Subject: CND-Global, July 27, 1992

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1992 02:27:34 -0500

* * *  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  * * *

                             (News Global)

                         Monday, July 27, 1992

Table of Contents                                               # of Lines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (1 Item)...................................................9
2. ZHUANG Yong Won The 1st Gold Medal for China in Barcelona Olympics
   Ranking of Chinese Athletes on July 26 Prelims .....................100
3. Summer Olympics: Medals Standings & Details (As of July 26) .........60
4. Indian, Chinese Defense Ministers Hold Closed-Door Talks.............33
5. China Says Taiwan Law on Better Ties Unacceptable....................25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (1 Item)...................................................9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[AP-DJ, 7/25] BEIJING -- The Chinese government demanded Saturday that the
U.S.   government  halt  plans to lease warships to Taiwan.  "This move is
totally unacceptable to the Chinese side," the state-run Xinhua News Agen-
cy quoted a Foreign Ministry statement as saying.  U.S. Embassy spokeswom-
an Lorraine Toly said she wasn't aware of any protest being  made  to  the
embassy,  and  couldn't immediately comment.  The Chinese Foreign Ministry
statement said the leasing plan would violate the 1982 agreement by effec-
tively raising the quantity and quality of U.S.  arms transfers to Taiwan.
(From: Huijie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. ZHUANG Yong Won The 1st Gold Medal for China in Barcelona Olympics
   Ranking of Chinese Athletes on July 26 Prelims .....................100
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[AP-DJ,  7/26] ZHUANG Yong of China upset world record holder Jenny Thomp-
son of the U.S. Sunday to win the first gold medal for China in the women's
100-meter freestyle swimming competition at the Olympics in Barcelona. She
is the  first  Chinese women who won a gold medal in the  Olympic history.
Zhuang overtook  Thompson  over  the final 50 meters and won in an Olympic
record time of 54.64 seconds.  Thompson held on for the silver.  Franziska
van Almsick of Germany, a 14-year-old, edged out American Nicole Haiselett
for  the bronze medal. (From: Huijie)
                       ____  ____  ____  ____

[soc.culture.china, 7/26] FU Mingxia takes first place in women's platform 
diving prelim.   Here is  the results  from women's prelim platform diving
(6 rounds):
            Women's Platform Preliminary Round (Top 12 qualify for final)
 1, Fu Mingxia, China, 361.770 points.
 2, Mary Ellen Clark, USA, 329.850 points.
 3, Elena Mirochina, Unified Team, 310.320.
 4. MariaJose Alcala Izguerra, Mexico, 309.390.
 5, Ellen Owen, USA, 299.520.
 6, Zhu Jinhong, China, 297.000.
 7, Inga Afonina, Unified Team, 293.940.
 8, Hayley Allen, Britain, 292.770.
 9, Veronica G. Ribot De Canales, Argentina, 292.260.
10, April Adams, Australia, 290.730.
11, Vyninka Rae Robyn Arlow, Australia, 289.140.
12, Ioana Voicu, Romania, 288.870.
(From: Ya Zhou, [email-masked])
                       ____  ____  ____  ____

[rec.sport.olympics, 7/26] GYMNASTICS: Most of the compulsory results

Women's Team Competition standings after the compulsory exercises
1. Unified Team 197.507        2. United States 197.007 
3. Romania, 196. 982           4. China, 195.769
5. Spain, 195.395              6. Bulgaria, 194.982
7. Hungary, 194.620            8. Australia, 194.619
9. North Korea, 193.859        10. Germany, 193.857
11. Canada, 193.245            12. France, 192.731

Women's Individual Scores 
1, Shannon Miller, Edmond, Okla., 39.636 points
2, Svetlana Boguinskaia, Unified Team, 39.625
3, Henrietta Onodi, Hungary, 39.624
4, Lavinia Corina Milosovici, Romania, 39.598
5, Tatiana Goutsou, Unified Team, 39.586
6, Cristina Bontas, Romania, 39.562
7, Betty Okino, Elmhurst, Ill., 39.499
8, Tatiana Lyssenko, Unified Team, 39.473
9, Dilyana Vodenitcharova, Bulgaria, 39.399
10, Lu Li, China, 39.398

Vault
1, Shannon Miller, Edmond, Okla., 9.950. 
2, (tie), Henrietta Onodi, Hungary; Kim Zmeskal, Houston, 9.900. 
4 (tie), Lavinia Corina Milosovici, Romania, 9.887; 
	 Betty Okino, Elmhurst, Ill., 9.887. 
6, Sylvia Zarkova Mitova, Bulgaria, 9.875. 
7, Tatiana Lysenko, Unified Team, 9.862. 
8 (tie), Deliana A. Vodenitcharova, Bulgaria; Yang Bo, China; 
   Svetlana Boguinskaia, Unified Team; Oksana Chusovitina,
   Unified Team; Maria Neculita, Romania, 9.850.

Uneven Bars
1, Kim Gwang-Suk, North Korea, 9.950. 
2, Tatiana Gutsu, Unified Team, 9.937. 
3, Lavinia Corina Milosovici, Romania, 9.937. 
4, Svetlana Boguinskaia, Unified Team, 9.925. 
5, Shannon Miller, Edmond, Okla., 9.912. 
6, (tie) Li Li, China; Cristina Fraguas Sanchez, Spain;
   Henrietta Onodi, Hungary; Cristina Bontas, Romania, 9.900. 
10 (tie), Lu Li, China; Mirela Ana Pasca, Romania; Kim Zmeskal, Houston,
   9.887.
    
Balance Beam
1, Cristina Bontas, Romania, 9.900. 
2 (tie), Lu Li, China; Tatiana Gutsu, Unified Team; Henrietta Onodi, 
  Hungary; 2. Shannon Miller, Edmond, Okla., 9.887. 
6 (tie), Svetlana Boguinskaia, Unified Team; Oksana Chusovitina, 
  Unified Team, 9.875. 
8 (tie), Lavinia Corina Milosovici, Romania, 9.862; Betty Okino, 
  Elmhurst, Ill., 9.862.  
10 (tie), Deliana A. Vodenitcharova, Bulgaria; Tatiana Lysenko, Unified
   Team; Li Chun-Mi, North Korea, 9.837.

Floor Exercise
1, Svetlana Boguinskaia, Unified Team, 9.975. 2, Cristina Bontas,
Romania, 9.950. 3, Henrietta Onodi, Hungary, 9.937. 4 (tie), Tatiana
Gutsu, Unified Team; Kim Zmeskal, Houston, 9.  925. 6 (tie), Tatiana
Lysenko, Unified Team; Oksana Chusovitina, Unified Team; Lavinia
Corina Milosovici, Romania, 9.912. 9, Elmhurst, Ill., 9.900. 10 (tie),
Sylvia Zarkova Mitova, Bulgaria; Shannon Miller, Edmond, Okla.; Kerri
Strug, Tucson, Ariz., 9.887.
(From: Rachele Harless, [email-masked])

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Summer Olympics: Medals Standings & Details (As of July 26) .........60
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:    Jian Liu, 7/26/92
Source: Dow Jones News:    07/26 (as of 14:00 EST, U.S. Time)

    Summer Olympics Medals Standings & Details (Thru 9 Events on 7/26)

COUNTRY       GOLD SILVER BRONZE TOTAL

China            1      3      0     4  (See below for details)
United States    1      1      1     3
Unified Team     2      0      0     2
Hungary          1      1      0     2
Bulgaria         1      1      0     2
Australia        1      0      1     2
Germany          1      0      1     2
Sweden           0      1      1     2
France           0      1      1     2
South Korea      1      0      0     1
Italy            0      1      0     1
Independent Team (Yugoslavia)
                 0      0      1     1
Finland          0      0      1     1
Netherlands      0      0      1     1
Romania          0      0      1     1

 - ZHUANG Yong won a gold  in  100m women's  free-style swim.   She  broke
   Olympics Record but not World Record.

 - WANG Yifu of China  won  the silver medal and Ragnar Skanaker of Sweden 
   won the bronze medal.

 - LIN Li of China won the silver medal and Summer Sanders of the U.S. won
   the bronze medal.

 - LIN Qisheng of China won the silver medal and Trian Ciharean of Romania
   won the bronze medal.

 - Krisztna Egerszegy  of Hungary  won the  gold medal in the women's 400-
   meter individual medley swimming competition.

 - The honor  of  the  first  gold medal of the Games went to Yeo Kab-Soon 
   South Korea, won the gold medal in the women's air-rifle competition.

 - Konstantin Loukachik of the Unified team won the gold medal in the men's 
   free-pistol competition.

 - Ivan  Ivanov  of  Bulgaria  won  the gold medal in the flyweight (52kg)
   weightlifting competition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Indian, Chinese Defense Ministers Hold Closed-Door Talks.............33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:    Huijie
Source:  AP-DJ, 7/25/92

BEIJING -- Indian Defense Minister Sharad Pawar held closed-door talks Sa-
turday with his Chinese counterpart at the start of the highest-level mil-
itary contact ever between the former enemies.

Neither side would disclose the content of the talks between Defense  Min-
ister  Qin  Jiwei  and Pawar, the first Indian defense minister to come to
China.

They were believed to have discussed measures to reduce  tensions  on  the
two  countries'  mountainous  border, still heavily guarded on both sides.
India and China fought  a  border  war  in  1962  and  relations  remained
strained until Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi visited Beijing in 1988.

Since then, the two sides have  begun  talks  on  resolving  their  border
dispute.

Pawar arrived Friday night accompanied by Defense Secretary N.N. Vohra and
border experts.

Pawar and his delegation spent the afternoon meeting with a Chinese  dele-
gation led by Qin, Venu said.

"It is essentially an exchange of views," the embassy official  said,  ad-
ding that it wasn't expected to result in any formal agreement.

"It is a very important visit. We see it as  a  major  confidence-building
measure," he said.

Pawar is scheduled to meet Sunday with Premier  Li  Peng,  Venu  said.  He
flies to Shanghai on Tuesday and returns home on Thursday.

He will visit a Chinese tank division in Beijing and air force  and  naval
stations in Shanghai, Venu said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. China Says Taiwan Law on Better Ties Unacceptable....................25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:    A CND Reader
Source:  Reuter News Service, 7/21/92

BEIJING -- Beijing said on Tuesday a landmark law passed by  rival  Taipei
to  improve  relations  was  unacceptable but added that "China will never
swallow up Taiwan".

State television quoted Li Qingzhou, deputy director of the Central Office
for Taiwan Affairs, as saying: "The People's Republic of China is the only
government of China and Taiwan is part of China.

"This law means one country, two governments,  which  we  cannot  accept."
Taiwan,  which  Beijing  considers  a  breakaway  province,  still  claims
sovereignty over the mainland. Its Nationalist rulers fled to  the  island
in 1949 after their civil war defeat.

Tensions have eased in recent years and indirect Taiwanese  investment  on
the  mainland has boomed. A law passed last Friday authorised Taiwan's ca-
binet to lift decades-old bans on a wide range of contacts with China.

Taipei officials said the bans would be lifted only if China made  conces-
sions  such as renouncing the use of force against Taiwan and stopping ef-
forts to isolate it diplomatically.

Li did not directly address specific items in the 96-article statute.   He
said  China  still  hoped  that Taiwan could be reunited with the mainland
through negotiations. "China will never swallow up Taiwan and Taiwan  will
never swallow up China," Li said.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|             Executive Editors:     Junjie Hu       (U.S.A.)            |
|                                    Bo Xiong        (U.S.A.)            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                 |
|  (1) Global News (Daily)            (2) US Regional News               |
|  (3) Canada Regional News           (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News |
|  (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                        |
|  (6) Several Information Packages                                      |
| For subscription information, mail to:   [email-masked]   |
| News contributions should be sent to:  [email-masked]   |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+