processing.

Finally, the Justice Department letter refused to consider 90-day
applications on a case-by-case basis even if the applicant has a legitimate
reason for delaying.

NCCA was dissatisfied with the letter from the Justice Department.  In
addition, there is another problem resulted from the expiration of the
Executive Order.  Many principal pending applicants had their previous work
authorization through Executive Order.  When they filed CSPA applications
back in July, they did not anticipate a long delay and therefore did not
file a separate work permit application.  Upon expiration of the DED by
January 1, 1994, many people would not have a legal work permit, some had
their pay-roll suspended.  In addition, many people have encountered a
variety of difficulties due to the lack of the approval notices, such as
inability to travel, to enroll into school properly, etc.

Therefore, on December 22, 1993, we had a meeting with officials in the
White House in charge of Multinational Affairs and Domestic Affairs.  We
emphasized on particularly two issues.  One is the improvement of CSPA
interim rule.  The other is about the fact that many CSPA's principal
applications are still pending.  Upon expiration of the Executive Order as of
January 1, 1994.  Many people would have no legal work authorization.  And
all 90-day people would lose status before we could resolve the matter with
the Administration.  We proposed an extension of the Executive Order until
June 30, 1994, so that there would be enough time for the final regulations
to issue and for all to apply for CSPA benefits.

In response to our request, the Administration arranged what they termed "a
super tele-conference" on December 29, 1993.  Present were Phyllis Coven
from the Justice Department; Paul Virtue, Acting General Counsel of the INS;
Larry Weinig, INS Associate Commissioner for Examinations; Laura Reiff,
Elaine Budd and myself.  We reviewed all our concerns once again about the
expiration of the Executive Order as well as the work authorization problem
and other problems related to CSPA implementation.  Subsequently, we were
told that according to INS, there are about 4,000 pending CSPA principal
applicants in the East Regional Center alone who have not received their
approval notices.  Most of these cases were due to request for additional
information such as resubmitting of finger print card, and also due to the
fact that since last October, the INS regional center has put CSPA pending
applicants into lower priority in their processing and instead has
concentrated on other non-CSPA cases.

On December 30th, we were told by the Administration officials that they
have decided to direct INS Regional Service Centers to put CSPA pending
principal cases as priority and expedite all CSPA principal applications.
The Regional Centers were directed to complete all CSPA adjudication in the
month of January.  This will certainly help those whose Executive Order work
authorization expired on 1/1/94.  In addition, for those that qualify for
CSPA but were in DED and have not yet filed, if you run into any problems
with INS you will be allowed to file your CSPA application before any
deportation actions are taken against you.

We believed that this is an acceptable compromise.  On one hand, it solves
the problems of many pending CSPA applications; on the other hand, it solves
the major problems such as work authorization resulted from expiration of
the DED without actually extending the DED program which INS has a hard time
to set a precedent.

(II) CURRENT SITUATION

In regard to the CSPA dependent issue, we have encountered increasing
difficulties in achieving satisfactory results.  The reasons are:

1) In the U.S. domestic political arena, we have been against a strong anti-
immigration tide.  There are members of Congress, officials and different
interest groups fighting against us from including any more people into
CSPA.  All these make the Administration very reluctant to make decision in
our favor that may offend other groups.

2) We have lost tremendous momentum since July 1, 1993, when the interim
rule issued and a large number of principals were covered.  Before the
interim rule was issued, the pressure was on the Administration to satisfy
our need as a whole community in order to ensure smooth implementation of
CSPA.  Now, that pressure has been released from the Administration and it
is upon us to appeal to the Administration to give us more.

3) Our own voice has been dramatically weaker.  The total number of late-
arriving dependents is somewhere from 6,000 to 10,000.  This force can not
be compared with close to 80,000 principals, and consequently draws a lot
less attention from U.S. policy makers.  In addition, this dependent group
tend to be less organized, less active and consequently with less power to
make a difference.

Currently, the INS is drafting the final regulations which supposed to be
issued sometimes in February.  This would be the only hope, if any, for the
dependent issue to be resolved.

What we have accomplished this time is the solution related to the
expiration of the Executive Order, such as pending applications and work
authorization.

(III) FUTURE PROSPECTS AND COMMENTS

We continue to believe that the best solution regarding the late-arriving
dependent issue is to lobby the Administration to change in the final
regulations
1) to cover the dependents under the worldwide quota;
2) to maintain legal status for DED dependents and
3) to grant case-by-case review policy for 90-Day cases, as well as waiving
birth certificate for dependents and the issue of 21-year children.  Even
though these are our goals, as stated above of the difficulties, we advise
people to be prepared for not so perfect results.

We are now working closely with members of Congress and the Administration
in hopes of resolving these issues.  We will keep you informed.  Many people
have realized the importance of getting organized and maintain a strong
voice for the interest of our own community.  Many have participated and
contributed by continuing donation to NCCA.  We want to take this
opportunity to thank those who have supported us in the past.  You can also
help our effort by making your donation or pledge to: NCCA and send to:

National Council on Chinese Affairs
P.O. Box 77418
Washington, D.C. 20013-7418

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                Editor of This Issue: Cindy Zheng (San Diego, Ca)         |
|                 Coordinating Editor: Yungui Ding (Ames, Iowa)              |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+