Subject: CND-US, February 16, 1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 23:35:39 -0600

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                        Wednesday, February 16, 1994

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News and Info Brief (1 Item ) ........................................ 11
2. Tax Filing Requirements for F, J & M Visa Holders .................... 85
3. Immigration Visa Numbers for March 1994 .............................. 60
4. About CSPA Late-Arriving-Dependents Interview With INS ............... 25
5. Introduction to Linyi Development Zone in Shandong .................. 120
6. Readers' Comments on "Travelog of Two Chinese Students' Home Trip" ... 33
7. China and America: the Rights Row .................................... 53
8. Activities of Alumni Organizations ................................... 22
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News and Info Brief (1 Item ) ........................................ 11
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[LOUISVILLE, 2/13/94] WORKSHOP FOR THE RECENT ADVANCES IN CHEMICAL
ENGINEERING, sponsored by the National Education Committee of China,
National Natural Science Foundation of China and Zhejiang University, will
be held from June 1 to 18, 1994 in Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PRC. The
workshop is organized by the Department of Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang
University.  The organizer of the workshop will offer the accommodations,
local transportation and sightseeing for the invited speakers when they stay
in Hangzhou, also the domestic transportation fee to the next stop or from
the last stop in their travel. For more information and application forms,
please email to [email-masked].
(From: ZML_UL <[email-masked]>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Tax Filing Requirements for F, J & M Visa Holders .................... 85
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: NAFSA, February 15, 1994
_From: Matt Schulze, Amy Yenkin, NAFSA Central Office
Forwarded by: Bo Xiong

Foreign students and scholars, and their dependents, will be required to
file tax returns for the 1993 tax year following procedures nearly identical
to last year's procedures. Beginning last year, all F, J, and M visaholders
were required to file a 1040NR even if no U.S. source income was earned. In
addition, the IRS required that an additional statement be filed by all
nonresident aliens. These requirements continue to hold for F, J, and M
visaholders for this tax year. New this year, however, is a form for the
statement, Form 8843.

Last year it was unclear whether dependents were also required to file a
1040NR if they had no income. IRS Publication 519 (U.S. Tax Guide for
Aliens) contains no clear guidance, although an attorney with the IRS's
general counsel's office who handles international taxation contends that
the IRS requirement applies to dependents.

Of course, individuals who received wages are required to file tax returns,
and attach Form 8843. A return must also be filed in cases where income is
exempt under a tax treaty provision.

The requirement that F, J, and M visaholders file Form 1040NR even if they
have no income was first published in 1992 in IRS Publication 519 and in the
instructions accompanying Form 1040NR. On page 34 of this year's Publication
519, the IRS states:

     "You must file an income tax return on Form 1040NR if
     you are a nonresident alien individual engaged or
     considered to be engaged in a trade or business in the
     United States, even if you have no income...Note: If you
     were a nonresident alien student or trainee who was
     temporarily present in the United States under an
     'F,"J,' or 'M' visa, you are considered engaged in a
     trade or business in the United States."

The interpretation expands the definition of a nonresident for tax purposes
to include all F, J, and M students and trainees. It is important to
remember that the IRS's use of the term "trainee" is applicable to
nonresident professors and researchers on J-1 visas as well.

The requirement that nonresident aliens file an additional statement (Form
8843) was included in a regulation published in April 1992. The statement
serves as an explanation of the visaholder's claim to nonresident status for
tax purposes.

To obtain single or bulk copies of Form 1040NR and Form 8843, individuals
can: (1) contact the IRS document office at 1.800.829.3676; (2) call
1.800.829.1040 and ask for the taxpayer education coordinator; or (3) visit
a local IRS office.

If Form 8843 is not available, F, J, and M visaholders may include, on a
separate piece of paper and attached to Form 1040NR, the following
information:

1.   The individual's name, address, U.S. taxpayer identification number,
     if any, and the U.S. visa number, if any;
2.   Passport number and the country that issued the passport;
3.   The taxable year for which the statement is to apply;
4.   The total number of days of presence in the United States during the
     current year, during the preceding calendar year, and during the second
     preceding calendar year;
5.   The name, address, and telephone number of the director of the academic
     program or other specialized program that the individual participated
     in during 1993; and
6.   The type of U.S. visa held by the individual during the preceding six
     years.

The above must be verified by a declaration that the statement is made under
penalty of perjury and signed.

Failure to file Form 8843 could result in the filer being considered a U.S.
resident for tax purposes, making the individual's worldwide income subject
to U.S. taxation.

For individuals who earned income in 1993, the filing deadline is April 15.
For individuals who did not receive wages, the filing deadline is June 15.
Income tax returns should be mailed to the Internal Revenue Service,
Philadelphia, PA 19255.

For F, J, and M visaholders who do not have social security numbers, the IRS
has advised these individuals to submit the return without a social security
number. The IRS will then assign a number to these individuals. The number
will begin with the digit "9." The IRS requires that the identification
number be used when filing future tax returns until a social security number
is obtained.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Immigration Visa Numbers for March 1994 .............................. 60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Doug Mollenauer, NAFSA Central Office
Source:  NAFSA
Forwarded by: Bo Xiong, Compiled by CND

Visa numbers for March 1994

Updated visa availability information is provided by the State Department
in the middle of each month. A pre-recorded message reports cut-off dates
for the next month (PH. 202.663.1541.).

Employment-Based

1st: (Priority workers) Current
2nd: (Advanced degrees, exceptional ability) Current
3rd: (Skilled workers and professionals) Current except for China-mainland
     born, July 2, 1993; and the Philippines, July 1, 1992
3rd: (Other workers) Worldwide date: March 1, 1988
4th: (Special immigrants) Current except for the Philippines: February 1,
     1993
4th: (Religious workers) Current except for the Philippines: February 1,
     1993
5th: (Employment-creation) Current
5th: (Targeted employment areas/Regional Centers) Current
Chinese Student Protection Act: Current
Transition Immigrant (AA-1, or Visa Lottery) Category: Current for IRELAND
     only. AA-1 numbers for all other qualifying countries are available to
     applicants with lottery rank numbers lower than: 13,500.

Family-based preference dates:

1st: (Unmarried sons and daughters of citizens) Current except for Mexico:
     February 22, 1993; and the Philippines: September 1, 1985
2A:  (Spouses and children, exempt from per country limit) Worldwide date:
     earlier than June 22, 1991
2A:  (Spouses and children, subject to per country limit) Worldwide date:
     from June 22, 1991 to July 8, 1991; except for Mexico: no visas
     available
LB:  (Spouses and children of legalization beneficiaries) Worldwide date:
     July 1, 1991
2B:  (Unmarried sons or daughters of permanent residents, 21 years or older)
     Worldwide date: November 8, 1989 except for Dominican Republic: July
     19, 1989; and the Philippines: August 22, 1987
3rd: (Married sons and daughters of citizens) Worldwide date: January 15,
     1992 except for Mexico: October 1, 1985; and the Philippines: April 20,
     1983
4th: (Brothers and sisters of adult citizens) Worldwide date: September 15,
     1984 except for India: March 15, 1983; Mexico: June 15, 1982; and the
     Philippines: June 13, 1977

Asylees who filed their application to adjust on or before February 1, 1994
and whose names are included on the Immigration and Naturalization Service
centralized computer list may now be adjusted.

Appendix B/C/E of the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), which includes
nonimmigrant visa reciprocity schedules and document availability in various
countries, is available from the Department of State for $115. This portion
of the FAM has not been separate from Part IV of Volume 9 until now.  All of
Part IV is still available for $ 258.75.

Checks payable to the Department of State must accompany the order, obtained
from:
Distribution Services (OIS/PS/PR)
Room B847 A
Department of State
Washington, DC 20520

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. About CSPA Late-Arriving-Dependents Interview With INS ............... 25
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: ***@***.***.edu, 02/13/94

I guess this is the time for most of the LADs of CSPA principals to have
their interviews in the local INS. We have just had ours two days ago in LA
INS. For your convenience, I would like to remind you of something you
should bring with you when you meet IND officers.

1. All the copies of the application materials of the LAD;
2. No new medical examination is needed as long as you did when you filed
   your application;
3. No original documents were required to show to them as long as you
   certified your copies in your application were true copies.
4. They do need
   (1) LAD's photo ID
   (2) LAD's passport
   (3) Principal's passport or Green Card
   (4) Principal's approval notice(they need to know your priority date
       from it)
   (5) Either LAD's or Principal's MOST RECENT proof of financial situation,
       stub of the pay checks should be sufficient.

The questions asked should be no surprise to you.  So just make sure you
bring enough materials with you if you don't want to make another trip.

This is just based on our own experience in LA INS and just for your
reference.  I am not responsible for any information that may not be
appropriate in your own situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Introduction to Linyi Development Zone in Shandong .................. 120
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: February 14, 1994
_From: Ping Lu <[email-masked]>

I visited Linyi High New-Tech Industries Development Zone in Shandong
Province in January, 1994.  I was impressed with the progress achieved in
this poor and backward area in just two years.

The following is the introduction to the development zone.

Luo Zhuang Town, Linyi City High and New Technology Development Zone (DZ)
was established by the People's Goverment of Shandong in 1992, and now is
one of three National Social Comprehensive Development Experimental Zones
(see 12/14/93 People's Daily Overseas Edition, 1st page).

Luo Zhuang Town is located 11.5 km south of Linyi City.  The area is rich in
natural resources, with over 300 business establishments.  According to the
statistics made by The State Council's Research Center for Economy, Luo
Zhuang Town ranks as one of the "Towns and Township with 100 million RMB
Yuan income of the country": its sales income in the 8th place, total social
output value in the 12th place and total profits and taxes in the 20th
place.  It has also earned the title of "The first town of Shandong".

DZ covers an area of 10 square km.  The DZ puts emphasis on developing new
materials technology, electronics and electronic information technology, new
etc.  Three research institutes of bioengineering, applied electronics and
silicate have been approved.

Over the past one year, it has successfully attracted 19 joint ventures
with an output of over $150 million foreign exchange per annum.  This is
also accompanied with the introduction of advanced technology.  There are
over 40 foreign-invested companies from Germany, Japan, Italy, Taiwan and
Hong Kong.  Total investment in real estate, food, machinery, electronic,
building material, textile and other light industries are over $50 million.

Some 100 high tech, new technology enterprises will be established in the
DZ.  It will be a complete set of organizations including scientific
research, development, marketing and efficient public utilities.

Investment environment and conditions

DZ provides a conductive investment environment with the following
attractive advantages to investors:

1. Strategic geographic location with well developed transport and
telecommunication facilities.  Shandong is one of the provinces in China
with high density road network.  Luo Zhuang has excellent road system and
is served by the Weifang-Xuzhou highway.  Yanzhou railway connects the north
of the town to Beijing-Kowloon line.  Lianyun port is 110 km away, the
starting point of the new Euro-Asia land bridge.  Linyi is expanding its
international airport, which is 14 km away from DZ, and is expected to
accommodate 747 flights this year.  Advanced telecommunication system and
technology such as automatic telegram transfer, direct dialed international
call and fax now are in operation.

2. Rich in natural resources with great potential for development.  Over 40
kinds of minerals have been discovered with potential economic value of over
100,000 million RMB Yuan, most of which are non-metal resources.

3. Well developed traditional products and backbone enterprises.  There are
over 100 porcelain and building material enterprises producing 10 million
square metres of slazed floor and wall tiles per annum that are being
exported to over 20 countries.  There is good potential for further
investment as the market demand is not fulfilled yet.

4. Well developed service facilities.  New hotels, restaurants are in
operation and are capable of meeting foreign guests.

5. Implementation of preferential policies.  Preferential policies offer
great convenience and economic benefit to the investors which will
facilitate the establishment of their business, thus enhancing
competitiveness.  New and high technology enterprises and foreign founded
enterprises are  exempted from income tax for 2 years dating from the time
when profits are made and entitled to enjoy a preferential income rate of
7.5% for the next three years.  Enterprises that invest in capital
construction projects from communication, transportation and energy supply
in the DZ are exempted from construction tax.  Enterprices operate in the DZ
are exempted from bonus tax and personal income tax.

Investment direction

A. Porcelain building material industries (high grade daily use porcelain,
   steel product, new building material)..
B. Textile industry (high and medium grade textile, wool spinning,
   development of spinning, synthetic materials, synthetic silk).
C. Machinery industry (porcelain, textile, engineering and construction
   machinery).
D. Electronic (computer and software, computer laser system, etc).
E. Bio-engineering technology (animal and plan cell engineering, new enzyme
   products, modern microbiology yeast technology and biomedical
   engineering technology).

Any other suitable industries and services proposed by foreign associates.
DZ is authorized to approve investment sums that do not exceed $30 million
by foreign investment within 15 days.

Some of the planned investment projects:

1. Joint venture to manufacture notebook computer.
2. Joint venture to manufacture CD player and CD.
3. Joint venture to produce high-grade sanitary ceramics.
4. Joint venture to produce mini battery.
5. Join venture to manufacture cast iron enamelled bathtubs.
6. Joint venture to make oxygen.

By superior environments and preferential policies, Linyi High & New-Tech
Industries Devellopment Zone is welcoming friends from home and abroad to
come and hold trade talks, introduce new technology  and seek benefits
together.

I was impressed with the high speed of development of this DZ.  I met with
vice directors, vice governor with a MBA degree from Jilin Industrial
College, and director of the Recruit Trade Bureau of DZ.  I found big
difference between these officers  and those ones in big cities.  They not
only know how to make money for the DZ and folks (including themselves, of
course) but also care about the national political situation and world
events (such as social system and moral concepts in western countries).
Although some of them were peasants several years ago, they are businessmen
and policy makers  now.  They travel abroad and make deals with foreigners.
They are eager to attract capital as well as talented persons.  They welcome
oversea CSS to make investment with capital, high and new-tech in DZ.  Their
wishes are "everybody makes a good fortune".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Readers' Comments on "Travelog of Two Chinese Students' Home Trip" ... 33
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe all things written in that article could be true, but ask all of
ourselves that if we had so many complaints about China when we just came to
U.S. and why we have so many now.  The answer is we have changed much more
during the years we stay here than China has changed in some area during the
same years.  China definitely should take the things you'v written
seriously, but my fellow you do have to put all those negative things
together to make a point and to let fellows feel down.  Unlike other foreign
travelers, we have a special relation with China, and we should ask not only
what China has done for us but also what we have done for China.
(From: Zhixing Zhou <[email-masked]>, 2/13/94)
                              ___   ___   ___

The travelog by Jackson D. He and Agnes W. He on 2/12/94 issue of CND is a
very informative piece. So I just stop appraising it and say what I do not
like.  What I find a little annoying is their tune and attitude when talking
about the Chinese things and ways. They sound like "Lao3 Wai4". For example,
in the section of "A Nation of Doctors", they describe how every friends and
relatives tried to offer them medication when they were ill. They do not
appreciate it very much or regard it as warm-harted concern. Instead, they
think the Chinese are less sophisticated because the Chinese do not
understand the American rule that only Board Certified doctors are qualified
to give people medication. Come on, you know our Chinese way!  Brother
(Sister)!  We need improvement in the long run. But a lot of people would
not get any treatment if we use the American rule, simply because there are
severe shortage of doctors. Again, I agree with their opinion but find the
way they express it annoying, although I myself have been in the US for many
years. (From: Steve Zhang, [email-masked], 2/14/94)
                              ___   ___   ___

This is a very good report.  Please forward my sincere appreciation to them.
Thank you. -- Ciping (also an optical engineer)
(From: Ciping Huang <[email-masked]>, 2/15/94)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. China and America: the Rights Row .................................... 53
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Charles Mok, 2/11/94
Source: The Economist. February 5, 1994

The annual report produced by the American State Department on human rights
everywhere but in America is the sort of "interference" China most objects
to.  This year's report, the gist of which was released on February 2nd,
will be especially unpopular with the Chinese government, whose record is
singled out for particular criticism.  It cannot be dismissed lightly, for
it could put trading privileges worth billions of dollars in jeopardy.

In May last year President Clinton said he would recommend Congress to renew
China's low-tariff "most favorite nation" (MFN) trading status this June
only if it made "overall, significant progress" on a range of issues from
birth control to emigration.  Since then, however, there have been signs of
a shift in America's policy towards what Mr Clinton described during his
presidential campaign as the "dictators" of Beijing.  This shift became
apparent after the meeting between Mr Clinton and Jiang Zemin, the Chinese
president, in Seattle in November.  It seemed that America was reverting to
the policy of "constructive engagement" with China favorite by the previous
president, George Bush.

The report is likely to fuel a demand by members of Congress that Mr Clinton
should be tougher than Mr Bush was when faced with similar documents.  This
could make it difficult for the president to approve China's MFN status for
another year in June, however much he would like to.  According to the World
Bank, without the benefit of MFN status 96% of China's exports to the United
States would be at risk.

The report said China had taken "some positive steps" in 1993 by releasing
political prisoners, and noted that economic reform had loosened the
Communist Party's control over people's lives.  But in general China's
human-rights record "fell short of internationally accepted norms as it
continued to repress domestic critics and failed to control abuses by its
own security forces."  The report listed torture, forced confessions,
arbitrary detentions, and predetermined verdicts in trials as just some of
China's abuses, and pinpointed Tibet as an area of particular repression.
It said:

        Fundamental human rights provided for in the constitution are
        frequently ignored in practice, and challenges to the Communist
        Party's political authority are often dealt with harshly and
        arbitrarily.

China is now under serious pressure to improve.  The Communist Party could
not possibly fulfill even the first of Mr Clinton's demands -- that China
should respect freedom of expression -- and expect to stay in power for
long.  But there are several things it must do, among them the freeing of
more prisoners.  Some are expected to be released in the next few weeks.

On January 31st China said it had loosened controls on overseas travel for
its citizens, another demand by Mr Clinton.  The _China Daily_ reported that
almost 700,000 Chinese went abroad on personal business last year.  Only 4%
of first-time applicants were refused exit permits, compared with 20% in
1992.  Many Chinese who want to go abroad on holiday or to study are refused
permission not by China but by the countries they want to visit.  The United
States is particularly strict, fearing that Chinese allowed in for a holiday
may stay on in the land of the free.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Activities of Alumni Organizations ................................... 22
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Houston, 2/11/94] An initiation of a network for Beijing Forestry
University (BFU) Alumni overseas is underway.  Anyone who graduated from
the University (former Beijing Forestry College) and currently studying/
working abroad or associated with this school in any way is
welcome to forward his/her information to [email-masked] or
[email-masked] including name, sex, major, year of graduation,
school in US or other country, degree earned, current position, addresses
(office/home), phone numbers, and email and fax if applicable. A collected
info will be organized into a directory and distributed to all BFU alumni.
(From: Changxiang Liu <[email-masked]>)
                              ___   ___   ___

[CND, 2/11/94] Alumni, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Beijing can e-mail to [email-masked] for a recently updated
alumni directory with about 150 entries.  You may also call Zhong PENG at
(415) 750-0331 for more information. (From: [email-masked])
                              ___   ___   ___

[soc.culture.china, 2/14/94] Tianjin University alumni who are interested in
join the North America Chapter of the Peiyang-Tianjin University Alumni
Association, can contact the Chapter at [email-masked]
(From: <[email-masked]>)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|              Editor of This Issue: Cindy Zheng (San Diego, Ca)           |
|               Coordinating Editor: Yungui Ding (Ames, Iowa)              |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+